• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

It was my post that suggested that Dru was our best young prospect. Hadn't discounted Jack Payne in my thinking but our Manager at the time had to change the system to accomodate him.Even in the latter part of his time with us he was a more useful impact player but still had a way to go. Jack did well to get that move to Huddersfield it has certainly made him a more wealthy young man. Personally think he left a season or two too early but time will tell.

Nobody should blame Payne for leaving when he did,it was a very good move for him.Many(esp.on S-zone!) overrate him however.He has some eye-catching attacking ability,but a very limited all round game,which makes it difficult to fit him into any system.
Back at our(his?)level,when chosen to start at Oxford,he was usually substituted soon after or even at halftime,and he doesn’t seem to get off Blackburn’s bench.
Back on the topic,Yearwood is a much,much brighter prospect.

For what it's worth, I think Dru has more potential than Jack. However, Jack is a very good player and I will just add that he has 10 assists for Oxford, so that would suggest he is a useful player to have in the team. As a comparison, I believe Fortune has 1 assist for us.

he [Jack Payne] doesn’t seem to get off Blackburn’s bench.

He was a used substitute (74th minute) in the 2-1 win away at Fleetwood
He was a used substitute (57th minute) in the 1-1 draw at home with Northampton
He started the match and was substituted (64th Minute) in the 3-1 home win against Wallsal

He was an unused substitute in the 2-0 loss away at plymouth...

Back in Topic.. Dru has a bright future, so long as he is nurtured and supported correctly - potential in abundance!

Dru appears to be a good player in the making and Payne is a good player too. There the comparisons end. Two different players. Dru has six years to navigate to be where Payne is and there is no guarantee he will progress to the level many think he can. He may be a Leonard type of professional or even a Ranger wanabee. Who knows?

As for Payne I always felt he should have been a fox in the box striker, quick turns and causing the defence mayhem. For me he had to come from too deep to be as useful as he could have been. However, Payne is 23 and still carving out a reasonable living from football and so hasn't done too shabby with his potential. Many have fallen by the wayside long before his age.

Back in Topic.. Dru has a bright future, so long as he is nurtured and supported correctly - potential in abundance!
Absolutely this. He's a great prospect but we can't rely on him at his age and in our current scenario; he needs encouragement and advice to guide him into the great player he will hopefully turn out to be.

Absolutely this. He's a great prospect but we can't rely on him at his age and in our current scenario; he needs encouragement and advice to guide him into the great player he will hopefully turn out to be.

Spot on gents, and for those that aren't sure, there is a separate thread in ex shrimpers dedicated to Jack.

http://www.shrimperzone.com/vb/showthread.php?90112-Jack-payne

There's absolutely no shame in using it.

Spot on gents, and for those that aren't sure, there is a separate thread in ex shrimpers dedicated to Jack.

http://www.shrimperzone.com/vb/showthread.php?90112-Jack-payne

There's absolutely no shame in using it.

Guys and gals we were asked nicely to stay on topic - which is Dru Yearwood - but posts continue on this thread about ex-Shrimper Jack Payne so I’ve moved those posts which do not mention Dru at all to their proper home on the Jack Payne thread in the Ex-Shrimpers forum. Posts which at least mentioned Dru have been reprieved.

At the end of yesterdays game I had this thread in mind. I thought Dru could've easily been MoTM for a second consecutive match. Dru was playing against a player that showed a lot of potential from a young and made a big money move in respect to Crewe, not Man Utd and it got me thinking... Who would sign Dru? Will it be a top four team? What value would he reach? Will he be playing in League One at the end of it?

Imagine what £5m odd windfall could do for a club like ours...

Last edited:
I continue to be amazed by him and remember he was playing as a winger before this season.

It's not just his ability that is amazing for his age, it is his temperament, his decision making and his ability to read the game that are just wonderful in one so young.

Druuuuuuuuuu!!!

Dru has been outstanding but also think that being partnered with Timlin has been very good for him. We all know Timlin is one of our most vocal players and you can see he is giving instruction to Dru frequently, personally I'd be verfy wary of breaking this partnership even when wordsworth is fit

Dru has been outstanding but also think that being partnered with Timlin has been very good for him. We all know Timlin is one of our most vocal players and you can see he is giving instruction to Dru frequently, personally I'd be verfy wary of breaking this partnership even when wordsworth is fit

Yep, when both Woody, Wright and Mantom are all fully fit team selection is going to be very interesting.

Yep, when both Woody, Wright and Mantom are all fully fit team selection is going to be very interesting.

It should be very straight forward. Both Timlin and Yearwood have been different class and have been a huge part of the recent upturn in fortunes. Injury aside, nothing should break that up.

Back on the subject of druuuuuuu. He is the brightest prospect we have had for years. He has a 4 year deal and I very much doubt he will see that out at our football club. IF he continues to play and improve he will not go unnoticedby other clubs.

I'm sure that he will have already triggered certain clubs radars already. At his age he is a fantastic prospect.

I'm quietly confident that at some point he will be our record sale and will knock Stan the man of his perch.

Couldn't agree more. You can see Timlin guiding him through games, keeping his head up, keeping him in position. If you're playing a midfield two, that's absolutely essential. And he needs a mentor. The biggest danger for Dru now is that he gets complacent. I certainly think he has the talent to play at a higher level. I'm not sure how high yet. But it's all about attitude, professionalism and work rate now.

Back