• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Chester Sack Rush

• Thread starter One O'Clock At The Crane
  • Start date
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ Mar. 02 2005,19:54)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimpboy @ Mar. 02 2005,19:51)]Sorry, but they are probably the worst team I've seen in my life. Do you really think they'll beat us?
I hope we'll beat them and I can't see why we can't beat them. But to ASSUME that victory is a foregone conclusion - "we'll still beat them don't worry, they are rubbish" -  would scare the hell out of me ...

WS
Scare the hell out of you? Why? It's not as if the players will adopt the same attitude is it?

Fact is we should still beat this lot, Ian Rush or no Ian Rush. Everyone seems to be over-reacting to the fact they've just sacked their manager.

Indeed, as W4 Shrimper and I were opining the other day, we've now got to the "no bullsh*t" part of the season.

If we are serious promotion candidates, then we've got to be looking for 4 victories and a draw this month.

I know that sounds like a tall order... but they don't hand promotion out to pussies. We've got to go and grab promotion by the cojones. So, a victory over Chester is asked for. A draw would be disappointing, a defeat (practically) calamitous.

A point away at Cheltenham might be acceptable, or alternatively a point at home to Lincoln (although that would miff me more, especially given sourpuss Alexander's comments earlier in the season).

And victories at home to Rochdale and away at Cambridge are also required. None of these will be easy... but promotion isn't easy; and if we can't get 3 points at the Deva or the Abbey, we'll get flippin' murdered at the likes of Prenton Park or Hillsborough next season.

Time for us to start thinking like promotion candidates - and that means a win is required on Saturday.

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (W4 Shrimper @ Mar. 02 2005,22:06)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jávea Shrimper @ Mar. 02 2005,19:54)]
I hope we'll beat them and I can't see why we can't beat them. But to ASSUME that victory is a foregone conclusion - "we'll still beat them don't worry, they are rubbish" -  would scare the hell out of me ...

WS
Scare the hell out of you? Why? It's not as if the players will adopt the same attitude is it?

Fact is we should still beat this lot, Ian Rush or no Ian Rush. Everyone seems to be over-reacting to the fact they've just sacked their manager.
You misinterpret : the over-confidence demonstrated by some scares the hell out of me, not Chester City (who, I feel, we should beat on Saturday) ...

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ Mar. 02 2005,22:20)]You misinterpret : the over-confidence demonstrated by some scares the hell out of me, not Chester City (who, I feel, we should beat on Saturday) ...

WS
I never thought you meant Chester City. Who are the 'some'? Shrimpboy? As long as it's not the players who are over-confident, it doesn't matter how bullish people are on message boards like this, does it?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (W4 Shrimper @ Mar. 02 2005,22:33)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jávea Shrimper @ Mar. 02 2005,22:20)]You misinterpret : the over-confidence demonstrated by some scares the hell out of me, not Chester City (who, I feel, we should beat on Saturday) ...

WS
I never thought you meant Chester City. Who are the 'some'? Shrimpboy? As long as it's not the players who are over-confident, it doesn't matter how bullish people are on message boards like this, does it?
It wasn't meant to be taken so seriously ...

WS

sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ Mar. 02 2005,22:35)]It wasn't meant to be taken so seriously ...

WS

sad.gif
Pah, never mind. Let's just hope we spank the managerless goons!
smile.gif

I'm worried by the overconfidence. They may be the worst team to have played at The Hall all year but they're not bottom of the league and must be able to play better.

I think they'll be slightly confused as to how to play. Will they carry on with tactics of kicking us round that got them hammered last weekend or try and experiment with something else. Either way, we should win but it's no forgone conclusion!

it troubles me that there seems to be no mention of this anywhere on t'Internet

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ Mar. 02 2005,22:54)]it troubles me that there seems to be no mention of this anywhere on t'Internet
Good point. I've had a look around, but the only coach I can see who has been sacked is Maurice Cheeks of the Portland Trail Blazers.

Are we due to play them any time soon?

Chester's official site is dire (like ours before anyone says it) but I spoke to a guy at their local rag today who confirmed it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (McScriven @ Mar. 02 2005,23:14)]Chester's official site is dire (like ours before anyone says it) but I spoke to a guy at their local rag today who confirmed it.
Not sure anyone would say it now Dave. You are working within the FLPTV straightjacket, but even so the official site is way better than it was last season!

upside.gif

all this talk of overconfidence, the one game I can see us slipping up in is the trip to the Abbey Stadium. All those ex-SUFC people on the payroll, I just have this horrible image of Carruthers/Webb scoring the winning goal in front of the travelling army.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimpboy @ Mar. 02 2005,19:46)]They lost 5-0 to Shrewsbury for heavens sake! We should still beat them, they are rubbish whatever manager they have. Cortez Belle isn't exactly a threat up front
laugh.gif
It won't be a thrashing because they'll just play long ball, probably another 1-0
biggrin.gif
They weren't exactly rubbish when me and my mates saw them play against Cheltenham. Even though it was a 0-0 draw.

Saying that though, Cheltenham are a crappy team, from what i've seen of them this season, and so I dont think we have a problem against Chester on Saturday.

If we get an early goal, Chester will fold... they have nothing on Southend United. If we fail to score in the first half, we'll win it by a goal.

To be honest, I can't see this one ending a draw and they certainly aren't good enough to beat us. It would be interesting to find out who's suspended and who isn't!!!

blues.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (McScriven @ Mar. 02 2005,23:14)]Chester's official site is dire (like ours before anyone says it) but I spoke to a guy at their local rag today who confirmed it.
That is disgracefully bad whent he official site isn't carrying breaking news of the manager's dismissal considering it is about the biggest news a club can have!

MScriven our official site isn't dire at all, I think it's excellent now.

There's no confirmation of it on the BBC site, although there is a story about him being in danger because of something so that may lead ot the news of his sacking.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimpboy @ Mar. 03 2005,17:22)]MScriven our official site isn't dire at all, I think it's excellent now.

There's no confirmation of it on the BBC site, although there is a story about him being in danger because of something so that may lead ot the news of his sacking.
I believe that the official line is that Chester want to sack Rush but can't afford to. They offered him and Mark Aizlewood (assistant) a severance package so they could both "resign with dignity" but they both refused to do so. So it looks like they will still be in charge on Saturday.

Although as I write this, I haven't actually checked any media sources for hours as I've been out all evening so the situation may have changed.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Technician @ Mar. 03 2005,08:40)]If we get an early goal, Chester will fold... they have nothing on Southend United. If we fail to score in the first half, we'll win it by a goal.

To be honest, I can't see this one ending a draw and they certainly aren't good enough to beat us. It would be interesting to find out who's suspended and who isn't!!!

blues.gif
Over confidence is not a problem.......

Back