• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Phil Brown out -Chrissy Powell in?

• Brown out?

Votes: 8 4.2%
  • Chrissy Powell in?

Votes: 37 19.6%
  • Other/leave things as they are.

Votes: 150 79.4%

• Total voters
Brown deserves 3 years to make his mark. We'd all of taken play offs at this stage if we were offered them before the season kicked off. I mean, most people would of been happy to avoid relegation this year

Brown deserves 3 years to make his mark. We'd all of taken play offs at this stage if we were offered them before the season kicked off. I mean, most people would of been happy to avoid relegation this year

How many Managers get three years grace period nowadays?

And don't agree with being happy to avoid relegation - last two seasons, we reached a cup final and narrowly missed out on play offs/promotion so why would be happy to avoid relegation?

How many Managers get three years grace period nowadays?

And don't agree with being happy to avoid relegation - last two seasons, we reached a cup final and narrowly missed out on play offs/promotion so why would be happy to avoid relegation?

Luggy did, I think it gives them time to bed in and sackings before that are counter productive unless you're loaded.

iirc when the embongo was on us before the season and around the start many would of taken lower mid-table. if thats not the case or just the usual extreme pessimism fair enough but i thought that was how it was

Firstly, much as I like CP - Charlton Athletic are still bottom of the league. Not all the fault of Chrissy but still not a huge selling point.
Secondly, we are still fighting for promotion - albeit via the Play-Off's.
Thirdly, has anyone asked CP if he would be vaguely interested in the role?
Fourthly, Phil Brown is doing ok. Not fantastic at present - but well enough to not have his job in question today.

To be even talking about Brown being sacked or leaving is ridiculous. We're in a bad run, all teams have them, but we're still 7th in the league for goodness sake. RM has his faults but he doesn't seem to be one of these trigger-happy chairmen. Our last two managers were both here for a relatively long time, and I'm sure Brown will get at least the rest of this calendar year.

The last manager who the fans were singing to be sacked was Alvin Martin. Since then Martin has disposed of Little, Newman, Wignall, Tilson and Sturrock.

That seems pretty trigger happy to me. What he has done is generally made good appointments (and had a huge slice of luck that Ian Atkins turned us down).

No way.

We sacked a manager last year for not finishing in the top 7, we didnt bring in a high profile manager and big backroom team to settle for survival.

Play-offs is the minimum we should have as anexpectation, even with the shackles of the embargo.

Luggy did, I think it gives them time to bed in and sackings before that are counter productive unless you're loaded.

iirc when the embongo was on us before the season and around the start many would of taken lower mid-table. if thats not the case or just the usual extreme pessimism fair enough but i thought that was how it was

Sturrock was here 3 years, he wasnt given 3 years grace.

The first year he wasnt expected to achieve much as he started with 3 players, but the second year the expectations were higher and because we were so close to promotion that was enough. Ron did say at the end of that season that the next year we were aiming for automatic promotion so to not even make the play-offs was why he left.

Keep the current Jaffa, he is chocolate , orange and Brown. Jaffa does sound better than Gaffa as well. I struggled to believe we could afford Brown, so even less likely Chrissie Powell . Powell is Southend through and through ,I would certainly want him back if Brown left under any circumstances. We constantly call for ex players to come back ( Cresswell, Barratt etc) so I am in the camp that would go for an ex legend every time. I also think Chris Powell would have significant contacts in the game. Not saying Brown hasnt but there is some disappointment that he hasnt tapped up big Sam? or other muckers to bring in an Assombalonga or equivalent

Chris would be great - but even given the fact e IS a mate, not now. Sacking managers has become pathetically knee-jerk.

With ten games approx. to go we are still I the plays off. Most of us would have accepted that at the start of the season so personally happy to keep Brown. If he has to go then Powell would be my number one choice.

This is in no way an arrogant "we shouldn't be in this division" post but we are a big club for this level. We are where we are because we deserve to be in L2 at this time, however for a club like Southend United a relegation fight would be considered an atrocious season and would quite rightfully result in managerial changes. Brown has done a decent job, yes there have been hiccups along the way but we're still right in the mix. If we can get Prosser back in and play with more confidence and belief between now and the seasons end then it could yet be a successful campaign.

I'd love Chrissy Powell to one day manage Southend United but not now, Brown deserves better than that. We have to give him more time to get us out of this league.

Freddy, Barney, Powell-y...blimey, they say there are no jobs for life any more. Maybe nostalgia isn't the best basis for employing someone. Browny deserves time.

I may be missing the point here, so forgive me, but are we not currently 7th in the table, fighting for a play off place to get promoted to League One? I know we've been on a bad run, but the fact remains we're challenging for promotion nonetheless - Talk of sackign the manager seems ludicrous!

As for Chris Powell's management credentials - He did an excellent job at Charlton on a very, very limited budget. First season, stabilising the side, second season winning the League 1 title by a mile, last season they were in a whisker of the play offs to get in to the Prem - This season they have struggled, but one bad season does not a bad manager maketh.

If Brown did leave the club, I'd be more than happy with Chris Powell as a replacement, but for me, talk of Brown leaving is totally wrong at this stage, and surely counter productive? Everyone pulling in the same direction for the remainder of the season can only be the way to go.

Chris Powell has done what? Had a good cup run. What's the point?

Personally I think he's done a good job at Charlton. They romped to the L1 title and since then he's been working under a tight budget by Championship standards and lots going on behind the scenes. Recently he was forced to sell their top striker due to financial constraints. I'd be more than happy with Powell, but Brown deserves more time.

Personally I think he's done a good job at Charlton. They romped to the L1 title and since then he's been working under a tight budget by Championship standards and lots going on behind the scenes. Recently he was forced to sell their top striker due to financial constraints. I'd be more than happy with Powell, but Brown deserves more time.

I completely disagree with the lack of time managers are given so you will often see this response from me. I think he was sacked too soon. As it stands, Brown should get plenty more time.

Back