• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Euro 2016 qualifiers

Belgium's so-called "Golden Generation" are doing a sterling job of aping our own. A feted squad largely tipped to go all the way in Brazil stunk the place out before a marvellouslly mediocre quarter final exit at the hands of one of the big boys, and are now making hard work of a group whose sternest opponents are Chris Coleman's One Man Band.

I didn't think Danny Gabbidon played for Wales anymore?

Funny how people perceive things, says a lot about their mindset.

Slovenia weren't unfortunate to get not a point, they were fortunate to even get back to 2-2, we were easily the better team.

Going back to 3-2 just put things back as they deserved to be, overall we deserved the win.

England deserved that win,2 great goals from Wilts,2nd half was better
Thank god i could watch it live on German rtl tv,but at half time, they said,i agree,that England were better,but clueless in front of goal
Was i the only one shouting at the tv,for players to shoot at goal(1st half).Only remember Townsend having a shot at goal,from distance(was poor,but at least an effort).
Must admit of having at least 3 beers,too many (again),while watching the game,but next summer we will see how "good"this team/set up is

While the England haters continue to find fault, the Netherlands are third in their group and potentially facing the playoffs while Greece - last 16 in the 2014 World Cup - are rock bottom of their group. Russia are up against it too.

I'm happy enough with where we are right now.

That said, I'd really like John Stones to start playing regularly for Everton - with a bit more experience, he could help bolster our defence which isn't looking great to be fair.

Uncle Leo..please..dont think anybody here are England haters,we all want the same...but different views

England deserved that win,2 great goals from Wilts,2nd half was better
Thank god i could watch it live on German rtl tv,but at half time, they said,i agree,that England were better,but clueless in front of goal
Was i the only one shouting at the tv,for players to shoot at goal(1st half).Only remember Townsend having a shot at goal,from distance(was poor,but at least an effort).
Must admit of having at least 3 beers,too many (again),while watching the game,but next summer we will see how "good"this team/set up is

We will indeed, I'm afraid.:sad:

A few other things to note.

We're at the end of a long and hard season, many players have already had a couple of weeks off and it was clearly hard for them to get up to tempo at times. In fact, that's what makes the energy and tempo yesterday even more impressive. Slovenia couldn't cope with it.

Also, England's current best player from the campaign (Welbeck) and current best sub from the campaign (Oxlade-Chamberlain) were missing, as were some young players who are either being rested or back playing in the U21 championship (Stones, Chambers, Shaw etc).

Our defenders aren't very good, but they are young and have the ability to improve, even in the course of this qualification campaign. Cahill needs to learn how to lead because he's had the luxury of playing alongside Terry. Hart needs to organise his defense more now that he's a senior and established player (I think his organisational skills are by far his biggest weakness, there have been many similar 'rookie errors' by City at times).

Wilshere is a million times better when he passes through teams rather than tries to run through teams.

Rooney might be unfit, but he's still our best player and Henderson is our most important player.

We have some good friendlies lined up where we can put our defense under a bit more of an examination. However we do need to keep switched on - the errors last night were down to brainfarts and that can be excused seeing as it's the end of the season against a team who didn't offer too much.

Last edited:
A few other things to note.

We're at the end of a long and hard season, many players have already had a couple of weeks off and it was clearly hard for them to get up to tempo at time. In fact, that's what makes the energy and tempo yesterday even more impressive. Slovenia couldn't cope with it.

Also, England's current best player from the campaign (Welbeck) and current best sub from the campaign (Oxlade-Chamberlain) were missing, as were some young players who are either being rested or back playing in the U21 championship (Stones, Chambers, Shaw etc).

Our defenders aren't very good, but they are young and have the ability to improve, even in the course of this qualification campaign. Cahill needs to learn how to lead because he's had the luxury of playing alongside Terry. Hart needs to organise his defense more now that he's a senior and established player (I think his organisational skills are by far his biggest weakness, there have been many similar 'rookie errors' by City at times).

Wilshere is a million times better when he passes through teams rather than tries to run through teams.

Rooney might be unfit, but he's still our best player and Henderson is our most important player.

We have some good friendlies lined up where we can put our defense under a bit more of an examination. However we do need to keep switched on - the errors last night were down to brainfarts and that can be excused seeing as it's the end of the season against a team who didn't offer too much.

Firstly, I just want to say that I'm an England fan and hope we do well. Secondly, I like this post but I'm curious as to why you judge Henderson as our most important player. Not seeking to score points or undermine you but genuinely interested in your reasoning.

Firstly, I just want to say that I'm an England fan and hope we do well. Secondly, I like this post but I'm curious as to why you judge Henderson as our most important player. Not seeking to score points or undermine you but genuinely interested in your reasoning.

He's our most important midfielder because he's the platform for our attacking play. He's versatile, with a full set of skills and a true athlete. He enables Delph to link up in attack and gives Wilshere the time and space he needs to operate. He can cross, pass, tackle, track, shoot and organise. Also, he's only 24 and he's the best midfielder in England (apart from Lampard).

Like Carrick before him, he might be underrated for his whole career, but we need Henderson in our team to build around and we would miss him if he wasn't playing.

You can tell a good midfielder if they can adapt to fullback with minimal discomfort (not saying he was perfect, he didn't get tight for their second).

He's our most important midfielder because he's the platform for our attacking play. He's versatile, with a full set of skills and a true athlete. He enables Delph to link up in attack and gives Wilshere the time and space he needs to operate. He can cross, pass, tackle, track, shoot and organise. Also, he's only 24 and he's the best midfielder in England (apart from Lampard).

Like Carrick before him, he might be underrated for his whole career, but we need Henderson in our team to build around and we would miss him if he wasn't playing.

You can tell a good midfielder if they can adapt to fullback with minimal discomfort (not saying he was perfect, he didn't get tight for their second).

Thanks. I think that he's come on a great deal over the last 2 years. I liked the way that he and Delph covered for Wilshere's forays forward yesterday. Quite interested in what Hoddle was saying about Lallana too and how his particular link up play helped Rooney and the other midfielders.

Personally,if Carrick was fit I'd play him in midfield ahead of Henderson.

I think Delph is a good fit there on the left.

He's a good fit and has played well but I think he could be upgraded with Carrick. We'd maybe have less pace on the break but we'd have a more organised and disciplined midfield. Wilshere can play in a more advanced role.

Netherlands really are trying their best not to qualify aren't they? They'd be fourth in their group now had Turkey not conceded an injury time equaliser to Latvia.

Well done Wales - all but there now.

Netherlands really are trying their best not to qualify aren't they? They'd be fourth in their group now had Turkey not conceded an injury time equaliser to Latvia.

Well done Wales - all but there now.
Read something that the probability estimated for Netherlands to qualify at the start of the campaign was 98%.

Read something that the probability estimated for Netherlands to qualify at the start of the campaign was 98%.

I saw that too - maybe it was a RT from you now I think about it!

Huge game in that group next week - Turkey v Netherlands.

Hoping Northern Ireland beat the Faroes this weekend. Over the years, they've often got decent results against 'bigger' sides and then blown it by dropping points to the 'smaller' ones. Hungary and Romania, their rivals for the top two spots, play each other tonight, so points will be dropped there - massive night for the North.

What a header from Bale. Putting right what Giggs refused to do, and put his balls on the line for his country.

but he looks a right plum with the beard and haircut. Makes Coker's style look almost cool!

Back