• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Trouble with Freddy is he's overweight, which has slowed him up, and he doesn't seem to have much desire. I think he lives a simple and not very expensive life, and therefore is not driven like he should be for a player of his age. He's already made his money, and is happy with his lot I think.

At the last home game I was told by a friend of the Eastwood family that he is fully fit and ready to go.

I personaly don't think unless he is willing to put the work in for the team and chase lost causes like Corr did to set up the goal he won't get any playing time under Sturrock.

You are suggesting that laziness is a gypsy trait. That is a racist statement. That's why it has been moderated.

What next? Was JCR's distribution woeful because black people are stupid?

Are you suggesting balck people are stupid?? Thats a crazy and very narrow minded staitment please think beofre you post

Hate to harp back to it, but relevant to bring it up once again. At the Pie & Pint night with PS, he stated quite clearly that FE was his signing and that he had high hopes for his attacking play, but that he just hasn't gelled with the team yet (if at all). The reasons for that are wide open to debate, but on an evening when PS was completely open and honest about every other question that was asked of him I think he really did have high hopes for Eastwood (as we all did) and wanted him to come good. No one will be more dissapointed than Luggy that it hasn't worked out - who wouldn't love a fully firing Eastwood at this level - it would make his job so much easier. We all know that Luggy likes a certain type of player and isn't afraid to stick to his game plan, but he is also astute enough to play what will work, whatever his personal feelings may be. Clearly he feels that Eastwood doesnt justify selection at the moment, and he hasn't done too bad without him has he?

Hate to harp back to it, but relevant to bring it up once again. At the Pie & Pint night with PS, he stated quite clearly that FE was his signing and that he had high hopes for his attacking play, but that he just hasn't gelled with the team yet (if at all). The reasons for that are wide open to debate, but on an evening when PS was completely open and honest about every other question that was asked of him I think he really did have high hopes for Eastwood (as we all did) and wanted him to come good. No one will be more dissapointed than Luggy that it hasn't worked out - who wouldn't love a fully firing Eastwood at this level - it would make his job so much easier. We all know that Luggy likes a certain type of player and isn't afraid to stick to his game plan, but he is also astute enough to play what will work, whatever his personal feelings may be. Clearly he feels that Eastwood doesnt justify selection at the moment, and he hasn't done too bad without him has he?

Glad you did as I hadnt heard this.

Guess thats one myth put to bed then.

I dont think Sturrock would be cutting off his nose to spite his face to make a point, Im sure he just doesnt think Freddy deserves to be ahead of those that plays.

Techinically he is better than any player we have up front, but if he isnt fit enough, whether thats due to his attitude or just bad luck, then he is going to struggle to get in the side.

Personally I would like to see him playing now Tomlin is out, but Sturrock has far more insight than I and whilst I havent always agreed with his tactics I do bow to his judgement of players.

Sturrock sees him in training and I dont. All I can say is we have had players in on loan such as Lavery who are ahead of Freddy in the pecking order, we have brought on Benyon and Corr time after time ahead of Freddy. Maybe he is not fit but then I ask the question why have him on the bench if that was the case.

I think there is a degree of Sturrock and his favourites. I feel Barker is well due a break and yet he is basically a nailed on starter. Tomlin was given chance (thank god) to play through a poor patch because his face fitted. Britt hasnt scored for ages and yet again he starts every time he is fit. All managers do it but for me this is a factor in Freddy's lack of game time.

Sturrock sees him in training and I dont. All I can say is we have had players in on loan such as Lavery who are ahead of Freddy in the pecking order, we have brought on Benyon and Corr time after time ahead of Freddy. Maybe he is not fit but then I ask the question why have him on the bench if that was the case.

I think there is a degree of Sturrock and his favourites. I feel Barker is well due a break and yet he is basically a nailed on starter. Tomlin was given chance (thank god) to play through a poor patch because his face fitted. Britt hasnt scored for ages and yet again he starts every time he is fit. All managers do it but for me this is a factor in Freddy's lack of game time.

Read Greebosans post. Eastwood was Sturrocks signing so nothing to do with faces fitting.

When Tomlin wasnt scoring I certainly wanted Eastwood to play, but at least Tomlin was working hard.

Britt hasnt scored for ages, yet he has still scored a lot of goals this season, so cant justify dropping him for a player who isnt fit, Im a massive Eastwood fan but would be gobsmacked if Britt was dropped for Freddy.

Last edited:
Don't forget he's been kept out of the side by Tomlin and Britt. But yes I can see why some think he's been a little disappointing but he hasn't really had a proper run of games. I still hope he will get a chance.

This might have been mentioned previously in this thread but has anyone else noticed that Freddy didn’t come out at half time to have a kick about with the rest of the subs against Oxford and also didn’t warm up at all until literally the last few mins of the game. All the other subs were constantly warming up. He never seems to do this, I don’t know whats going on behind closed doors but it could come across in a negative way as to why he’s not doing what he’s meant to do.

I don't know how many of you have seen it, but in the most recent Southend Junior Shrimpers newsletter, we had a Q&A with Freddy. One of the questions was:
What has been the low point of your football career?

And his answer?
Not playing, I’m disappointed to be sitting on the bench

Now, I realise those of you cynics out there will say that's just him coming up with an answer that sounds good and what people want to hear, but I can't honestly imagine too many players who would be content just sitting on the bench.

I think Sturrock has to play the loan players at the moment as they're only here for a while, Freddy has clearly had injury problems so it makes sense for them to play anyway. I hope that they're working on his fitness and recovery because we're going to need as much experience as we can in the next few months if we're to progress towards promotion, not to mention Wembley!

I hate to harp back to it, at the last agm ron martin stated quite clearly FE was his signing both singing from the same song sheet methinks? ...............two harp players dont make a orchestra...........

I hate to harp back to it, at the last agm ron martin stated quite clearly FE was his signing both singing from the same song sheet methinks? ...............two harp players dont make a orchestra...........

So either Ron Martin or Paul Sturrock is lying. Hhmmmm, wonder which one?

He is not giving a chane!!!! Everytime he has come on this year he has looked good! Im so annoyed by this subject i wont be renewing my season ticket

Sorry to say that Freddy has always been an "arm around the shoulder" type of player. The care and attention he got from Tilly and Brushy is conspicuous by its absence now he has returned. He always tended to be "lazy", but this time, there is no one to gee him out of it and Luggy's opinions and choices are always heavily influenced by what he sees in training at B&L. Unfortunately, from Freddy, this is very little. Ambling would be the best way I could describe it. Until he puts in the same or, probably now, more effort than his team mates in training, the chances of seeing him as any more than second string are virtually nil.

Eastwood is given one meaningless start in a local cup game, where he plays badly, alongside other senior players as well, and his career seems over to some of you. Players need a run in the side, so they can get up to pace.We have players up front who PS clearly prefers, and those play on merit, but how is a player able to stake his claim, if never played. The only way forward i can see for FE is to go out on loan to a local club, to get him pitch time.

Back