• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Brexit negotiations thread

Er, the EU is not a member of NATO.

Yes but the countries that have not payed (Germany are the worst) are all EU. They are still NATO members and no courts have forced them to pay.

Besides there is so much corruption that many EU projects like roads and desalinisation plants go hugely over budget or are left half finished. The EU goes conveniently silent because they don't want anyone looking into it. Then again with ingrained history of corruption at the highest level in many of the member states, what do you expect.

Yes but the countries that have not payed (Germany are the worst) are all EU. They are still NATO members and no courts have forced them to pay.

Besides there is so much corruption that many EU projects like roads and desalinisation plants go hugely over budget or are left half finished. The EU goes conveniently silent because they don't want anyone looking into it. Then again with ingrained history of corruption at the highest level in many of the member states, what do you expect.

This is such an obvious non-sequitur at a time when we're on the cusp of a Brexit deal with the EU.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-46300247

Something you are fond of doing, correcting a point previously made except in this case it was relevent.

While we're on the subject of non-sequiturs, I'd recommend Jonathan Coe's Middle England,a **** Brexit novel.The dustjacket contains the memorable quotation: "It was tempting to think,at times like this,that some bizarre hysteria had gripped the British people."

But that is not the point you made. You wrongly asserted the EU was avoiding £300bn in payments to NATO. As the EU is not part of NATO it, as an organisation, owes NATO nothing.

I also doubt you claims about Germany not paying their contribution. From the research I have done, there is not set amount that each country has to contribute, only a guideline of 2% of GDP.

Also, this budget is for salaries, buildings, R&D, funding operations etc. Each country has to pay for the upkeep of their own armed forces and equipment.

Of course, you could always post some evidence that I am wrong

We're on the cusp of a deal with the EU this weekend over the Brexit divorce terms and our future trading arrangements with the EU .

Surely that is more important than someone trying to distract attention by spurious claims over the EU's non-existent payments to Nato?

Last edited:
But that is not the point you made. You wrongly asserted the EU was avoiding £300bn in payments to NATO. As the EU is not part of NATO it, as an organisation, owes NATO nothing.

I also doubt you claims about Germany not paying their contribution. From the research I have done, there is not set amount that each country has to contribute, only a guideline of 2% of GDP.

Also, this budget is for salaries, buildings, R&D, funding operations etc. Each country has to pay for the upkeep of their own armed forces and equipment.

Of course, you could always post some evidence that I am wrong

Wrong again suitcase. Its the countries in the EU who have avoided their payments. But of course remoaners will defend absolutely anything the EU gets up to.

So we might as well take their lead and not pay our EU contributions

Wrong again suitcase. Its the countries in the EU who have avoided their payments. But of course remoaners will defend absolutely anything the EU gets up to.

So we might as well take their lead and not pay our EU contributions

You are just twisting your own words to try and make them fit a premise that simply isn't true.

There is no specific amount that countries have to pay towards the NATO budget.

You are just twisting your own words to try and make them fit a premise that simply isn't true.

There is no specific amount that countries have to pay towards the NATO budget.

Are you saying there are countries within the EU who take the p*** and expect others to pay for them...….Well I am shocked

Surely the most important question here, is what will happen if May's Brexit deal is approved by the EU this weekend and voted down, (which seems highly likely), by the UK parliament? Another general election in early 2019, anybody?

Last edited:
Personally i will be surprised if it's so early in 2019, well not within the 1st half of the year anyway. I think both the Conservative challengers to her and Labour will want her to see it through, as it would bring massive ammo to oust her if it goes tits up, so to speak.

Personally i will be surprised if it's so early in 2019, well not within the 1st half of the year anyway. I think both the Conservative challengers to her and Labour will want her to see it through, as it would bring massive ammo to oust her if it goes tits up, so to speak.

We're in the realm of the unknown.We'll just have to wait and see.

Raab states on Radio 4's Today programme that staying in the EU would be preferential to May's negotiated deal.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ement-text-amid-spanish-threats-politics-live

May is fooling herself if she thinks her deal is getting through Parliament and despite the noise of Johnson & Mogg & Co, the vast majority of MPs won't want the chaos of a no-deal Brexit.

What next? The noise of a no-Brexit is getting louder. Lets hope the country sees sense after 2 1/2yrs of self inflicted madness.

leave still odds on favourite though:

Another EU referendum before 2020
No 8/15
Yes 11/8

UK to leave the EU by 29th March 2019
Yes 8/11
No 1/1

Back