• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Essex County Cricket 2011 Season

How do you wish to discuss Essex cricket this year ?

• New match thread every game plus news threads as and when

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
When RtD returns, and with Ravi looking unlikely to get that test spot, we should at least reduce the length of our tail soon. Phillips is useless, and so I'd hope Westley continues to play as our spinner, and he could in theory bat at 8.

A line-up of these below should score runs really.

Godleman
Mickleburgh/Pettini (Cook won't be about much, will he?)
Shah
Bopara
Walker
RtD
Foster
Westley
Masters
Chambers
Topley/Saffy

I think there are enough bowling options there too.

If my namesake doesn't improve soon, then that middle order is permanently teetering on the brink of a collapse.

Westley is justifying his place with the bat alone, right now - top scorer for us in both innings.

We're now (effectively) 14/7 in our second innings. Woo hoo.

Well, lost by eight wickets, but at least we're not Somerset!

Warwickshire 642
Somerset 210 & 44/8 (13.0 ov)
Somerset trail by 388 runs with 2 wickets remaining

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cr...l-benefit-from-another-schooling-session.html

Article on Topley in the Sundays.....

Also, anyway we can take off the 'poll' aspect in this thread?

That's quite a good article and the brief footage I've seen of Topley did remind me of Reid. I'm glad in a sense that his schooling has intervened and he won't be over bowled and possibly injured as a consequence, and at 17 he's still growing. Essex have a good record in bringing young players through and hopefully Grayson and the coaches will monitor his progress well.

I'm surprised that Berry thinks that England could have made the World Cup Final with Sideshow in the team. :stunned: :nope:

That's quite a good article and the brief footage I've seen of Topley did remind me of Reid. I'm glad in a sense that his schooling has intervened and he won't be over bowled and possibly injured as a consequence, and at 17 he's still growing. Essex have a good record in bringing young players through and hopefully Grayson and the coaches will monitor his progress well.

I'm surprised that Berry thinks that England could have made the World Cup Final with Sideshow in the team. :stunned: :nope:

Topley reminded me of Alan Mullally, who was of course born in Southend. Particularly his batting.

Scyld Berry is the best original thinker in cricket journalism. His articles are always worth a read but I think you do him a disservice because he also prefaced the bit about England reaching the final with a fit Stuart Broad. That was the attack that won 20:20 World Cup and Broad was probably the best bowler in the 20:20 World Cup.

Topley reminded me of Alan Mullally, who was of course born in Southend. Particularly his batting.

Scyld Berry is the best original thinker in cricket journalism. His articles are always worth a read but I think you do him a disservice because he also prefaced the bit about England reaching the final with a fit Stuart Broad. That was the attack that won 20:20 World Cup and Broad was probably the best bowler in the 20:20 World Cup.

Good point about Mulally, born in Southend educated in Perth and played I think albeit briefly in the same WA team as Bruce Reid.

And you maybe right in doing Scyld Berry a disservice, particularly regarding a fit Stuart Broad, but Sideshow in 50 over cricket in the Sub Continent I really can't see it.

Good point about Mulally, born in Southend educated in Perth and played I think albeit briefly in the same WA team as Bruce Reid.

And you maybe right in doing Scyld Berry a disservice, particularly regarding a fit Stuart Broad, but Sideshow in 50 over cricket in the Sub Continent I really can't see it.

Why not? Zaheer was India's best bowler. Vaas carried Sri Lanka's seam attack for years.

Sideshow averages 13.83 at an economy-rate of 3.44 in Sri Lanka in ODIs. I wouldn't fancy him on a road like Bangalore, but it was at Colombo that England fell short, on a track where there was enough in it for the seamers for the likes of Wright and Bopara to go at under 5 an over.

Essex away at Northampton this week.

2 changes to the side that capitulated against Middx - Tsotsobe comes in for his debut in place of Wright, and Phillips returns for Westley who has gone back to Uni.

Essex won the toss and elected to bat - 48/1, Godelman out for 4, Cook 37*, Mickleburgh 6*

Essex away at Northampton this week.

2 changes to the side that capitulated against Middx - Tsotsobe comes in for his debut in place of Wright, and Phillips returns for Westley who has gone back to Uni.

Essex won the toss and elected to bat - 48/1, Godelman out for 4, Cook 37*, Mickleburgh 6*

I see Pettini is playing as well.

88/1 with Cook 57*

112-1.............145 all out??? Naaaaa.......... We'll probably walk all over the leaders..........Godleman doesn't exactly seem to be on a rich vein of form at the moment, or have I missed something?

Good piece up on cracinfo by George Dobell.

Yogi - none of our batsmen are in a rich vein of form! I think our top 6 had managed two fifties between them in the last 2 games.

303-2..........that's 3 bonus points isn't it? Bopara has joined Cook and after staying on zero whilst Cook added another 20, he's suddenly deciced to join the party , with his first three scoring shots being two 4's and a 6! Looks as though this was quite a good toss to have won!

345/6 at the close after a couple of late wickets

Cook found some of his winter form to top score with 155 and young Jaik Mickleburgh added 112 during a partnership of 258 which i think tops all 4 of our completed innings this season thus far

(not so) Super Matty Walker continues to struggle with only 5

Pettini and Foster currently not out

Essex 433 all out but we've been absolute toilet with the ball, (the usually reliable) Masters and newbie Tsospot(sp?) going at nearly 6 an over

83/1 currently ....

Back