• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Daryll is class

shrimper magic

First XI
It's not hard to see that since Daryll has been sidelinded and bart's been in between the sticks that we have started to look very shacky in deed with almost no confidence running through the team.
Now i'm not saying that it is the only problem at the moment but i think it just proves how much of a valuable part Flahavan has played this season .

I personally think DF is class and i don't care about the height problem as he makes up for it in every other department, the sooner he is back the better!!!

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Bart is a bad 'keeper, it's just that since he came in for Darryl he hasn't impressed me one bit, unlike last term when he was excellent until he got that injury. He doesn't seem to be inspiring confidence within the defence.

Therefore it's Darryl all the way for me.

daryl is class and is in my opinion easily one of the best goalkeepers in the lower leagues, if he was 100% fit then i'd pick him over bartman anyday but risking it could be a mistake, if he broke his toe on like his non-kicking foot then fair enough but he shouldnt be risked until his finger is completely better

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimper magic @ Nov. 23 2005,18:55)]It's not hard to see that since Daryll has been sidelinded and bart's been in between the sticks that we have started to look very shacky in deed ...
"Shacky"?!

Museum%20Shack.jpg

WS

wink.gif

agreed, Ross Flitney is also an exceptionally good goalkeeper but daryl has proved many many times that he is also one of the best outside the Premier$hite and championship, last season he made countless extraordianry saves! look at the northampton play off second league and that save he pulled off from mcgleish's header, pure class i tell thee!
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Nov. 23 2005,18:54)]Give me Ross Flitney any day...

Matt
I find this incerdible based on the fact that you have probably based this opinion on his performance against us. Which was very good but I think that you would have to take Flavs in the long run!

I disagree. Yes Darryl's a much better all round keeper but I think Bart's been pretty sound since he came in. He hasn't cost us any goals and he hasn't been the reason for our slight blip. He's kept 2 clean sheets and only conceded 4 goals.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Nov. 23 2005,18:54)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (RayleighShrimp @ Nov. 23 2005,18:10)]easily one of the best goalkeepers in the lower leagues
*shakes his head ruefully*

Give me Ross Flitney any day...

Matt
Oh here we go, Matt's regular anti Darryl column.

Flavs is class, Bart is dodgy, always been the case.

Yes Ross Flitney was good, but give me Darryl any day.

Southends Number One, nuff said

A plea to all, can we stop this silly bickering about the goalkeeping situation. This is about the 4th separate thread about it, and frankly the whole thing is now tedious in the extreme.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (canveyshrimper @ Nov. 24 2005,08:38)]A plea to all, can we stop this silly bickering about the goalkeeping situation. This is about the 4th separate thread about it, and frankly the whole thing is now tedious in the extreme.
I find it fascinating. Some people can't start the day without a strong coffee, I can't start the day without a read through of another thrill-a-minute Flavs vs Barts thread.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Uxbridge Shrimper @ Nov. 24 2005,10:02)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (canveyshrimper @ Nov. 24 2005,08:38)]A plea to all, can we stop this silly bickering about the goalkeeping situation. This is about the 4th separate thread about it, and frankly the whole thing is now tedious in the extreme.
I find it fascinating. Some people can't start the day without a strong coffee, I can't start the day without a read through of another thrill-a-minute Flavs vs Barts thread.
Strong coffee?? I have had to resort to absinthe.

Still if i kick the bucket as a result, I hope my absinthe will make you hearts grow fonder.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Nov. 23 2005,18:54)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (RayleighShrimp @ Nov. 23 2005,18:10)]easily one of the best goalkeepers in the lower leagues
*shakes his head ruefully*

Give me Ross Flitney any day...

Matt
Come off it Matt - that has to be the most ill-considered post you've ever made!

Flitney had a good game against us (that in itself is hardly a unique feat) but one performance doesn't make him better than Darryl.

I wouldnt say Darryl is one of the best in the lower leagues either mind you - but to say 'give me Flitney any day' on the strength of one cup performance is naivety of almost wiggy-esque proportions!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TonyTheKray @ Nov. 23 2005,21:16)]Oh here we go, Matt's regular anti Darryl column.
Glad to see you keep track of these things, Tony!

biggrin.gif

Some of the youngsters, I can forgive their blind adoration of young Mr. Flahavan. But you...? You're old enough to have seen Sammy & Roycie.

Either you have amnesia, or you've lowered your standards.

Darryl is a fabulous shot-stopper - that I've never disputed; and he does pull off some fantastic saves. But he is deeply mediocre when it comes to the bread & butter stuff - commanding his box, claiming crosses, positioning of himself and his defenders.

If you want a more famous comparison... let's go with Grobelaar v. Schmeichel:

*which one pulled off the more gravity defying, cat-like saves?
*which on was the better keeper?

Give me Peter Schmeichel any day of the week and twice on a Saturday afternoon.

My final word on it for now - a lesson for the kids:

**Being a good shot-stopper does not mean that someone is a good goalkeeper**

Lecture over.

wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Nov. 24 2005,10:29)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (TonyTheKray @ Nov. 23 2005,21:16)]Oh here we go, Matt's regular anti Darryl column.
Glad to see you keep track of these things, Tony!

biggrin.gif

Some of the youngsters, I can forgive their blind adoration of young Mr. Flahavan.  But you...?  You're old enough to have seen Sammy & Roycie.

Either you have amnesia, or you've lowered your standards.

Darryl is a fabulous shot-stopper - that I've never disputed; and he does pull off some fantastic saves.  But he is deeply  mediocre when it comes to the bread & butter stuff - commanding his box, claiming crosses, positioning of himself and his defenders.

If you want a more famous comparison... let's go with Grobelaar v. Schmeichel:

*which one pulled off the more gravity defying, cat-like saves?
*which on was the better keeper?

Give me Peter Schmeichel any day of the week and twice on a Saturday afternoon.

My final word on it for now - a lesson for the kids:

**Being a good shot-stopper does not mean that someone is a good goalkeeper**

Lecture over.

wink.gif
Thank you Mr Mourinho
biggrin.gif

Back