• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

BT New Member

A fair few of the newbie section links are dead annoyingly. Some info please. What days are:
- training (Saturday rings a bell)
- finance updates
- youth pull updates

Thanks!

My advice would be 4 x batting, 4 x bowling and 2 x Stamina. Stamina takes 6 weeks to train one level, so you can rotate those to each of your trainees. Some people think you should train fielding or WK as if you align this with a batting or bowling net it reduces the time that conc or cons takes to get to the next level. However, Stamina training takes the same at whatever age you train, whilst Conc / Cons the time reduces as the players age, whereas batting / Bowling increase time as they get older, so I find it best to get the Stamina up first and then train the Conc / Cons after that. The next question then is how many nets to put on each trainee. YB has suggested 1 Batting / Bowling per trainee which is fine, and will give you a balanced side, however you could put 2 batting / bowling nets on a player and it will speed up his training. the only problem with this is that the 2nd net only has 50% of the effectiveness of the 1st net, so if you double net someone you are only getting 1 1/2 nets for 2 coaches. Personally I wouldn't train the 17yo's you have at the moment, wait until next week or the week after and buy on the TM, and then hire the Coach to go with them. If you hire the coaches now then that will cost you 25k (10 x 2,500) so best to wait. Also, when you hire the Coaches make sure you hire Sports Psychologists as well (5-7 is the acknowledged optimum amount)

Some good advice here (fwiw I've always gone for 10 Sports Psychologists as it improves the secondary training but conventional wisdom is that's inefficient)

I don't think there's necessarily a right and a wrong answer - and here's where the strategic element comes in.

If you train a few superstars your team will lack depth or you can train nearly all your starting XI but your team will lack quality.

One tactic could be to double net (ie give a batsman two batting nets, or a bowler two bowling nets) five players up to the age of 19, then single net them to the age of 24. When those five nets become spare use at least one of them for stamina (it's more efficient to train a primary at 17 than stamina at 17) and use the others on trainees - either an all-rounder (two bowling and one batting) or a batsman and a bowler.
If you double net them, their primaries will improve quicker than their secondaries, so it's not a bad idea to go for trainees with better secondaries than primaries. I'd be looking for 17 year olds with respectable stamina, medium batting/bowling and respectable concentration/consistency.

Some good advice here (fwiw I've always gone for 10 Sports Psychologists as it improves the secondary training but conventional wisdom is that's inefficient)

I don't think there's necessarily a right and a wrong answer - and here's where the strategic element comes in.

If you train a few superstars your team will lack depth or you can train nearly all your starting XI but your team will lack quality.

One tactic could be to double net (ie give a batsman two batting nets, or a bowler two bowling nets) five players up to the age of 19, then single net them to the age of 24. When those five nets become spare use at least one of them for stamina (it's more efficient to train a primary at 17 than stamina at 17) and use the others on trainees - either an all-rounder (two bowling and one batting) or a batsman and a bowler.
If you double net them, their primaries will improve quicker than their secondaries, so it's not a bad idea to go for trainees with better secondaries than primaries. I'd be looking for 17 year olds with respectable stamina, medium batting/bowling and respectable concentration/consistency.
Following on from this I finally got round to sorting out a training plan a couple of seasons ago, and it's pretty much as YB says above. My only difference is that I started with 4 players (2 x Bat and 2 x Bowl), double netted them with 2 stamina nets rotating. Once they get to the end of their 19th year, the worst one will be sold, the other 3 will drop to single nets, and I'll train another 3 and so on. If all the trainees start with very base Competent Batting/ Bowling and very base Conc / Cons, then by the time they are at the end of their 24th year they will be Sensational / Sensational

Has the backside fallen out of the transfer market on this? Just followed this purchase someone made, £529k for this guy seems a snip. Are wages too much for elites now?

Del Abrahams (5198758)
Del is a defensive RH Batsman, and a defensive RF Bowler. He has worthless leadership skills and remarkable experience.

He currently has proficient batting form, worthless bowling form and sublime fitness.

Plays For:The_Veterans
Nationality:United States of America
Battrick Rating:252,438
Wages:£219,635 p/w
Preference:None
Trait:None
Stamina:superb*Wicket Keeping:worthless
Batting:worthlessConcentration:superb
Bowling:eliteConsistency:elite
Fielding:exquisite

It’s a lot of wages to carry each week if he’s not an international, but I would have thought he’d go for a bit more than that

Ok so i'm in too.

Played this way back in the inception but didn't have the time to dedicate to it.

Hopefully this time I can stay with it. I'll read all the good advice detailed above and try and make a go of it.

Rayleigh Royals CC 128165

Think my first youth pull is a good one. £600 wages suggests could be a high competent?

Fast bowler too. To train or sell...

Cliff Vaughan (5415128)shortcut
Cliff is a cautious RH Batsman, and a destructive RF Bowler. He has superb leadership skills and abysmal experience.

He currently has respectable batting form, respectable bowling form and fresh fitness.

Plays For:Southend
Nationality:Ireland
Battrick Rating:4,221
Wages:£614 p/w

Stamina:feebleWicket Keeping:abysmal
Batting:worthlessConcentration:worthless
Bowling:competentConsistency:competent
Fielding:worthless

I hate to ask, because clearly I’m uncool, but what the heck is BT? I thought I knew what that stood for, but this thread doesn’t chime with that at all :Dim:

Think my first youth pull is a good one. £600 wages suggests could be a high competent?

Cliff is a cautious RH Batsman, and a destructive RF Bowler. He has superb leadership skills and abysmal experience.

He currently has respectable batting form, respectable bowling form and fresh fitness.

I’d sell, he’s very close to Respectable, and for what you’d get for him in week 1, I think you’d be able to get far better in week 2 or 3.
Nice pull though, far better than the 2 x Med/Med/Med I got ?

Went for a batter and got base level comp bowler! Imagine the money I'd have made! Listing as comp in both in the end.

I'd probably train him, although that stamina is not ideal, as I'm a sucker for a destructive fast bowler.

I listed him in the hope that others are also a sucker for one of them.

What's minimum for a decent trainee in people's view?

I'm looking at high mediocre with good secondaries on market for sub 10k but is that pointless if mid competent are the same price in a fortnight?

Last edited:
A base Competent Primary with base Medicore Secondary, will get to Wonderful / Sensational by the end of their 24th year on 1 Primary Net. If you double net the Primary for the 1st 3 years, you're looking at Sensational / Sensational. If you can pick up any Comp (with Med Stamina and Med Con) this week for under 10k, then I'd got for it, otherwise wait until next week or the week after.

A base Competent Primary with base Medicore Secondary, will get to Wonderful / Sensational by the end of their 24th year on 1 Primary Net. If you double net the Primary for the 1st 3 years, you're looking at Sensational / Sensational. If you can pick up any Comp (with Med Stamina and Med Con) this week for under 10k, then I'd got for it, otherwise wait until next week or the week after.

Do you mean base mediocre primary with a competent secondary?

I listed him in the hope that others are also a sucker for one of them.

What's minimum for a decent trainee in people's view?

I'm looking at high mediocre with good secondaries on market for sub 10k but is that pointless if mid competent are the same price in a fortnight?

High mediocre with good secondaries (and I'd suggest that at least one of stamina and secondary should be respectable in order to count here as good with the other competent if not double respectable) is probably worth it. If you double net them they are going to be a low competent with good secondaries by the time you find a mid-competent in a fortnight and that mid-competent's secondaries aren't likely to be as good (mid competent with good secondaries will still be sought after in a fortnight, the market will be saturated with low competents, lacking secondaries).

It also depends what type of player they are and what type of pitch you'll have. I'd be more inclined to go with resp stamina, mediocre bowling and respectable consistency for a defensive minded off-spinner who you'll set with defensive orders and play at home on an uneven pitch. Respectable stamina, mediocre batting, respectable concentration for a FC opening batsman as well. For a strike bowler set attacking I may go with higher primary.

Stamina is going to be big for you as a new team as players with bad stamina, playing regularly and being trained will be hit hard. You'll be grateful for saving 12 weeks' nets for a respectable stamina trainee when you have 5 or more trainees all needing stamina nets in a few seasons' time.

I wouldn't be afraid of bidding on some mediocre primaries this week but I wouldn't bid more than a few thousand and I wouldn't be afraid of dumping them in a couple of weeks' time if better trainees emerge. Worse comes to the worse they are probably still going to be good enough to get into your XI for a couple of seasons.

Cheers gents. Picking some up for not a lot and having them as spare players is in my thinking.

Do you mean base mediocre primary with a competent secondary?
No, I mean base Comp primary and base Mediocre Cons. Admittedly he would be halfway to Exceptional at the end of his 24th year, but still only a Wonderful Primary. By the time you get to 22/23 you are looking at close to 20 weeks for each Primary pop, whereas Secondary pops start at about 14/15 weeks and are around 10/11 weeks at age 22/23.

Back