• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I actually don't think we need to make anymore signings. Maybe a utility defender who can play left back and right back, but not in desperate need. Midfield is strong and we've got 5 strikers currently on the books (6 if you include Weston).

Coulthirst can easily score 15+ this season, but so far we've started him for the majority of his games at LW in a 4-3-3 or LM in a 4-5-1. You can't honestly criticise him and drop him for not scoring. Play him upfront with Barry in a 4-4-2 and we might actually see him coming good.

Everyone's quick to blame personnel and suggest we should sign various different players, but if we want more goals, it's the system that needs tweaking, not the squad!

I actually don't think we need to make anymore signings. Maybe a utility defender who can play left back and right back, but not in desperate need. Midfield is strong and we've got 5 strikers currently on the books (6 if you include Weston).

Coulthirst can easily score 15+ this season, but so far we've started him for the majority of his games at LW in a 4-3-3 or LM in a 4-5-1. You can't honestly criticise him and drop him for not scoring. Play him upfront with Barry in a 4-4-2 and we might actually see him coming good.

Everyone's quick to blame personnel and suggest we should sign various different players, but if we want more goals, it's the system that needs tweaking, not the squad!

Phil Brown said systems dont win games!

Whilst there is truth in that, its not foobtall manager after all, different systems will mean different players are more or less effective. As you say with 2 of the 3 front men expected to play wide and do more defending they cant be expected to score as much as if they were played in a front 2.

I see us with 4 strikers Layne, Williams , Corr and Barn-yard. Plus 3 wingers in Coulthirst, Ellis Brown and Weston. If we take the 4 strikers theory only 2 get anywhere near the pitch, and one of them for occasional cameos. With a small squad 24 now with Deegan? ( including Layne and Brown)
Stevenage had Charles Calcutt, Beardsley , Marriott and potentially Deacon ALL as specific strikers and a larger squad
Wimledon had Azeez, who came on against us, as well as Tubbs and Akinfenwe. Saint Luce looked class upfront too but is listed as a midfielder! Again a larger squad with more strength in the forward line. So Im not convinced we are that well served with strikers to be honest

I always liked the two pairs of strikers option that we had some years ago under Tilly.

2 strikers on to start with and if nothing is happening then off they come and on go the second pair. The pair that does best gets to start the next game and a chance to cement their position as the first choice.

Is 24 a small squad? I'm not sure it is. I think we have a BIG squad and most other teams in our league would love to swap their squad for ours. I don't see any reason to be unhappy with what we have.

24 is a decent sized squad.

Problem is a lot of those 24 are pretty average and not of the quality needed for a full on promotion push.

Phil like last year, will have to get them playing a bit above themselves I think, if we are going to be in the mix again.

All In my opinion of course.

24 is a decent sized squad.

Problem is a lot of those 24 are pretty average and not of the quality needed for a full on promotion push.

Phil like last year, will have to get them playing a bit above themselves I think, if we are going to be in the mix again.

All In my opinion of course.

Agreed with pretty much all of that to be fair.

Think some of our better players need to find some form again. I remember playing Chesterfield last season and Brown saying it was a match up between the league's two best players, referring to Roberts and Hurst. Kev at the time was on fire and scored in that game if I remember correctly? Right now, there's no way you'd put him in the same league as Gary Roberts.

His form towards the end of last season, pre-season and so far this season hasn't been anywhere near the same level. He was one of our talismatic players, scoring 12 goals and notching up 13 assists. So far in 6 games he's failed to register a single goal or assist and hasn't looked likely to either.

It's players like Hurst who will make us look like a different side if he gets back on top form.

Footy agent Sky Andrew was in my tube carriage today - speaking in hushed/rushed tones and taking plenty of calls. I did shadow him out of the station but all I picked up was 'sorry' and 'striker', perhaps he was on the phone to Browny ?

I think it would help to change the philosophy of the way we play and start using our strengths which are pace out wide and a great headerer of of the ball up top. It's simple start whipping the ball into the box and get behind teams.

I think it would help to change the philosophy of the way we play and start using our strengths which are pace out wide and a great headerer of of the ball up top. It's simple start whipping the ball into the box and get behind teams.

All sounds very simple when you say it isnt it.

Somewhat harder to actually just do it.

First rumour I've seen about an incoming player........Striker Tyrone Barnett just been mentioned on twitter by The Transfer centre ......have just tweeted Chris Philips to see whether he knows anything.

I agree that I dont think a squad of 23 is that small. However I was highlighting that when we played Wimbledon they listed 26 to what was our 22 at the time, unless you include Deegan.Within their ranks as highlighted by others they also had more specific strikers and options. Similarly looking at the programme when we played Stevenage, we had 22( including Brown) to their 26, of which they could choose from 5 strikers. Jason Williams, Bridge and Brown are on 1 year development contracts? Not completely sure of this but also linked might be the fact that Brown, Layne, Coulthirst and Williams are all 19 years old or below, so I am just highlighting that in the two games at home I have seen, the striking OPTONS available to other sides is stronger. Both teams could play at least the two strikers on and then 2 more, could or would we?

I thought our bench has been looking very strong personally.

As for strikers we have Corr/Barnard/Weston/Shaq who can play up front

First rumour I've seen about an incoming player........Striker Tyrone Barnett just been mentioned on twitter by The Transfer centre ......have just tweeted Chris Philips to see whether he knows anything.

Looking at Twitter he has been in talks with Oxford which fell through due to his demands. Sounds highly unlikely we would be talking to him and be able to pay more than Oxford.

We unlikely to bring anyone in as we did most of our business early and still have loans.

Getting fed up with hearing chavs shouting out rude words Sky news. Why do they have to have them on camera? What do they think will happen?

Rumour that we were trying to bring in Tyrone Barnett just below window closed..

Can't help thinking that our options upfront or lack of is going to cost us this season. Many have been worried about our lack of an out and out striker and I have to agree. Neither Corr or Barney look capable at the moment, Shaq is a raw talent and Layne a complete unknown quantity. Early days I know but there are some very good strikers around in league two but unfortunately they are not at roots hall. Anyway go with what we've got, the only way is up etc

Back