• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What worries me is that if we were like Swindon, 2-0 down at home after 13 minutes, with all the aforementioned problems that they have had, would we have gone on to win 4-2?

It seems like a dramatic loss of form/confidence and does make you wonder if anything has happened behind the scenes to contribute to it. Who knows?

Dear oh dear. You've now gone on to say where things went wrong, and mention other players. And I never said we lost because of Will Atkinson. We would still probably have lost, but that's not the point.
My main point was when a goal down, is it best to bring on an injured Atkinson, or a hungry Jack Payne?
We all know that Phil Brown likes to bring on negative or defensive players when a goal up, which is understandable, and then sit on a lead, which is not so good with these players, as they tend to then invite wave after wave of attacks.

Well he wasn't injured otherwise he would not have been on the bench. I know full well what Payne is capable of and if anything I would have put him on for Hunt instead of Mooney.

When Timlin came off were looking very tired as a team you only see half of the build up for their 3rd goal but we had actually had a throw deep in their half and lost the ball far to easily. With ten minutes to go PB realised that it was Swindon that were going to score the next goal, so Jack was told to sit back down.

But Atkinson was not used in a negative way as you can see from the build up to the fourth goal we had thrown plenty of people forward and he did create the chance we needed but the cross summed up our second half. You can all see how routed to the goal line their keeper was for Thompsons goal but for the rest of the game he never had to come for a single cross or dead ball, so we let them off far to easy.

Yes its right to ask why no JP but I'm just trying to point out it was not so obvious as you might think.

What worries me is that if we were like Swindon, 2-0 down at home after 13 minutes, with all the aforementioned problems that they have had, would we have gone on to win 4-2?

Depends if they defended like us and if we had the very impressive Jon Obika, then maybe we could.

One other thing, at the few games I have been to this season, the roots hall atmosphere has been pretty non existent. Are the fans getting behind the lads enough?

Sorry, that just looked weird, coming from someone called 'Silent' :winking:

Well he wasn't injured otherwise he would not have been on the bench. I know full well what Payne is capable of and if anything I would have put him on for Hunt instead of Mooney.

When Timlin came off were looking very tired as a team you only see half of the build up for their 3rd goal but we had actually had a throw deep in their half and lost the ball far to easily. With ten minutes to go PB realised that it was Swindon that were going to score the next goal, so Jack was told to sit back down.

But Atkinson was not used in a negative way as you can see from the build up to the fourth goal we had thrown plenty of people forward and he did create the chance we needed but the cross summed up our second half. You can all see how routed to the goal line their keeper was for Thompsons goal but for the rest of the game he never had to come for a single cross or dead ball, so we let them off far to easy.

Yes its right to ask why no JP but I'm just trying to point out it was not so obvious as you might think.

We've been told by the club this week that he needs an operation after having to come off the game before early. So he's not fully fit. Coker is not fit, everyone knows it and it shows. He's gone from our best player to a liability at the back. Phil Brown likes players to play through the pain, and when they shouldn't. It doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. It's not doing Atkinson or Coker any favours.

I'd still take finishing 20th on goal difference on the last day of the season, (not that we will, but I'd take it). We're doing better than anyone expected us to do.

We'll end up between 11th-15th

Is far from "all doom and gloom" but conceding 11 goals in three games is cause for extreme concern. If we keep conceding at that rate we are unlikely to get another point.

And as for "this is League 1"??? Well we are a League 1 club. Is like Chelsea or even Villa claiming "is not all doom and gloom as this is the Prem".

Nonsense. You don't 'overachieve'. When we were winning it was because we was playing well, and we have lost the last three games because we played bad. All this 'Reality check' is just a load of rubbish, if you play well you get results. If you play bad you don't get results. Simple.

So the standard of opposition, or how the opposition play has no bearing on results?

So the standard of opposition, or how the opposition play has no bearing on results?

Exactly this !

Currently the highest placed team we have beaten is 6th,we won against the bottom 4 and mid table teams ,yet as soon as we play against a team in form we fall over,it's football as we are newly promoted and being honest I'm amazed we are in 8th.

So we shipped another 4 making it 11 conceded in 3 games.

I think we have to admit some of our guys are possibly not up to the standard of league 1.

We can all blame this player or that player but the truth is these guys are not losing or making errors on purpose,they are footballers playing out of their comfort zone and currently are being found out.

Phil and his players need our support as never before,they don't need abuse from some of our so called fans,they need encouragement.

I am immensely proud we have collected those points early doors,the thought of league 2 is one nightmare none of us want.

15 further points and we are home and dry,so remained chilled,keep calm,after all we are Southend United.

Did anyone else have to double-take that this post was actually from mrsblue or was it just me? Fair play to you though, agree with every word.

Did anyone else have to double-take that this post was actually from mrsblue or was it just me? Fair play to you though, agree with every word.

There is definitely a change towards a more reasoned approach from mrsblue. I actually agree with a lot of what she is currently posting.

There is definitely a change towards a more reasoned approach from mrsblue. I actually agree with a lot of what she is currently posting.

you should pop over to the pub, where she denies 9/11 was the fault of terrorists, claims refugees are responsible for all that is bad in the world and thinks the media is controlled by two people...

you should pop over to the pub, where she denies 9/11 was the fault of terrorists, claims refugees are responsible for all that is bad in the world and thinks the media is controlled by two people...

Ouch !

You got me Naps

For now:winking:

Yeah, I should have specified it was a 'Chit Chat' only citation.

Back