• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

16 goals playing for a relegated team who have provided him with pretty appalling service, and i believe our highest number of assists too? add that to his goal-scoring record for the two seasons before and i don't think freddy has anything to prove at levels below the prem.

Thats one thing that we seem to forget here is the fact that freddy hasn't had a great deal of service this season and has generally carved out most of his goals himself.

Just imagine playing in a team with a decent target man , 2 good wingers and a midfield that can pick out the killer ball to Freddy, all this will make Eastwood a better player and he would start scoring some so called 'easy goals' instaed of having to beat 3 defenders and drilling the ball home.

I for one think that he would also get a fair crack off the whip at Charlton to show just how good he is, as i don't think we have seen the full potential in Mr Eastwood yet.

Unfortunately, the widely used term of 'we' is not that relevant when it comes to the crunch. I have no doubt that 'we' would re-invest any large amount of incoming money from the potential sale of eastwood into the squad. The real question is.....will the club owners?
Until that is known I am undecided on whether the team will benifit more from keeping fred here or selling him. I guess im going to have to rely on hindsight a year down the line.

16 goals playing for a relegated team who have provided him with pretty appalling service, and i believe our highest number of assists too? add that to his goal-scoring record for the two seasons before and i don't think freddy has anything to prove at levels below the prem.

Isn't it something like 9 goals from open play in the Championship? Less than Gower? That's unproven to me. I didn't say he couldn't do it, he just hasn't proven that he can. Anyone spending 3M is taking a risk.

Isn't it something like 9 goals from open play in the Championship? Less than Gower? That's unproven to me. I didn't say he couldn't do it, he just hasn't proven that he can. Anyone spending 3M is taking a risk.

wouldn't disagree with the last part.. however i think it fits in with the market for youngish English strikers. If Vine is worth 2m, and Nugent (who's scored at a similar rate to eastwood this year but has done it for a couple of seasons) is worth 5/6m, then 3m for Freddy sounds about right- and we'd certainly be happy with it!

wouldn't disagree with the last part.. however i think it fits in with the market for youngish English strikers. If Vine is worth 2m, and Nugent (who's scored at a similar rate to eastwood this year but has done it for a couple of seasons) is worth 5/6m, then 3m for Freddy sounds about right- and we'd certainly be happy with it!

3m is over the top for fred but i aint complaining. also nugent is a lot better than eastwood and his scoring at a higher rate. plus he has proven himself at the top, eastwood has only shone in league 1 and 2.

The other challenge young Fred has had to deal with this season of course is that he's been the only striker in our team worth marking!

Had Freddy been playing in a team like Birmingham, I think it's safe to assume the additional space and service might have led to him scoring a good few extra goals.

In my mind, while at times he's looked less than interested and his head may have been turned by attention he received after the Man U game, the fact that he remains "unproven" in this league is more to do with the team around him.

Luton aside, it's not like he's wasted loads of good chances.

Last edited:
I actually think that 3m at face value is overpriced - however, I think that this price is based largely on potential and that they would in fact be paying for his potential worth as opposed to what he is now. Knowing that other teams will most likley see this potential, they have to offer more than face value for him.

We all know he hasnt performed this year to the £3m price tag for many many reasons - most of which out of his control, but given the chance I think it is highly likely that he would actually perform well over that price given the chance at a premiership/top half championship team

Last edited:
Sorry but thats bollocks. How can you say that when he hasnt even played there yet? In a decent team with a good strike partner, I think he could score goals at any level. As Leeboy said, hed get far better coaching than he does here, be playing with far better players. My opinion is that he is at least as good as Nugent.

I am with you on this one Clinton.

How can you judge how good a player is when he is having to collect half arsed flick on's from Harrold or a JCR aimless swing into the box.

Get some good players round him and a decent coach or Pardew if they cant find one and I think you will see a different player.

:guns:

Would be a good move for him, Charlton have a decent chance of a return to the premiership, Freddy could do with some more experience at Championship level, with a team that allows him to play.

Just think the guy will be able to concentrate on being a goal scorer without half the crowd slating him for being lazy and not chasing every single lost ball.

Good for him, and if 3m good for us too.

.....a decent coach or Pardew if they cant find one

Pardew may be a **** (& an ex-Spammer) but I don't think you can deny he's a good coach. To do what he did with Reading, the Spammers & to get Charlton almost out of the mess they were in is fairly remarkable. He does lose extra marks though for employing that ultimate w*nker Parkinson!

This is a gamble whichever way you look at it, but I really think that selling Eastwood is a good thing all round and everyone's a winner.

'we' get a potentially handy sum in exchange for a player that hasn't 'performed' as well as in previous years. Fred gets to prove himself at a new team in a possibly higher level, and he won't be knocking them in past us for at least another couple of seasons.

If he's made to see out the duration of his contract, where's the value in that? If he considers that his big chance has passed him by for another season will he play with the enthusiasm we're used to? Will he fire the goals in?

The danger in keeping him is exactly that. RM & ST will come in for the inevitable stick from certain sections of the crowd who claim that the club isn't developing. On the flip side, they may also get a barracking for not keeping the one star player we have.

I say, sell him and let him go. Use the money wisely, however much we get and plan for the future with a team that's not reliant upon one goal scorer.

Good luck Freddy where ever you end up and thanks for the ride.

Charlton look set to sign Southend United striker Freddy Eastwood in the summer for £3 million. Alan Pardew is keen to bring the 23-year-old to The Valley in the summer and bolster the Addicks frontline.

Take the offer - 3 million is too good to say no as Freddy got 1 year to run - what Tilson could do with half of Million to spend - he can get 4 or 5 good players for that much which would send us back up.

Back