• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Brexit negotiations thread

They wouldn't necessarily need to relocate completely, just move that particular part of their operation. It could be drastic or it could be as simple as moving a server or two and some IT support staff, reassigning the same to a non-UK entity. The truth is likely to lie somewhere inbetween.

Precisely.

Nope, you misunderstood.

I asked you what banks might move their offices (not move a few people or the odd department or a building) 'and you replied - 'its all the major investment banks'

Try again. What's to misunderstand about that then......eh?????

I asked you what banks might move their offices (not move a few people or the odd department or a building) 'and you replied - 'its all the major investment banks'

Try again. What's to misunderstand about that then......eh?????

You tell me, you misunderstood, not me.

In fairness, I can see why you thought that is what I meant, but it is, nevertheless, a misunderstanding.

As I've mentioned in the past (probably on this thread, but who knows!) moving functions (perhaps that's the word I should have used) will happen piecemeal, i.e. it won't all happen over night. It might take years, but there is a very real chance that it will happen. Suddenly in, say, 10 years time our banking industry will be much smaller than it is now, and will therefore be contributing far less to our GDP. At that point it will be difficult to definitively say what has caused the decline since there will be so many other variables to take into consideration.

The fact is that all banks are making contingency plans (friends of mine are actually actively involved in those plans since they're high level management). Some of these friends have already moved some of their functions abroad. For example, one friend is an MD in compliance at one bank (I don't want to mention names) where they have already moved some teams to Paris. He's wasn't overly happy since he now has to manage them remotely, and travel to Paris more regularly.

Whether all these plans are put into practice or not will depend on the deal that is struck. As a friend also said, the EU see this as a chance to "steal" business, but as Callan also says (assuming my brain is in gear today) that will be limited to a certain level because the EU will still want to access capital from the UK. That won't mean no business will be lost, it just means probably won't be as bad as I suspected.

Last edited:
Actually, this is a story about nothing.

Many negotiations of this nature are carried out under "commercial in confidence". I'd expect that most of the detailed Brexit negotiations with the EU will be carried out under the same or similar terms.

There are plenty of things in the Brexit world that should concern people, but this one really is "project fear".

Many negotiations of this nature are carried out under "commercial in confidence". I'd expect that most of the detailed Brexit negotiations with the EU will be carried out under the same or similar terms.

There are plenty of things in the Brexit world that should concern people, but this one really is "project fear".

You would have thought us SUFC fans would be used to that by now. All our negotiations are kept secret. We never get to find out how much money we wasted on [insert the name of the player you hate the most here].

Of course I am aware that these negotiations are usually secret, as with TTP/TTIP and CETA. The thing that caught my attention was that nothing would be revealed until FOUR years AFTER the deal had been concluded.........is that normal?

Of course I am aware that these negotiations are usually secret, as with TTP/TTIP and CETA. The thing that caught my attention was that nothing would be revealed until FOUR years AFTER the deal had been concluded.........is that normal?

I doubt that it is normal BUT when the UK is needing to make a host of such deals it would be a bit silly & weak positioning to tell all and sundry what the deal with the US cost etc.

Unless something really odd is happening, you'd have thought that if you got a deal you would want to use the benefits of that deal as soon as you can. So delaying it four years seems wholly impracticable. Of course, it would also need ratifying in UK legislation so would need to go through Parliamentary scrutiny, Committee stages and debate.

Perhaps there's something I'm missing here? :unsure:

We import more than we export from the EU and thus have a trade imbalance with them ,which is why they'll be pleased to give us a trade deal.

However,the City can't continue with financial services passporting, unless we're members of the single market,which HMG have stated we won't be once we leave the EU.

How to square the circle? :unsure:

Who cares about trade, money and all that pointless nonsense when we're going to get BLUE passports! That's taking back that mother-funking control right there! In your face Brussels with your nonsense purple passports that get you into EU countries really quickl...... oh :blush:

Who cares about trade, money and all that pointless nonsense when we're going to get BLUE passports! That's taking back that mother-funking control right there! In your face Brussels with your nonsense purple passports that get you into EU countries really quickl...... oh :blush:

But when I renew my passport next year (for the next 10 years), it'll still be a purple one and have the EU on the front,right? :whistling:,

But when I renew my passport next year (for the next 10 years), it'll still be a purple one and have the EU on the front,right? :whistling:,

I've had a word with BoJo - you're getting a very special blue & white striped one that looks oddly similar to the Col Ewe home kit....... :whistling:

Weren't the old ones black anyway? The one I had in the 80s/90s was certainly darker than this.

5a3cd1c72100002c005f579a.jpeg

Either way, when Jess Phillips called Brexit 'your vanity project' when talking to Peter Bone on the Daily Politics this week, she couldn't have put it better.

Yippee, that Brandon Lewis has got it spot on. I'm so overjoyed at getting our passports blue again, I completely forgot to ask him what he was going to do about the homeless people sleeping in the old M and S shop doorway 150 yards away from his constituency office.
Oh well, never mind, at least we're taking back control.

Back