• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Brown: I want 4 signings, 16 outfield players isn't enough

You can look at it two ways, from what I hear (and again I don't know how true this is) Hunt was on a whopping £25k per week at Leeds. Whatever way you look at it he'd be on a mere fraction of that at Roots Hall. If this was a problem you could understand it, he'll know he needs to accept less but it may be a question of how much lower he would accept. By flipping it on its head though you could look at it another way and think that with those astronomical wages at Leeds (and most probably Reading as well) at this stage of his career money may not be as important a factor as it once was, he's got to be extremely comfortable financially. That doesn't mean he'll accept any old contract, but it may be that other factors affect his decision rather than just Chicago (probably) offering a higher wage than Southend.

As you say. A good synopsis of the situation.

You wonder sometimes how much some players want to keep playing. There are those who hang up their boots once their career has peaked. And there are players that will play for as long as they can as long as they can find a team such is their love of the game.

Clearly even Phil is getting extremely frustrated by the fact that we have only signed 2 players and need at least. 4 more. And as Smiffy points out a message to Ron? Phil at least acknowledges we are going to suffer now unless deals can be done very quickly and. 16 outfield players won't cut it Really?, what a surprise!
cue Bkdside to tell us what a wondrous plan this all is and how great an advantage it is to be in this position with 2 weeks to go before kick off?
I see even Gillingham with little cash and led by Justin Edinburgh just made their 7th pretty good signing today!

Yes, Justin Edinburgh is doing a great job at Gillingham, but he had a bit longer to make things happen during the close season than Phil Brown.

Clearly even Phil is getting extremely frustrated by the fact that we have only signed 2 players and need at least. 4 more. And as Smiffy points out a message to Ron? Phil at least acknowledges we are going to suffer now unless deals can be done very quickly and. 16 outfield players won't cut it Really?, what a surprise!
cue Bkdside to tell us what a wondrous plan this all is and how great an advantage it is to be in this position with 2 weeks to go before kick off?
I see even Gillingham with little cash and led by Justin Edinburgh just made their 7th pretty good signing today!

Actually your spot on, you must've spotted some good players we can sign and know how to do that quickly. Why don't you jump on the phone to Ron and help them out? They obviously don't know what they are doing. In fact, chuck them your CV as Phil needs to go now, I'm fed up of waiting for them to sign the right players rather than anyone.

Yes, Justin Edinburgh is doing a great job at Gillingham, but he had a bit longer to make things happen during the close season than Phil Brown.

That was a loan signing and we're not allowed to make any loan signings as they don't put any effort in :smile:

Are we under an umbungo at the moment, with the new winding up order? I seem to recall that there's an automatic embargo whilst there's outstanding HMRC debt.

If that were the case then there's two hurdles to PB getting the players he wants.

Well aren't you only allowed 20 players under an umbongo. He is saying we have 16 and wants to add 4, adds up to 20. As a manager you surely would want more than 20 unless you are restricted.

Well aren't you only allowed 20 players under an umbongo. He is saying we have 16 and wants to add 4, adds up to 20. As a manager you surely would want more than 20 unless you are restricted.

Why would you want more than 20? Surely that's enough considering we have a budget to keep too and a team to keep happy?

Not sure of the exact figure but it's around that I think, and the 16 Brown mentions are only outfield players, plus we have Bentley, Ted and Paul registered as players, taking the total to 19. I doubt we're under an embargo or will be any time soon, but financial restraints from Ron might limit Phil's spending.

He is talking about outfield players, that takes us to 23.

We don't have an Umbongo though?

We will get a few players in on loan, sigh Galbraith and Piggott.

Back