• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Book Recommendation - Mystery/Detective

People of ShrimperZone, I am looking for recommendations for a book, with a mystery or detective storyline. One that would be suitable for adults of all ages.

Talk to me

If you like detective / crime fiction, I'd recommend Stuart MacBride. I've read all five in the series and they are very good, laced with gory murders and black humour.

Others I'd recommend are Michael Connelly, Henning Mankell, Peter Robinson & Peter James.

Personally i quite like the Ian Rankin Rebus series of novels though the TV adaptation was truly awful!

My girlfriend always reads James Patterson.
They are crime / detective stories. he has many books out based on some detectives. You should really read them in order as through out the books refers to previous characters. Alex Cross is the most popular novels he writes about - then the womens murder club series. The most recent is on a detective on Michael Bennnett - three of those so far the first one of this series is Run for your life.

If you get one of his recent books the in which they were written are listed.
Good reading short chapters and enjoyable so my girlfriend tells me

Good luck

The Reacher series by Lee Child. These are so good I usually buy the hardback as I cant wait for the paperback to come out.

http://www.leechild.com/

Greg Iles is great - http://www.gregiles.com/ and have just started reading a few from Harlan Coben. http://www.harlancoben.com/

I was looking for a series from someone I hadnt read and saw some of his in Tescos for £2. Thought they would be crap at that price but are very entertaining.

Read No Time For Goodbye or Too Close To Home by Linwood Barclay or Hold Tight by Harlan Coben. Excellent books that keep you wondering what's going to happen next.

Read No Time For Goodbye or Too Close To Home by Linwood Barclay or Hold Tight by Harlan Coben. Excellent books that keep you wondering what's going to happen next.

I found Too Close To Home a bit predictable, but both books are real page turners. Harlan Coburn is a good call as is Jeffrey Deaver creator of Lincoln Rhyme played by Denzel Washington in The Bone Collector.

I am currently reading a financial crime thriller by an author called Ronnie Martin - Its called "The Great Southend Mystery". Its about a small time property developer who sets about trying to pull off one of the greatest blags in history. Highly recommended.

Fred Vargas is fantastic, as is Henning Mankell, John Connolly, Elmore Leonard, George Pelecanos (wrote for The Wire as well). Old school, check out Conan Doyle - Sherlock Holmes, classic writing.

ps I thought the Rebus works were great on telly; I found the books themselves a bit tired after the first half a dozen.

Love Agatha Christie's books, The Murder of Roger Ackroyd is one of her best, Depends on the crowd you're selecting for really.

Third call for Harlen Coben - genius! I really liked 'The False Inspector Dew' by Peter Lovesy and 'The Daughter of Time' by Josephine Tey - the Princes in the Tower story as a detective novel. Cracking!

CJ Sansom books re Shardlake stories.

Set in Henry 8th time period, with true facts and obviously the murder fiction element, brilliant read, and a hard to gues who dunnit !!

I am currently reading a financial crime thriller by an author called Ronnie Martin - Its called "The Great Southend Mystery". Its about a small time property developer who sets about trying to pull off one of the greatest blags in history. Highly recommended.

How does it end how does it end oh do tell.

Back