• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
That's two in the last two games.

Why do these threads start up every time BBBC is dropped?

We don't have enough height on the pitch. Corr gives us an extra presence defensively.

Always an iffy subject for me......lots of goals every weekend come from set pieces. Would be interesting to compare our percentage of conceded gosls from set pieces with some sort of national average.

We've been weak at defending set pieces for many, many seasons...even back to Tilson's time in charge. It's frustrating because we really shouldn't have been with some of the defenders we've had in that time. It's got nothing to do with Barry, although he does seem, at least to me, to bring more to the team defensively than he does in attack these days! Certainly his attempts to head at goal yesterday were more like defensive headers away from goal!!! :whistling: No, in all seriousness, he IS an asset defensively.

Always an iffy subject for me......lots of goals every weekend come from set pieces. Would be interesting to compare our percentage of conceded gosls from set pieces with some sort of national average.

Lots of goals, esp in the lower leagues come from set pieces. I did a quick look a while back at goals scored on that Saturday in div 1 and 2, that were from set pieces, it turned out, that roughly half of all goals were scored this way, esp corners. Now that was just one Saturday, it maybe different on another weekend,

The wind yesterday, and the way it affected the flight of the ball, made defending a good delivery very hard. Cant apportion blame for that one.

Under Sturrock we rarely conceded from corners. His much-maligned tactic of bringing everyone back may not have been popular but it worked.

I do agree though that conceding from set-pieces does happen and it's tough to snuff it out completely. That said the two we conceded over the last two games have seemed very avoidable. BBBC does make a difference when he comes back defensively. In fact he showed how good he was at clearing corners yesterday when he produced a terrific clearance from a ball in. To the opposition penalty area.

If set pieces are supposedly so easy to defend, why is there such a roar that goes up when we win a corner or a free kick around the box?

Answer: because it's a good opportunity. Ergo, set pieces are a good opportunity to score. That's why we work hard on trying to defend them; they're actually not easy to defend because for the attack, it gives a chance to choreograph something unexpected.

We've been weak at defending set pieces for many, many seasons...even back to Tilson's time in charge. It's frustrating because we really shouldn't have been with some of the defenders we've had in that time. It's got nothing to do with Barry, although he does seem, at least to me, to bring more to the team defensively than he does in attack these days! Certainly his attempts to head at goal yesterday were more like defensive headers away from goal!!! :whistling: No, in all seriousness, he IS an asset defensively.

Thats the same for every team surely and why set pieces are regarded as a good goal scoring opportunity?

Id love to see the stats for how many we have actually conceded against the averages, bet its not a lot different.

We don't have enough height on the pitch. Corr gives us an extra presence defensively.

I agree , but I don't think yesterdays goal was from a high ball - I may be wrong though as haven't seen the goal replay

I agree , but I don't think yesterdays goal was from a high ball - I may be wrong though as haven't seen the goal replay

If you listen to Browns interview after the game he did bring on Corr specifically to give us more height at the back.

Under Sturrock we rarely conceded from corners. His much-maligned tactic of bringing everyone back may not have been popular but it worked.

I do agree though that conceding from set-pieces does happen and it's tough to snuff it out completely. That said the two we conceded over the last two games have seemed very avoidable. BBBC does make a difference when he comes back defensively. In fact he showed how good he was at clearing corners yesterday when he produced a terrific clearance from a ball in. To the opposition penalty area.

That was comedy, wasn't it? Nearly made the halfway line!

Back