• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Jam_Man

Life President
Well at least we scored.

Sounds like a cracking game and a draw is a decent result especially with yet another penalty save from Bentley.

Out of the relegation zone at the expense of Col Ewe :smile:

Positives;

Both strikers score
We are unbeaten away from home
Bentley has a fantastic game it seems
We move out of the relegation zone

The commentators reckoned it was a cracking game of football and who am I to gainsay them. A valuable point, two goals, lots of understanding achieved in the front line, lots of positives all round. No doubt our travelling fans will add their views on here soon. Defensively I wonder if Adam and Pross would have been a better starting twosome?

The main things that we move above the scums & outside relegation zone, we have to build it on Vs Peterborough on Sept 5th Skysport live!

We still got to sign one more striker, then we are done.

Guys on bbc coventry saying sky blues have to get used to sides like Southend who play a much more physical game, is that another way of saying we are dirty side.

Guys on bbc coventry saying sky blues have to get used to sides like Southend who play a much more physical game, is that another way of saying we are dirty side.
They also said a draw was a fair result, if I was a Coventry fan I would be gutted not to have won that in the last 30mins.

My son has just reported on the game. Really good first half from Blues. Front two worked well together. He liked Rea. Reckons we lost a bit of momentum when Mooney went off. Dan made a worldy at the death to save the point.

One Coventry fan called in after the game and said 'Southend are a very poor side, all they did was pump the ball long' sour grapes there sir! Glad I could listen to it via Coventry's site as BBC Essex had a mare!
Well deserved point. At the end of the day we actually scored... twice, that will do wonders for the strikers. Two up top at home please Mr Brown!

2 goals,both forwards score and a stonking away point at City,love it.

442 ain't bad after all.

My son has just reported on the game. Really good first half from Blues. Front two worked well together. He liked Rea. Reckons we lost a bit of momentum when Mooney went off. Dan made a worldy at the death to save the point.

Spot on.

Bentley was stunning but we finally looked like a football team with 2 up front and the forward balls not being swallowed up by the opposition.

That was by a street the best away game I've seen for a long while.

Not sure why Mooney was substituted but when we substitute one of our only players who is likely to score we should replace him with another player who carries a goal scoring threat.

No moaning though.

Great game, a deserved point and if we keep playing with Hunt and Mooney up front the future is bright.

The new lad at the back did well on his debut.

Just back to North Wales through constant driving rain after watching an entertaining draw at the Ricoh stadium with 800+ loyal Southend fans. A fully deserved draw from a game that could have seen us 3-1 up at half time. Star man for me was Hunt who was a constant threat. Mooney played well as did Rea and Barratt, well supported by White and Coker., Atkinson Worrall, Timlin and Leonard were ok going forward with us playing 2 up front but were driven back in the 2nd half as Coventry found width and more time on the ball. The Coventry number 5 appeared to be 7 feet tall and was everywhere, and a threat from corners.
3 of the goals came from set pieces and Southend picked up bookings by a fussy referee as we were beaten for pace at times in the midfield. Weston as sub for Mooney got little service, but I have to mention Bentley for a fantastic penalty save diving across at full stretch to his left as he did at Wembley and then in the 93rd minute he went full stretch to his right to ensure a deserved draw. All together a cracking game of football in a great looking stadium and credit to Phil Brown who seems to be putting together a good footballing team. The whole team pressed all over the pitch winning 2nd balls and playing slick football led by the non stop Hunt and Mooney:happy::happy:

Got back to Rayleigh about half hour ago. Really good watch tonight. A draw was a fair result but you'd have to say Coventry probably should have won. Will take the point though. Bentley incredible tonight, the penalty save was outstanding along with the previously mentioned save at the death. Thought Rea looked a real player as well, very composed on the ball and did the simple stuff well, likes to play out from the back. Both their goals came from set pieces though, the first one being a loose ball after a corner and the second a free header from a corner, disappointing I guess.

819 Southend fans there tonight, great support. Really nice stadium too. Onwards to Saturday!

U T B

Bentley played the best he ever has in a southend shirt, the kid was class!
both strikers scored
dissapointing to concede to two set plays but we move on

Rea looked a good player at the back

Just back to Wimbledon way
Great game - good support
Felt Dan Bentley (who was immense) didn't say goodbye as if he was going - just a good wave and pointed to the no.1 on his shirt
If he was certain he was going it would have been more obvious........
Though money will talk of course - on tonight's showing three class saves plus the penalty (where his gamesmanship helped again)
Must be worth another 1/2 mill on that performance alone toinight
Reckon loads of scouts turned out to see him - must be hugely impressed
Points will come soon - get your money on....

Back