• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
We have a decent record at home to Bradford City. Their win last season courtesy of a very late goal was their first in 15 attempts.

Tomorrow's referee, Stephen Martin from Stafford, takes charge of his first match at Roots Hall in his first season at this level.

His card count in the Blue Square Conference last season was on the high side and his non league career contains more than his share of controversy and seemingly maverick red cards.

He got his League career off to a lively start with a red in his first match but since then his card count has dropped to well below average with 13 matches producing 33 yellows and just that one red.

The second of his 13 matches was our 3-3 draw at Northampton (all goals in the second half), when Cresswell popped up with a last minute equaliser and he cautioned Ferdinand and Spicer and a couple of theirs.

Assisting will be Mike Blackledge from Peterborough and Ian Fissenden from Gravesend. David Avent from Northampton will be 4th Official.

Elsewhere, Darren Deadman will be taking his own brand of jolly bonhomie to Leyton Orient and Kettle referees Brentford.

We have a decent record at home to Bradford City. Their win last season courtesy of a very late goal was their first in 15 attempts.

Tomorrow's referee, Stephen Martin from Stafford, takes charge of his first match at Roots Hall in his first season at this level.

His card count in the Blue Square Conference last season was on the high side and his non league career contains more than his share of controversy and seemingly maverick red cards.

He got his League career off to a lively start with a red in his first match but since then his card count has dropped to well below average with 13 matches producing 33 yellows and just that one red.

The second of his 13 matches was our 3-3 draw at Northampton (all goals in the second half), when Cresswell popped up with a last minute equaliser and he cautioned Ferdinand and Spicer and a couple of theirs.

Assisting will be Mike Blackledge from Peterborough and Ian Fissenden from Gravesend. David Avent from Northampton will be 4th Official.

Elsewhere, Darren Deadman will be taking his own brand of jolly bonhomie to Leyton Orient and Kettle referees Brentford.
Last season he gave Braintree's striker a second yellow in the first half for diving, when he'd been felled by the York keeper. Both teams contacted the FA to say the decision was wrong and the guy should not serve a ban. That doesn't happen often...

If he's only shown 33 yellows in 13 games, he's probably too lenient and lets players get away with all sorts - maybe he's intimidated by refereeing a higher level? Even the red card game he only got his book out twice, both for the Flanaghan at Gillingham (who deserved what he got, by all accounts).

Last season he gave Braintree's striker a second yellow in the first half for diving, when he'd been felled by the York keeper. Both teams contacted the FA to say the decision was wrong and the guy should not serve a ban. That doesn't happen often...

If he's only shown 33 yellows in 13 games, he's probably too lenient and lets players get away with all sorts - maybe he's intimidated by refereeing a higher level? Even the red card game he only got his book out twice, both for the Flanaghan at Gillingham (who deserved what he got, by all accounts).

Or maybe he's a referee who can communicate well with players without resorting to unnecessary cautions? We'll see tomorrow.

Only got his book out twice ? If you don't count the caution for Wycombe's Joel Grant and hopefully he also used it to record the game's solitary goal, which, sadly, went to Gillingham. :winking:

So he did - I misinterpreted the front page data on the game at http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/wycombe-wanderers-gillingham-fc/index/spielbericht_2226357.html

I've not seen many refs who keep their cards in their pocket look like they're in control of the game. It's bad enough that we can have 22 yellow cards for the same offence (not counting subs) before anyone actually gets to pay any sort of price for it by spending time off the pitch, without referees having to 'let players off' first with a talking to when they know perfectly well what they are doing.

As a fan I'd feel like my £22 has been spoilt if I went home having seen 44 promising quick breaks spoilt by a cynical shirt pull or bustled over in the centre circle, without seeing anyone sent off for it. But so many deliberate fouls which spoil the game seem to go unpunished.

So he did - I misinterpreted the front page data on the game at http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/wycombe-wanderers-gillingham-fc/index/spielbericht_2226357.html

I've not seen many refs who keep their cards in their pocket look like they're in control of the game. It's bad enough that we can have 22 yellow cards for the same offence (not counting subs) before anyone actually gets to pay any sort of price for it by spending time off the pitch, without referees having to 'let players off' first with a talking to when they know perfectly well what they are doing.

As a fan I'd feel like my £22 has been spoilt if I went home having seen 44 promising quick breaks spoilt by a cynical shirt pull or bustled over in the centre circle, without seeing anyone sent off for it. But so many deliberate fouls which spoil the game seem to go unpunished.

Sin bin for a meaningful time, like 20 minutes. And while we are at it, official timekeeper and once time is up game continues until ball is out of play or dead, not the current nonsense of e.g. letting a keeper take a kick and then blowing while the ball is in the air.

Back