• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I listened to BBC Essex and we seemed to have quite a few corners second half but as usual all I heard on the commentary was "headed clear" or "straight into the goalies hands" and when Rovers had a corner it was usually met by one of their heads! Can't any of our players attack balls with their head's?!!!:angry:

Most corners didn't beat the first man, were too near the goalie, or sailed over everyone's heads. Wordsworth was the main culprit.

Snippets from Phil Brown's interview

"I'm shocked by that. I was disgusted by my team in the first half. We could have been 2-0 or 3-0 down after five minutes."

"The only positive is that we got 65 minutes from Nile and Macca."

"You saw an honest performance from Bristol Rovers and a dishonest performance from my team. "

"I have to iron out the dishonesty either through making changes or through moving people on."

"I think there's a fear in the dressing room about getting promotion. One or two might think they wouldn't get the deals they want."

Q. Are Blues still in the shake up for the play-offs? PB: "Not a chance. Not a chance with that kind of performance."

"This was unacceptable behaviour let alone performance."

These are not comments that in the public domain which will do anyone any good at all. At best they are immature. And it's not the first time that undoubted passion has been mis-directed. Some of the players may need a shake up but this is not the way to stir up a united front for the campaign that remains.

"I'm shocked by that. I was disgusted by my team in the first half. We could have been 2-0 or 3-0 down after five minutes."

"You saw an honest performance from Bristol Rovers and a dishonest performance from my team. "

"I have to iron out the dishonesty either through making changes or through moving people on."

"I think there's a fear in the dressing room about getting promotion. One or two might think they wouldn't get the deals they want."

Q. Are Blues still in the shake up for the play-offs? PB: "Not a chance. Not a chance with that kind of performance."

These are not comments that in the public domain which will do anyone any good at all. At best they are immature. And it's not the first time that undoubted passion has been mis-directed. Some of the players may need a shake up but this is not the way to stir up a united front for the campaign that remains.

Really? After the Port Vale horror show? 'Head' and 'Sand' come to mind. :stunned:

I agree SS, these are NOT comments that should be aired, they do no one any good

McLaughlin and McGlashan?

Neither defend well, and let's not forget when we started the season with those two out wide we conceded for fun. For me, Atkinson and McLaughlin is the best combo, a good mix of defense and attack.

Reaction of a narcissist - couldn't blame the ref this week - couldn't accept any blame himself - he should have kept them grounded after the Scunthorpe win. Paul Clark commented after that game that he thought the players and management were over celebrating - just like they did after the Col U victory last season. Clearly they have lost the intensity that they had and it's very hard to get it back without refreshing the team. Unfortunately we have gone for numbers again and not quality. Is there anyone who can come in and make a difference. Who are these dishonest players? I think they all try some are not quite good enough for a top six team over a season.

We've improved on last season, have been more entertaining but over 46 games are not going to be good enough. We still lack that quick footed skilful player in midfield.

Will Brown ever say - " the best team won they were better than us" without slamming the squad for their mentality and attitude when really one or two are just short on ability.

Personally feared we would lose this one and it proved the case.

I couldn't believe that after such abject performances that PB would give certain players another go.

Gonna play devil's advocate here and say that smith is not up to the job at this stage in his career, but we have no other choice. Next season a experienced keeper of quality is required.

Demetriou for me has been very poor defensively the last few games. Give John white a start.

Atkinson and Timlin are essentially hard working league 2 players who are giving their best in league 1. No shame in that ,but it does leave us without quality. Both out wide is criminal!

Cox our marquee signing has been **** poor the last couple of matches but you could argue that he thrives on service that he is not currently getting.

Don't get me started with wordsworth. Can be class but when the going gets tough he goes missing. Needs dropping.

Personally I would have a shake up for coventry.

I'd go.

Smith

White Thompson Ferdinand Coker

Robinson leonard Amos mclaughlin

Fortune Ranger

Reaction of a narcissist - couldn't blame the ref this week - couldn't accept any blame himself - he should have kept them grounded after the Scunthorpe win. Paul Clark commented after that game that he thought the players and management were over celebrating - just like they did after the Col U victory last season. Clearly they have lost the intensity that they had and it's very hard to get it back without refreshing the team. Unfortunately we have gone for numbers again and not quality. Is there anyone who can come in and make a difference. Who are these dishonest players? I think they all try some are not quite good enough for a top six team over a season.

We've improved on last season, have been more entertaining but over 46 games are not going to be good enough. We still lack that quick footed skilful player in midfield.

Will Brown ever say - " the best team won they were better than us" without slamming the squad for their mentality and attitude when really one or two are just short on ability.

That sums up my entire feeling about Brown, someone else is always to blame. Today he couldn't blame the ref, so reverts to slamming the players:sad:.

Lack of class for me, I still think that 'I'm a Prem manager' attitude is there. Undoubtably he's been one of our more successful managers, but somehow he still leaves a bad taste in the mouth, for me at least :unsure:.

Now, I don't want to be anti-Brown as I think he's done an incredible job turning it around BUT...
1) For a few weeks now we have been poor and getting away with results. Oxford was woeful but we came away with the win and has been much the same both home and away, scraping narrow wins or draws. It was clear that changes were needed and last weekend everyone agreed that we desperately needed more width. Yet Brown stuck with an unchanged line-up. This is the kind of stubbornness that saw us get battered 4-0 for three or four consecutive away games early in the season - face up to it, realise it isn't working and change it.
2) Hines, Nouble and Amos don't even have 90 minutes between them, only Amos was on the bench today and Hines hasn't been involved since Fleetwood. Robinson is yet to start. Why did we spend the money on them in January? Amos deserves a chance in midfield and Robinson will be in contention up-front.

That line about dishonesty and not wanting to go up because it might affect their future is unbelievable. Of those who started today, only Ferdinand, Thompson, Lenny, Wordsworth and Atkinson have contracts expiring in the summer. Lenny has an option so doubt that would effect him, can't imagine Ferdinand doing that given what a professional he is, same for Atkinson. Thompson will get a contract regardless.

Now, I don't want to be anti-Brown as I think he's done an incredible job turning it around BUT...

That line about dishonesty and not wanting to go up because it might affect their future is unbelievable. Of those who started today, only Ferdinand, Thompson, Lenny, Wordsworth and Atkinson have contracts expiring in the summer. Lenny has an option so doubt that would effect him, can't imagine Ferdinand doing that given what a professional he is, same for Atkinson. Thompson will get a contract regardless.

Correct, simply put the squad ought to be filled with players who would be worthy of being in a champship league team, if they can't be good enough for the next step up than they would be let go at the end of the season anyway surely?

Pretty much agree with all of this the first half was awful another wide pitch and we had no natural winger or pace on the pitch. For anyone who didn't go it was a rerun of last Saturdays first half. Smith looks like a boy trying to do a mans job and yes I k is he is one of our own and yes I know he won't get better unless he plays but he isn't good enough yet. No organisation of his defence no shouts to claim the ball and poor distribution. Atkinson and Demetriou do not offer enough defensively or attacking wise on right hand side of pitch. Don't think I remember either of them making a tackle today time for John White to come back in the side. Poor first half but it was no surprise to any of us as soon as we saw the team selection we knew it was a wasted journey. Bristol wasn't up to much either what a dirty deprived looking city.

Obviously the blue eyed boy just like Kevan Hurst was, no matter how bad he played he was selected!

Didn't KH eventually get dropped and transferred?

I'd say he wasn't really up to L1 standard myself (and at his age he knew it).

Even at his best in L2, he was very much a confidence player.Sometimes hot and sometimes cold.

Didnt take long for the PB knockers to get going again,I say good on PB for speaking a few truths ,the only players who wont like what he said are the ones not giving 100% and im sure he knows who they are.You PB knockers seem to forget ,its his job that is put online by those players who cannot orare just to lazy to give 100% ,myself i hope he does weed them out and shift them on .

Didnt take long for the PB knockers to get going again,I say good on PB for speaking a few truths ,the only players who wont like what he said are the ones not giving 100% and im sure he knows who they are.You PB knockers seem to forget ,its his job that is put online by those players who cannot orare just to lazy to give 100% ,myself i hope he does weed them out and shift them on .

Never knew PB wore a bra:smile::hilarious:

1) For a few weeks now we have been poor and getting away with results. Oxford was woeful but we came away with the win and has been much the same both home and away, scraping narrow wins or draws. It was clear that changes were needed and last weekend everyone agreed that we desperately needed more width. Yet Brown stuck with an unchanged line-up. This is the kind of stubbornness that saw us get battered 4-0 for three or four consecutive away games early in the season - face up to it, realise it isn't working and change it.
2) Hines, Nouble and Amos don't even have 90 minutes between them, only Amos was on the bench today and Hines hasn't been involved since Fleetwood. Robinson is yet to start. Why did we spend the money on them in January? Amos deserves a chance in midfield and Robinson will be in contention up-front.

If he wants one, especially after Browns comments!

Highlights of yesterday. Decent beer in the Annexe and train journey via Bradford on Avon.
But team set up wrong again by PB. No width nor urgency to get the ball forward.
Another game where Wordswoth's performance was poor. Fortune was the only player threatening the Rovers goal and PB subs him?

Feels like rest of season will fall away again.

We are not playing well - misfiring and not slick and smooth. I would suggest a little tinkering is required rather than a radical overhaul of the team.
I suspect that many will not share that view though.

indeed. Tinkering required. But not major changes.
Wordsworth when on form is a key player for us, but when not on form can end up being a passenger. You have to take that with that type of player. He's 9 out of 10 or 4 out of 10 whereas Atkinson is 7 out of 10 every week.

Lovely bit of positivity on here again. This forums tends to thrive on a defeat and then everyone roles out the "I told you so". Obviously I wasn't at the game nor seen us the last few weeks...BUT...how can can we go from a thread about best team ever to Brownout within a few weeks.

Maybe brown was going to give these players a rest...then during the week they had a rocket up their bum in training and looked on it and focused? Then come game day they let his trust in them down. I'm sure there will be changes Tuesday and having McC. back should give us the width needed?

Problem with woody, he always has a goal/assist in even when playing badly...not many other players have that spark.

I'm sure he'd like to start with Ranger and McLaughlin but with both players still feeling their way back to fitness (and let's be honest no one expected them to get as long as they did yesterday) and Tuesday might come a bit soon for a start. Personally once things have calmed down a bit i'd be tempted to select the same Xl as yesterday having given them the public dressing down and warning them this is the last time I'm going to keep the faith this season. Buys PB a bit of time with the two I mentioned above and against Coventry it seems to me no better opportunity to get back on track after our blip. They haven't become a bad team overnight. He will be tempted to give Theo a start though I'm sure. Maybe play Cox just behind a front two of MAF and Theo - dropping Woody?

Back