• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
In light of the substantial investment made on the first team squad this summer, what do you consider will constitute a successful season and what will you consider to be a failure?

Anything less than a play-off berth will be considered a failure, both by Brown and Martin.

Unfortunately I'd say we're another long-term injury to a key player away from that being a tall order.

In light of the substantial investment made on the first team squad this summer, what do you consider will constitute a successful season and what will you consider to be a failure?

In terms of finance then anywhere in the top 10 is a success. In terms of fans expectations (not including the miserable doom mongers) then a top 6 finish.

Anything less than a play-off berth will be considered a failure, both by Brown and Martin.

Unfortunately I'd say we're another long-term injury to a key player away from that being a tall order.
Couldn't agree more.

Has to be another improvement, which PB has delivered every season. This summer we've spent a lot (allegedly) but don't have a lot of depth, if Ferdinand or Kightly get a long term injury it would be a very big ask.

While it does feel like we've made a substantial investment, I'm pretty sure our investment as a percentage of turnover will have been matched by plenty of others. I don't therefore see it as substantial investment, more as excellent execution in the transfer window by both Brown and Martin. As fans, we should be delighted.

The caveat is that our outstanding signings appear to be at the expense of deeper squad depth. This worked well for Tilson but it's also fraught with challenges if things don't go our way and already we've got to cope without Wordsworth, Turner, Coker and Ranger for whatever period of time. We don't know yet if our young signings will make the grade, nor even whether Leonard will be with us at the end of August.

While I know some are still motivated to do so, I personally don't want to set an unnecessary and potentially unrealistic benchmark for our management team when I'm already safe in the knowledge they're doing a cracking job. I hope we'll be in and amongst the promotion challenging spots, but if we're not... for me, the team at the top has already proven they're the right people to move this club forward.

Sometimes with age comes a little caution, and although I would love to categorically say top 6, I would prefer to see how the first 3/4 games pan out. So many possibilities over form and injury will mean that it will take probably that long to gauge the success of the squad. We certainly have the potential to be very successful. Waffle over, top six = success, not top six = failure.

Couldn't agree more.

Has to be another improvement, which PB has delivered every season. This summer we've spent a lot (allegedly) but don't have a lot of depth, if Ferdinand or Kightly get a long term injury it would be a very big ask.

All the players released early could barely make the bench. Only Atkinson and Thompson would have stayed. We have signed 4 players all capable of first team football with nearly a month left for any extras. Plus we have Yearwood who will play a big part this season.

So right now we are 3 players stronger than last season. Yes its unfortunate for Coker but how many other L1 clubs would have a Steven Hendrie to immediately replace him. Wordsworth should be back quicker than last season and Ranger (when he can behave) should also have a better start.

I'd take being outside the play-offs but reaching the 4th round of either the FA or League Cup.

I'd also take a season where we finished mid-table but youth team players took considerable strides forward - say one establishing themselves as a first team player, another as a squad player and maybe another as a fringe player.

In terms of finance then anywhere in the top 10 is a success. In terms of fans expectations (not including the miserable doom mongers) then a top 6 finish.

In terms of finance surely success would be a cup run and developing young players with transfer re-sale value?

I do not know how our investment compares to other teams so it may not be comparatively substantial. By our standards though I agree it looks to be pretty substantial.

I would deem a top 6 place as success and outside the top 10 a failure given the improvements made in prior years.

Positions 7 - 10 for me are a bit of a grey area; if we have been around the playoffs all season and just miss out not necessarily a failure, however sneaking into 9th on the last day of the season would be.

Simples...

Success = Promotion to The Championship
Failure = Not getting promotion to the Championship

Grand scale success = Winning the League 1 title
Immeasurable success = 'see above' plus Millwall getting relegated from the championship :thumbsup:

All the players released early could barely make the bench. Only Atkinson and Thompson would have stayed. We have signed 4 players all capable of first team football with nearly a month left for any extras. Plus we have Yearwood who will play a big part this season.

So right now we are 3 players stronger than last season. Yes its unfortunate for Coker but how many other L1 clubs would have a Steven Hendrie to immediately replace him. Wordsworth should be back quicker than last season and Ranger (when he can behave) should also have a better start.
We still only have three wide players, three centre backs, currently three first team strikers and of the four central midfielders one is injury prone and another has never played for the first team before.

Say Kightly or McLaughlin and Ferdinand or Turner pick up injuries and we're down to the bare bones in two key positions.

Three wide players including Kightly instead of Atkinson. Don't forget Hendrie, Demi and Timlin can play wide.

White can play as a CB. Kiernan can play as a CM or full back. We have signed Ba as a forward.

We are in a much better position than the start of August last year and we haven't signed any loan players yet. One more player and 2 decent lads on loan and we will look really strong

I expect a 15 match winning streak. 100% wins at home in the league. The league one Golden boot winner and golden glove winner. Nothing more and nothing less will suffice :winking:

I still say it's a fluid situation...last season I would have taken league one stability with good signs for future...but when you look at the dross that book ended the good work in the middle of the season....massive failure not to reach the play offs. So as usual I shall simply buckle up and get on the ride

I still say it's a fluid situation...last season I would have taken league one stability with good signs for future...but when you look at the dross that book ended the good work in the middle of the season....massive failure not to reach the play offs. So as usual I shall simply buckle up and get on the ride

So finishing 7th, playing some really decent football, before our injuries and scoring lots goals was much better than you expected.....Not a massive failure as we were barely in the play-offs all season.

Anyway back to the thread what do you expect this season ?

Top six, if we stay injury free. Blackburn first game, we will find out quite how good we will have to be.

By defnition. Success is promotion and failure is relegation.
All other outcomes are neither a great success or catastrophic from the pre-season viewpoint.

Back