• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

It'd prefer Kiernan of the two but beggars can't be choosers. It's a good signing nonetheless.

Kiernan is 25 so potentially longer term yes, but Turner is a better player all be it in the last 2-3 years of his career, CBs tend to play longer and with a full pre-season, assume this means Kiernan wont happen, or maybe the opportunity to sign Turner was unexpected and the plan re getting just one additional Cb changes, we will see.

Wonder who this creative midfielder is?

So a player who allegedly cost Sunderland £11.5m and has played 158 games in the Prem (8 goals) and 130 in the Championship (11 goals).

Regular for Norwich in Championship 14/15, hasn't played too much last 2 years.

Suspect a big drop in wages but he wants to be playing football. Fantastic he makes Spain trip as key will be a full pre-season. Could be an inspired signing a la Spencer Prior as previously mentioned (although probably an even better player).

Sunderland didn't pay £12m for him, they paid £4m.

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport...-sunderland-paid-for-michael-turner-1-1247485

£11.5m according to Transfermarkt that is normally pretty accurate reporting quoted fees- doesn't really matter - experienced Prem player with 158 games under his belt- means he's quite good- and by our standards he cost a lot of money. The other players with that background are Cox, Ferdinand and Fortune who didn't seem too bad either last year.

Just pleased he and Anton are getting full pre-seasons.

So a player who allegedly cost Sunderland £11.5m and has played 158 games in the Prem (8 goals) and 130 in the Championship (11 goals).

Regular for Norwich in Championship 14/15, hasn't played too much last 2 years.

Suspect a big drop in wages but he wants to be playing football. Fantastic he makes Spain trip as key will be a full pre-season. Could be an inspired signing a la Spencer Prior as previously mentioned (although probably an even better player).

Calm down! I only say signing Kiernan would have more longevity potentially. Take nothing from 'beggars can't be choosers' it's tongue in cheek. I'm actually happy either way. My only concern is how mobile he is or isn't. If Ferdinand is the brain a younger player will do the leg work.

Kiernan is 25 so potentially longer term yes, but Turner is a better player all be it in the last 2-3 years of his career, CBs tend to play longer and with a full pre-season, assume this means Kiernan wont happen, or maybe the opportunity to sign Turner was unexpected and the plan re getting just one additional Cb changes, we will see.

Wonder who this creative midfielder is?

We do need at least 2 CB's so lets not discard Kiernan yet. If we sign one then the other ones agent will get the message that he can't hang it out to long.

We do need at least 2 CB's so lets not discard Kiernan yet. If we sign one then the other ones agent will get the message that he can't hang it out to long.

I agree with you that I think we need two, but I thought Brown had said he was only going to sign one?

Could Kiernan play midfield especially if Lenny moved on? Just thought he'd played def mid previously? Could be wrong

As much as I rated Hendrie, I imagine he's on pretty good wages and I can't help but feel the money would've been better spent strengthening other areas of the squad. Seems strange having two very good players on decent wages in the same position. Either Coker is off or Brown is planning to move Macca to right midfield and play Hendrie or Coker at left midfield with the other at left back. Otherwise I'm not sure how we keep them both happy.

Even with Hendrie & Coker on left side, we will still play 4-4-2 as we won 90% of our matches last season playing that way, so we know that formation is our strengths.

Spoke to an Orient buddy of mine Sunday. So I had to ask him what position Demetriou played. He said attacking midfield, on the right and left; and occasionally right-back but I wouldn't play him there unless I had to. What happened I wonder?!

Really highly rated in midfield, a move to Fulham supposedly fell through.

I'm warming to the idea of 3-5-2, I have to say :-

Oxley
Turner Ferdinand Coker?
Demetriou Hendrie
McLaughlin Wordsworth (+playmaker/holding m/f)
Cox Ranger (Fortune for the moment)

I prefer 4-4-2, I have to say, but with Hendrie and Demetriou, they could be two very good wing-backs and I'd fancy them to score a few, as well.

It could leave us exposed in a central position, though. So possibly Hendrie left/central midfield in a 4-4-2

Difficult one.

I'm warming to the idea of 3-5-2, I have to say :-

Oxley
Turner Ferdinand Coker?
Demetriou Hendrie
McLaughlin Wordsworth (+playmaker/holding m/f)
Cox Ranger (Fortune for the moment)

I prefer 4-4-2, I have to say, but with Hendrie and Demetriou, they could be two very good wing-backs and I'd fancy them to score a few, as well.

It could leave us exposed in a central position, though. So possibly Hendrie left/central midfield in a 4-4-2

Difficult one.

Looks like a team to keep Ben Clarkson busy.

Back