• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Brexit negotiations thread

No mention of Tusk being much more upbeat and even Juncker toneing down the anti UK sentiment? I wonder why.

Much more fun to knock us it would seem. Much of as you were from Spain, nothing new there, but utterings ariseing in Surrey with alarming regularity. Becoming a tad selective with the reports.
I just passed on what was on my twitter feed - the first of which was the Telegraph and they are the last people I'd expect to be reporting cabinet infighting unless it is actually happening.

No mention of Tusk being much more upbeat and even Juncker toneing down the anti UK sentiment? I wonder why.

Much more fun to knock us it would seem. Much of as you were from Spain, nothing new there, but utterings ariseing in Surrey with alarming regularity. Becoming a tad selective with the reports.

I'd suggest the man we really want to be saying positive stuff is Barnier. He is after all "in the room". What I really want to hear is Davies and Barnier saying the same things. But they're not.

And I really want something positive to come out of this, something that works, on day one, that doesn't **** us all over economically for years to come. We should all want that, regardless of how we voted.

Whether we think it's achievable, is another thing entirely.

I'd suggest the man we really want to be saying positive stuff is Barnier. He is after all "in the room". What I really want to hear is Davies and Barnier saying the same things. But they're not.

And I really want something positive to come out of this, something that works, on day one, that doesn't **** us all over economically for years to come. We should all want that, regardless of how we voted.

Whether we think it's achievable, is another thing entirely.

And Barnier answers to who? With the greatest of respect Lord Football who might be not in the room but has first dibs on listening through the door, it certainly sounds like progress is being made. Remember, I voted remain and want a decent outcome but the stroppy UKIP'er in me still raises its head but it sounds that better noises are coming out of Europe, no?

And Barnier answers to who? With the greatest of respect Lord Football who might be not in the room but has first dibs on listening through the door, it certainly sounds like progress is being made. Remember, I voted remain and want a decent outcome but the stroppy UKIP'er in me still raises its head but it sounds that better noises are coming out of Europe, no?

Who Barnier listens to is, in fact, a really good question.

Barnier has a mandate, agreed by the 27, and he will negotiate on that. In practice he listens to that, and that only.

Junker, similarly, should be following the mandate of the 27 but, a bit like our own Boris Johnson, has a habit of flapping his lips without engaging his brain. I've generally learned to ignore both. (though as a Brit I get angry at the general ****wittery of our Foreign Secretary)

Tusk is a consummate politician and will attempt to make the right noises. May does the same for the UK (and opinions vary on how well she does that).

I just get the impression that they are more organised and co-ordinated than we are.

Barnier has a mandate, agreed by the 27, and he will negotiate on that. In practice he listens to that, and that only.

Junker, similarly, should be following the mandate of the 27 but, a bit like our own Boris Johnson, has a habit of flapping his lips without engaging his brain. I've generally learned to ignore both. (though as a Brit I get angry at the general ****wittery of our Foreign Secretary)

Tusk is a consummate politician and will attempt to make the right noises. May does the same for the UK (and opinions vary on how well she does that).

I just get the impression that they are more organised and co-ordinated than we are.

I'd say Mutti first and Macron afterwards.

FWIW,I agree with your "impression."

I presume you would agree with the article written by Sir Ivan Rodgers?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...u-ambassador-article-50-screwed-a8019991.html

We have walked into this without fully understanding the procedures and without carefully considering what, in the end, we really wish for. Rather like setting off the timer in a bomb, with out being clear as to how to defuse it.:sad: I wonder whether May has considered following the purported comment and action of her predecessor after the referendum and prior to resigning, 'someone else can clear up this s**t!'

I presume you would agree with the article written by Sir Ivan Rodgers?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...u-ambassador-article-50-screwed-a8019991.html

We have walked into this without fully understanding the procedures and without carefully considering what, in the end, we really wish for. Rather like setting off the timer in a bomb, with out being clear as to how to defuse it.:sad: I wonder whether May has considered following the purported comment and action of her predecessor after the referendum and prior to resigning, 'someone else can clear up this s**t!'

I'll give her some credit for hanging around trying to clear up this s**t. Bigger bollocks than the last one, that's for sure.

After Brexit a new trade deal with the US couid be done 'in the blink of an eye'.............as long as............................!!!!!!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/b...-imports-exports-european-union-a8040571.html

What he actually said was "He said that he hopes that a free trade agreement between the US and the UK would take fewer than 10 years to negotiate".

I'll let that hang there for a bit.....

"Fewer than ten years". So that is a timeline. Not next week, a couple of months, two years but less than a decade. Important words.

What he actually said was "He said that he hopes that a free trade agreement between the US and the UK would take fewer than 10 years to negotiate".

I'll let that hang there for a bit.....

"Fewer than ten years". So that is a timeline. Not next week, a couple of months, two years but less than a decade. Important words.

Fortunately we don't do a lot of trade with the USA but we do with the EU.Hang on.:facepalm:

Do you think Maybot is panicking a bit? She wants to put the date we're (supposedly) going to leave into law so THERE IS NO ESCAPING THE WILL OF THE BRITISH PEOPLE.

Do you think Maybot is panicking a bit? She wants to put the date we're (supposedly) going to leave into law so THERE IS NO ESCAPING THE WILL OF THE BRITISH PEOPLE.

Ha! That's not what the bloke who wrote Article 50 says:-

"Lord Kerr, the former diplomat who helped draft Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty - the mechanism the UK has used to exit the EU - said putting the Brexit date on the bill did not mean the withdrawal process was irreversible.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-41936428

And trade talks won't start until the divorce bill is settled, and that must be done "in the next two weeks".

Its Project Fear I tells you, Project Fear.

I mean who said this Brexit would be easy?

Oh

Wait.

And trade talks won't start until the divorce bill is settled, and that must be done "in the next two weeks".

Its Project Fear I tells you, Project Fear.

I mean who said this Brexit would be easy?

Oh

Wait.

How much is it? The EU are being just as vague on the amount as our lot are.

I believe the "BILL" for remaining would be accepting the Euro and dropping the pound, direct taxation from the EU, further loss of sovereignty, joining a central EU armed forces AND the the acceptance of possibly millions of new citizens from Serbia, Albania, Kosovo, Turkey (have I missed any extra negative contributors out)?
Oh yes, economically the EU will behave as badly towards us (the UK) as it can AND that is NOT how supposed friends, allies , neighbours and trading partners should; but then why does that not send a message to the remainers that these are friends best dropped?
For sure it will cost the UK billions for many years but I believe history will judge it to be the correct decision.

The UK have been asked what they're prepared to pay for Brexit and HMG are the ones who appear to be stalling.

"Although the EU doesn't want a precise figure, it wants the UK to clarify what it's willing to pay to live up to the financial commitments made as a member."

Good point, well Lord Football, how much is it then?

See above

I believe the "BILL" for remaining would be accepting the Euro and dropping the pound, direct taxation from the EU, further loss of sovereignty, joining a central EU armed forces AND the the acceptance of possibly millions of new citizens from Serbia, Albania, Kosovo, Turkey (have I missed any extra negative contributors out)?
Oh yes, economically the EU will behave as badly towards us (the UK) as it can AND that is NOT how supposed friends, allies , neighbours and trading partners should; but then why does that not send a message to the remainers that these are friends best dropped?
For sure it will cost the UK billions for many years but I believe history will judge it to be the correct decision.

Sorry but your opening sentence is just as wrong as your closing one.Brexit on WTO terms would be a car crash for the UK economy..

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-41941414

once they know they figures they should let the public know so we can decide if that is acceptible

Back