• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sandbach Shrimper

Life President⭐
After reading some comments I think we should get some sense of perspective. We had a great start and I think that set high standards which we're not meeting anymore. People are expecting too much. We've only just come up and before the season the main thing we all wanted was to stay in League One. We were the surprise package at the start of the season but it seems we're finding our place a bit more now. We've played some of the best teams in the league lately (Swansea and Forest) and I think they've just been too good for us. Every team goes through a bad run now and again, and this is only the 2nd bad (ish) run we've had under Tilson so let's not get too down.

People are making numerous suggestions about changing the team etc but the team that went out today was very similar to the team that we were seeing at the start of the season, although I think we're missing Guttridge. There are a couple of changes I'd like to see (put in Smith and maybe even Petts) but at the end of the day most of the different combinations up front and in midfield have been tried.

At the end of the day, if we did go up this season it'd be too soon and we'd come straight back down to League One, so let's be realistic. We're not going to be in a relegation fight like most people predicted and I for one would be happy with just a top half finish, just like I would've been before the season.

Pretty much the same for me. Annoying that I can't see what's going wrong though. Just wake up, check WAP then get depressed for the rest of the day!

sad.gif

Drop JCR for the weekend. Put in Cole or Petts in his place. Tries his tricks where they dont hurt the opposition and tries to take it round players fifty million times when a simple ball would be more effective. Plus I cant actually think of an occasion when he has put a decent ball in the box. I think he has upset the balance of a winning team.

Hopefully back to winning ways soon, but no crisis or anything along those lines. The league is just starting to even itself out!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Colchester Shrimper @ Nov. 26 2005,21:51)]The most worring aspect is that Col U are now only 3 pts behind us and seemingly on fire.
a run that started after one of their "fans" texted BBC Essex and said Parkinson must go and the team was too negative.

I lurked here for ages before I joined and remember when you first started posting here Shrimpboy.

Who'd thought from then that you'd be the voice of reason?

A great post that pretty much covers it. Look at Hull, the closest example to us, a twice promoted team, theyre not going great guns and have more money to cope.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimpboy @ Nov. 26 2005,21:06)]After reading some comments I think we should get some sense of perspective. We had a great start and I think that set high standards which we're not meeting anymore. People are expecting too much. We've only just come up and before the season the main thing we all wanted was to stay in League One. We were the surprise package at the start of the season but it seems we're finding our place a bit more now. We've played some of the best teams in the league lately (Swansea and Forest) and I think they've just been too good for us. Every team goes through a bad run now and again, and this is only the 2nd bad (ish) run we've had under Tilson so let's not get too down.

People are making numerous suggestions about changing the team etc but the team that went out today was very similar to the team that we were seeing at the start of the season, although I think we're missing Guttridge. There are a couple of changes I'd like to see (put in Smith and maybe even Petts) but at the end of the day most of the different combinations up front and in midfield have been tried.  

At the end of the day, if we did go up this season it'd be too soon and we'd come straight back down to League One, so let's be realistic. We're not going to be in a relegation fight like most people predicted and I for one would be happy with just a top half finish, just like I would've been before the season.
Spot on there, sir.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Southendsleeper @ Nov. 27 2005,00:16)]I lurked here for ages before I joined and remember when you first started posting here Shrimpboy.

Who'd thought from then that you'd be the voice of reason?

A great post that pretty much covers it. Look at Hull, the closest example to us, a twice promoted team, theyre not going great guns and have more money to cope.
Well I've grown up since then.
tounge.gif

Better believe we're on fire! At the start of the season we were restricted by injuries and there were other problems in the squad. At the moment Greg Halford is probably the best player in League One and if we hang on to Jamie Cureton (which I've heard on the grapevine is more than likely) we'll be there or thereabouts as they say.

The less reactionary fans fully expected us to turn the corner, you will too if everyone gets behind the players and manager.

Plus and minus factors about our recent results.

On the plus side, around this time last season Luton lost 3 games on the trot in the league, but they eventually got back on track. I think a Cup game on Saturday gives us a great chance to get the season moving in the right direction again, without the pressure of points. A win on Saturday, and I'm sure we will be firing again. It also gives Tilly the opportunity to change things around a bit.

On the minus side, defeat on Saturday, and suddenly those extra 19 points for safety seem a long way off!
sad.gif

On the Col******r comments there run of wins have come against a series of woeful sides at the wrong end of the table e.g. Blackpool, Rotherham and the Gills and Cup wins in the LDV and against AP Leamington. They will tail off into mediocrity again soon.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tr0ublegum @ Nov. 27 2005,18:00)]At the moment Greg Halford is probably the best player in League One
Err Trundle?

And a delayed kick off for 3,800?
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hawkwell Blue @ Nov. 28 2005,14:04)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (tr0ublegum @ Nov. 27 2005,18:00)]At the moment Greg Halford is probably the best player in League One
Err Trundle?

And a delayed kick off for 3,800?
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
It wasn't crowd congestion the kick off was delayed for at Col Ewe. It was because the stewards were concerned over health and safety issues and had to speak to the Chief Exec. It wasn't until they had spoken with her that the gates were allowed to open.

Shows what a $hitty little ground it is when a crowd of over 3,500 gives rise to H&S fears.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tr0ublegum @ Nov. 27 2005,18:00)]Better believe we're on fire! At the start of the season we were restricted by injuries and there were other problems in the squad. At the moment Greg Halford is probably the best player in League One and if we hang on to Jamie Cureton (which I've heard on the grapevine is more than likely) we'll be there or thereabouts as they say.

The less reactionary fans fully expected us to turn the corner, you will too if everyone gets behind the players and manager.
Greg Halford best player in Division 3, mate what are you drinking.

I assume you have not seen among others Lee Trundle, Pawel Abbott, Britton, Commons, Windass, Fryatt etc etc.

Halford was rubbish at Roots Hall earlier in the season, Cureton is a proven goal scorer at this level, but you will have to Swindon a fee for him and cover his wages. According to the monotone that is Mr Inspiration Parkinson you can't afford his wages.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (canveyshrimper @ Nov. 28 2005,14:30)]According to the monotone that is Mr Inspiration Parkinson you can't afford his wages.
Have you ever noticed that Parkinson speaks exactly the same as Alan Pardew. The intonantion, the voice, the phrasing its all the same. He obviously idolised Pardew when they were Manager and Assistant at Reading.

Anyway, give the Col Ewe poster some credit. Its not many people from there that have the ability to switch on a PC let alone use one. Fair play!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (C C Csiders @ Nov. 28 2005,14:38)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (canveyshrimper @ Nov. 28 2005,14:30)]According to the monotone that is Mr Inspiration Parkinson you can't afford his wages.
Have you ever noticed that Parkinson speaks exactly the same as Alan Pardew. The intonantion, the voice, the phrasing its all the same. He obviously idolised Pardew when they were Manager and Assistant at Reading.

Anyway, give the Col Ewe poster some credit. Its not many people from there that have the ability to switch on a PC let alone use one. Fair play!
I had forgotten that Pardew & Parkinson were together as the management team at Reading. Must have gone to the same speech therapist.

True about the Col Ewe poster, probably the one that passed his 11+ at 46.

Wow I was disappointed not to cop it earlier than that but glad to see you're firing now!

I'm drinking tea. May have got a bit carried away suggesting Halford's better than Trundle

He was indeed rubbish at Roots Hall - I was there - but you can't judge any player on one performance, you know that. It was a blessing in disguise to be honest - it was a turning point for him and he's been consistently brilliant ever since, having been kept in one position for the first time in his career. I think you'll find that his contribution for the season so far (goals and assists from the right flank) puts him right up there. And he's a decade younger than Trundle ;)

To be honest if you're reduced to taking the peepee out of how our manager talks - oh and I saw you folks doing the same about Halford earlier in the season - then I'm pretty pleased with how things are going.

Still plenty of time for anything to happen, we are still 3 points behind you and we both have it all to do. However I would genuinely have both teams battling it out near the top than for either to be struggling. Imagine a Col U v Southend playoff final...

As for Cureton, I don't want to claim insider knowledge, let's just say I think the only stumbling block is the transfer fee (rather than his wages) - and we do have the money.

I'm 26 but yeah I did pass my 11+ - when I was 11!
smile.gif

Back