• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

El Tel passes away aged 80

What a character...top bloke and manager...RIP El Tel..was he not the first (maybe still only?) English player to play at every level for England ??

Always remember the banter between David Webb and Terry Venables before the old League Cup game .

Old enough to remember him as a decent player and an even better manager who was not only charismatic but also very forward thinking. I was lucky enough to go to all the England games at Wembley in Euro 96 and it was a great team to watch and unfortunate in some ways not to win the trophy.
RIP

I was born in 88 so Euro 96 was the first international tournament that I properly experienced . Cheers for the memories El Tel, still remember that Scotland match vividly. RIP.

For the record (and I was working in Barna when Venables was manager back in 83/4 .nobody in Spain ever called TV "El Tel".That was purely a GB media invention.

My favourite El Tel story while he was here snd staying at the Princess Sofia 5 Star hotel near the ground was when a UK journalist confronted him with a pic.of him with a good looking young lass in a bikini by the hotel swimming pool and asked him for his reaction."That's a nice picture of me and our daughter he replied. can I have it? "

Last edited:
RIP El Tel - he brought pride back to the England team after the dismal Taylor years, and provided some absolute magic at Euro '96. Looked like Hoddle was going to continue his good work before he was dismissed for his unfashionable opinions. Southgate has certainly learned from that.

Back