• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Confirmed: Southend United sign Elliot Lee on loan from West Ham United & Jakub Sokol

Conor Clifford probably pointed out to the manager that it was illogical to drop the club's outstanding player in mid October.

To all appearances, he is being harshly treated but, as usual, we do not know the full picture. My sense is that Clifford is not over overjoyed about the arrival of Deegan and was hoping to build a productive partnership with Leonard in the middle of mid-field.

Conor Clifford probably pointed out to the manager that it was illogical to drop the club's outstanding player in mid October.

To all appearances, he is being harshly treated but, as usual, we do not know the full picture. My sense is that Clifford is not over overjoyed about the arrival of Deegan and was hoping to build a productive partnership with Leonard in the middle of mid-field.

I thought Deegan made far more of an impact than Clifford.

Was harsh to lose his place and odd he doesnt even make the bench so maybe some other reason, but I have no issues with Deegan playing ahead of him or Timlin coming back.

Thompson was largely at fault for Exeter's goal and Prosser has a big hand in half the poor defending the side is involved in. Bolger literally gifted Luton the second and Mads was atrocious at AFC Wimbledon in the cup this year. You could literally lay blame ay any defenders door with no real effort.

Fact is we have seen Jakub 12 times in a Southend shirt and he has made one gaff I can think of so I would say at this level that's a pretty decent ratio.

This season he has played one game and conceded one goal, far worse than any other defenders. His gaff was far worse than any thing anyone else has done.

Just goes to show how people use bias to judge, if that was Thompson or Bolger who made that mistake they would be lined up to be the Guy on the bonfire this week (keeping it topical!). Lucky for him he made the mistake on a rare occassion we were two up.

Dont get me wrong, Id choose him ahead of the other two, but after any mistake like that I personally lose a bit of confidence that will take a while to rebuild.

If he never made any mistakes, he wouldn't be in league two. Same goes for any player.

Thompson was also at fault for Morecambe's goal where he had lead in his boots and only managed to jump 0.34 of an inch of the ground. (It was still a top class finish though!).

I agree - it would be nice to hear the extent of the injury to Elliot Lee but it's gone very quiet. On another subject I'm
also surprised that we've no other information on the omission of Connor Clifford from the squad on Saturday.Didn't deserve to be left out from a playing point of view, so was it an injury or a fall out with management?

What's the mystery?

He's a vastly inferior player to Leonard, Timlin and Deegan who are all deservedly starting. If you wanted to tighten things up defensively in midfield you'd bring Atkinson on ahead of him and if you needed more creativity you'd bring on Jack Payne.

Whilst Clifford was much improved from last season that's more a damning indictment on quite how shocking he was last season rather than on him being any good. He's still a defensive liability prone to losing the man he's supposed to be tracking (if not losing his head and getting sent off) and he offers little other than a long range shot going forward. You only have to consider how turgid our midfield play this season has been to notice that. Whilst Leonard's form has dipped and Timlin may only been half fit they've still been heads and shoulders above him.

I was fortunate enough not to go to Luton, Clifford's last appearance, but all the reports of midfield I heard were of it not functioning once more. I did though have the misfortune to attend the Morecambe game and Clifford was shocking and lucky not to be hauled off before the hour mark when even Brown saw how bad he was. The week before at the dour game against Shrewsbury he was bossed about by that 20yo kid and our midfield created nothing once more. Week before that he was subbed at York and as soon as he went off we scored the goal of the match. His start prior to that was Oxford which was another terrible team display against a side there for the taking.

Now we're playing our strongest midfield, and as a result winning, seems to be a strange time to question why a weak link isn't in the side.

Thompson was also at fault for Morecambe's goal where he had lead in his boots and only managed to jump 0.34 of an inch of the ground. (It was still a top class finish though!).
It wasn't about his jump-it was his positioning-a yard further back would have solved the problem-which emerged from Prosser,as so often,gifting the ball to the opposition in his own half-maybe Thompson should have realised Prosser is always likely to do that!

What's the mystery?

He's a vastly inferior player to Leonard, Timlin and Deegan who are all deservedly starting. If you wanted to tighten things up defensively in midfield you'd bring Atkinson on ahead of him and if you needed more creativity you'd bring on Jack Payne.

Whilst Clifford was much improved from last season that's more a damning indictment on quite how shocking he was last season rather than on him being any good. He's still a defensive liability prone to losing the man he's supposed to be tracking (if not losing his head and getting sent off) and he offers little other than a long range shot going forward. You only have to consider how turgid our midfield play this season has been to notice that. Whilst Leonard's form has dipped and Timlin may only been half fit they've still been heads and shoulders above him.

I was fortunate enough not to go to Luton, Clifford's last appearance, but all the reports of midfield I heard were of it not functioning once more. I did though have the misfortune to attend the Morecambe game and Clifford was shocking and lucky not to be hauled off before the hour mark when even Brown saw how bad he was. The week before at the dour game against Shrewsbury he was bossed about by that 20yo kid and our midfield created nothing once more. Week before that he was subbed at York and as soon as he went off we scored the goal of the match. His start prior to that was Oxford which was another terrible team display against a side there for the taking.

Now we're playing our strongest midfield, and as a result winning, seems to be a strange time to question why a weak link isn't in the side.

I couldn't get up to Mansfield at the weekend and watched Shrewsbury away at Daggers. Ryan Woods was absolutely outstanding again and is the best midfield player I have seen in this division for quite some time (I rate Leonard very highly also and from what I've seen recently those 2 are the best in this division).

Agree with you on Clifford.

Lee out for 2 months anyone else heard this?
Just seen RS post on the other thread, confirmed as 2 months.

Still that is 0.34 of an inch of the floor that Tony Battersby never managed!

Tony Battersby scored a great goal on his debut.

Was it against Sheffield United? Or was that where he came from?

IIRC he took it on his chest, turned and volleyed into the top corner.

Tony Battersby scored a great goal on his debut.

Was it against Sheffield United? Or was that where he came from?

IIRC he took it on his chest, turned and volleyed into the top corner.

Battersby was from Sheffield United so it probably wasn't them. I remember the goal though.

EDIT - Burnley was his only goal according to the SUFC Database

http://www.sufcdb.co.uk/results.php?y=1994

Cheers.

If I was Andy Thomson I'd demand a recount for that season's top-scorer. It looks like he's been robbed there!

Oh to have an Andy Thomson and Gary Jones now. We were sunk until Gary Jones went on that amazing goal scoring run at the back end of the season. Phenomenal run of goals

Oh to have an Andy Thomson and Gary Jones now. We were sunk until Gary Jones went on that amazing goal scoring run at the back end of the season. Phenomenal run of goals

Yeah, but these days he would have been hounded out before that ever happened because of his poor form before then.

Back