• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Brexit negotiations thread

so nothing official then.

You really think those who are doing the talking are going to pipe up and say it's going to be a catastrophe and we haven't got the faintest idea what this supposed deal will look like?

so nothing official then.

He's most certainly an ex-official at the highest level.Are you pro -Brexit now or what?

http://www.politico.eu/article/britain-prepares-to-show-its-brexit-hand-customs-trade-agreement/

Not official....but we may learn more next week regarding the UK's positions.

Here's the Guardian's take:-https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/aug/07/government-to-release-key-brexit-policy-papers.

"Chuka Umunna, a Labour MP and supporter of Open Britain, said it showed “you shouldn’t believe everything you read on the side of a bus or that you hear from Boris Johnson’s mouth”

He's most certainly an ex-official at the highest level.Are you pro -Brexit now or what?

Here's the Guardian's take:-https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/aug/07/government-to-release-key-brexit-policy-papers.

"Chuka Umunna, a Labour MP and supporter of Open Britain, said it showed “you shouldn’t believe everything you read on the side of a bus or that you hear from Boris Johnson’s mouth”

After being exposed for misrepresentation themselves.....no doubt Chuka will be giving the same advice on believing Open Britain.

One of the black hats ( supervisors) on site today was banging on about how great brexit will be....... surrounded by poles and Romanians and glossing over his employer, Dragados, a Spainish company.

Plum, sprung to mind.

Perhaps like some he doesn't want the country to go down the plug hole.
Oh, by the way, he's was right, it's not official.

If people are suddenly very surprised that extremely senior politicians use private jets then they need to give their head a wobble. Theresa May was using one for her election campaign!

The EU demanding a £36bn divorce bill. I guess those private charter planes won't pay for themselves... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08/09/juncker-spent-24000-private-flight-rome/

I think we will see a lot of this, lazy journalism. We are starting to see the things dismissed as "scaremongering" becoming reality. The easiest way to explain this is to either blame the EU or try to disconnect them from Brexit.

This isn't a "divorce bill", its the UK being asked to cover its liabilities, and there was always going to be a payment of some sort. Whilst the figures weren't known at the time of the referendum, the concept of having some sort of debt to clear was. It is a shame we didn't listen when we were told this, preferring instead to look at Nigels NHS bus. Imagine how far £36bn would go in the NHS.

My take on the 'Divorce Bill' is that whilst it cannot legally be enforced, the UK will have a duty towards certain schemes / projects etc and it is likely that some interests might well be worth keeping hold of.

I doubt that even the most fervent remainer is able to explain or breakdown how the EU arrives at figures that have been anywhere between 30 - 100 billion Euro's.

Ultimately there is a fine dividing line between what can be considered a 'liability', against what may be termed a commitment ...I disagree with Lord Footballs use of the word debt.

If the UK has liabilities then in turn it can only follow the EU has also, a good example would be UK capital held in the ECB.

My personal view would be to offer 30 billion less their liabilities towards us...and also to include 2 years transition.

Or to let the whole matter go to a 3rd party body to adjudicate on what if any the UK should pay.

The EU demanding a £36bn divorce bill. I guess those private charter planes won't pay for themselves... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08/09/juncker-spent-24000-private-flight-rome/

This figure is certaintly towards the lower end of the spectrum that I've see,(Please excuse me if I don't follow up your Torygraph link).:winking:

Still the silly season will have finished by the end of the month and we'll have more "hard" negotiation stories again from September,:omg:

I expect the answer to that question lies in the origins of EU itself and how it has managed to grow, where it presently has primacy in law and regulates large portions of what and how we do things.

From a legal point of view I would think there is much case law that can be reviewed keeping what is necessary and good and dispensing what is not.

For the sake of trade a body mate up of equivalencies could be set up to adjudicate where necessary upon dispute.

I am not talking about a power grab over night here, and where it makes sense to follow the EU so we should.

The thrust of much discussion on here centres around 'but this and that are awfully difficult things to do'....and I wont pretend that certain parts of our withdrawal is not intricate and complicated...Lord Footballs puts forward rules of origin as a point in hand and the cumulative nature of certain finished goods and products that will need to be exported.

I would also agree with LF that are risks, equally there will be opportunities...because something is difficult we should not shy away from doing it....as Southend supporters this should be easy to understand.

A body could be set up to adjudicate where necessary upon dispute. We could call it the European Court of Justice.

But what's going to be the basis upon which they are going to adjudicate? It would need a whole system of standards to be set up. That is going to be incredibly time consuming and that isn't going to be set up and agreed in 20 months. Even if we had a three year extension that's going to be pushing it.

And if it's just going to be based upon the existing regulations, can you remind me what the supposed benefit is again?

ps Sure, there will be some opportunities. But the downsides far outweigh the opportunities.

Back