• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Whatever. He is a new man in charge and cannot do any worse than the porevious incumbent who failed over the last two seasons - depite the ridiculous love-in. I'll give him credit for his first season, and, in fact, he is leaving us in no better position than at the equivalent stage of that season. Stagnation is his middle name.

I'm sure that St Johnstone, Plymouth, Sheffield Wed and Swindon will disagree with you there.

He cant have got it wrong EVERY time or Hull wouldnt have got promoted & stayed in the PL in there first season under his guideance, to do that with Hull is an achievement!!

Steve Tilson has relegated EVERY club he has managed but some call him 'our best' & Dave Webb did naff all away from RH, maybe just maybe Phil Brown & Southend might just click together!

In terms of re-sale value, which my post was referring to, it is every time. Either reply in context or don't bother.

An interesting break down. Obviously we will all reserve judgement but you can't just ignore his previous record.

An interesting break down. Obviously we will all reserve judgement but you can't just ignore his previous record.

I know I am repeating myself (and even boring myself) but most were happy to ignore Freddy's "previous record" when indulging in "cloud cukoo land" nonsense just a few months ago!

Dave Webb did naff all away from RH,

Naff all ?

Webb returned to Chelsea as manager in February 1993 on a short-term contract to replace Ian Porterfield – another former player. The club were in freefall, without a league win in over two months and threatened with relegation. Under Webb, performances and results gradually improved and the team eventually finished a comfortable 11th in the Premiership

The way things are now ,if he can take us into Division 1 ,it would equal his success at taking Hull to the premiership in my eyes .Will he then become a Southend legend.Afterall many here have said PS is Southend legend and he didnt get us promoted ,just a day out to Wembley. Dont get me wrong even though im unable to make it there i will be eternally grateful to him for that. But as RM as stated his first priority was to get us promoted not to fulfill his own dream of leading a team out at Wembley.Please give the new manager a chance before you go of at him.

I think we are getting this wrong, expect us to become West Ham Reserves, they will send loanees to one place in a partnership, nobody has to move house, they can keep close tabs and the connection is there between Brown and Allardyce who will probably retain his job if they stay up, which they probably will.

A good way for them to develop cheaply, and if we have a reduced budget next season maybe we don't pay for them. They might buy a decent youngster like Bentley from us, but loan him back but he still trains with them, that sort of stuff.

Few northerners will come south, so this is why I think he got the job.

In terms of re-sale value, which my post was referring to, it is every time. Either reply in context or don't bother.

The last manager we had who bought low sold high was Barry Fry, then in The Championship, other than that we aint recieved much on the transfer front except eastwood, in the championship, name other league 2 clubs who earn fortunes buying & selling on, the last one being Gillingham who sold Jarvis to Wolves, but they only got the money from a sell on to Wet Spam, if your implying you want a manager who buys low & sells high, then i cant think of one in league 2!!

Naff all ?

Webb returned to Chelsea as manager in February 1993 on a short-term contract to replace Ian Porterfield – another former player. The club were in freefall, without a league win in over two months and threatened with relegation. Under Webb, performances and results gradually improved and the team eventually finished a comfortable 11th in the Premiership

Oh a good 6 months at Chelsea, with a squad including Wise, Townsend, Cascarino etc, he justcame in to steady a ship & motivate, he didnt even get the job after that, they went with Hoddle, if 6 months of good management in the premier league make you great, then Phil Brown is the new Mourinho!

Well, we may not have to wait long to see his first signing for us..........albeit a loan one.

Chris Phillips ‏@CJPhillips1982 1 h Brown also said it was possible that one new signing could be made before the transfer window shuts on Thursday @sufcrootshall

He's obviously identified a weakness (only one!), anyone any idea what position it's likely to be? A defender possibly, considering the amount of goals we've been shipping recently.

i for one am going to get behind Phil Brown! maybe we all should, he has been offered a chance to do a job!! i may not like the way he was offered the position but that is out of our hands, what goes on behind closed doors is unfortunately nothing to do with us, all we need to do is be united and cheer on the players and give them the great support they always get

The last manager we had who bought low sold high was Barry Fry, then in The Championship, other than that we aint recieved much on the transfer front except eastwood, in the championship, name other league 2 clubs who earn fortunes buying & selling on, the last one being Gillingham who sold Jarvis to Wolves, but they only got the money from a sell on to Wet Spam, if your implying you want a manager who buys low & sells high, then i cant think of one in league 2!!

John Still was an expert at this at Daggers. Granted, he's left L2 in the last few weeks.

Another recent L2 manager who developed players and sold them on for profit was Paul Sturrock. Remember him?

Worst opening post to a thread ever.

Shows us absolutely nothing. Actually it shouldn't even be in this forum - nothing to do with Southend United

John Still was an expert at this at Daggers. Granted, he's left L2 in the last few weeks.

Another recent L2 manager who developed players and sold them on for profit was Paul Sturrock. Remember him?

Ferdinand was a youth product, so cant claim that one, & Hall is the only one he shifted on for good money, apoligies if ive missed anyone off, what Sturrock did was get cheap players in & nearly make a good job of it!

Not sure what the lack of transfer fees received has to do with his success levels?

You could argue that the fact he kept Hull in the Premier league for a season generated in excess of £30m in total revenue which when offset against the lack of transfer fees received makes the whole argument rather pointless.

Some posters need to think a little more outside the box before writing an essay #dothemaths!

Does that zero total for incoming transfer fees include the £4,000,000 they got for Michael Turner in 2009?

Or are you only counting players he actually signed ?

Only players he signed.

Maybe he deserves credit for developing Turner though?

That shows is he was unable to attract decent players to Hull despite having money to spend (a bit like us when we were in the Championship )

He spend 14M and kept Hull in the premiership, I think most newly promoted clubs would take that , particularly as the players , given where they went , were not what some would call premier class (maybe shows he can motivate ?)
Spent a further 5M the next season and failed to keep them up.

20M for a manager who has got a team out of the championship relegation zone , then into the playoffs and has had 18 months in the Prem doesn't sound an awful lot to me.

As for selling on players , recouping transfer fees is not something a club aspiring to get into the prem , or trying to stay in it , generally prioritises.

YB I can understand your scepticism about PB, I am far from convinced he is the man for the job myself, but this list does not reinforce your belief.

Might be time to reign it in a bit mate, before you shift from a respected poster to another Glasgow/Inerpol

Cheers for the counter argument please keep them coming. I'm not sure I agree and even if that's right I'm not sure how that helps a club like us, but I hope for the club's sake you are right.

Everyone is having a go at YB but that record is worrying to say the least. Obviously there wont be that kind (or any kind) of money at Southend but Brown does seem to have a penchant for the 'has been' - just look at that list again for players not just on their 'way down' but 'clapped out'. I can't see that he has unearthed many diamonds in the rough either which basically is a prerequisite for any Southend boss. Ron used to talk about the importance of researching players and managers history and background - has he really done that with Phil Brown?

Thank you.

My post is more about having a go at the appointment than at the man who was appointed. The question I asked at the end was why?

That's having a go at Ron not Brown.

At the moment it's looking like Ron was seduced by him being a "name", someone people had heard of. He must be good he managed in the premiership. It looks like an appointment for PR reasons than football reasons.

I fear he's put his vanity before the interests of the football club on this one.

Now I'm seeing some unlikely names queue up to defend him!

Trust me, these are the only boring posts on this thread - apart from this one obviously.

I think Yorkie should be giving the man a chance - and I suspect he will as acceptance of the situation kicks in - but I'll repeat what I said the other day, this is a discussion forum. If YB doesn't think it's the right appointment, there's no problem whatsoever in posting that opinion. While yes, we probably should just be getting behind him, do we all really want to be just sheep? Rather than the abuse, why not pick holes in YB's argument?

Edit: Or basically what N'Zamba Legend said about a minute earlier...

By all means someone pick holes in my argument.

One of my earlier posts I was actually asking question because I didn't know enough about the bloke. My questions were interpreted as attacks.

Give the guy a ****ing chance!! Alex Ferguson 'the greatest to have ever lived' has made shocking signings in the past and spent untold millions doing it, the Veron deal alone cost Utd £80 million in fees & wages, dont you think he should ever be allowed to buy again??????, they aint gonna get it right every time, anyway last time i looked he aint got no money to spend, unless Ron has found his war chest, so lets get behind him & give the club our full support!!

The difference being Fergie also makes good signings.

Alvin Martin signed Kevin Maher, Wignall signed Mark Gower. Even bad managers sign good players but not one of his signings has seemingly made a lasting legacy at any of his clubs. None of them were sold for profit (soccerbase isn't always good at listing fees but it seems to list fees paid ok here).

This is hugely concerning.

There's getting it wrong sometimes, and getting it wrong every time.

YB's stats give worrying credence to my gut feeling that Brown is a poor appointment. Clubs like Southend need a manager to buy low and sell high, and it's worrying Brown has no history of this.

I would absolutely love to be wrong though.

This sums up my feelings.

A good point. Yorkie, how would you compare Brown's achievement in getting Hull into the Premiership and keeping them there for a year with Tilson's achievement in getting Southend into the Championship before seeing us drop straight back out (albeit with a lot of turmoil in the background)? In terms of our relative ambitions, there must be some similiarities? To counter your longevity debate around Brown's signings, at least where Hull are concerned, is there any argument that says the players he used to get out of the Championship weren't good enough for the Premier League?

The main difference is that Tilson was successful over a 2 year period. He also had cup success bookending that 2 year period. Brown was basically successful for 12 months. His promotion through the play-offs was achieved on the back of a good run second half of the season and they stayed up because of a good run in the first half before tanking second half of the season.

Worst opening post to a thread ever.

Shows us absolutely nothing. Actually it shouldn't even be in this forum - nothing to do with Southend United

Completely disagree. His track record is entirely relevant.

Past performance is no guarantee of future performance but it is a good indicator.

There's a lot of burying of heads in the sand going on here.

Not sure what the lack of transfer fees received has to do with his success levels?

You could argue that the fact he kept Hull in the Premier league for a season generated in excess of £30m in total revenue which when offset against the lack of transfer fees received makes the whole argument rather pointless.

Some posters need to think a little more outside the box before writing an essay #dothemaths!

It's a fair point off-setting it against extra revenue generated. Although there will have been extra costs as wages will have eaten into that.

What was Hull's financial position like after relegation? Were they completely wrecked or was it sustainable? Even in a relegated side I would have expected one or two players to have enhanced their reputation and be worth more than they were signed for.

How about his transfer record at other clubs?

Im expecting big things from Brown now YB has put his opinion in. Going on his past opinions....

Blair Sturrock is good...

Prosser is good.....

Barrett is rubbish....

McCormack is rubbish....

Now Brown is rubbish....

Can you see the promotion pattern?

Whatever. He is a new man in charge and cannot do any worse than the porevious incumbent who failed over the last two seasons - depite the ridiculous love-in. I'll give him credit for his first season, and, in fact, he is leaving us in no better position than at the equivalent stage of that season. Stagnation is his middle name.

I find that an astonishing comment.....

I hope sincerely that PB proves to be the man to take SUFC to the next level, but I simply don't think that he has the skills needed at this level and this club (or chairman, if you prefer). And I am so offended by your disrespect to Sir Luggy that I wish to challenge you, Sir!

I will wager £20 to Little Havens that we will be worse off on this date next year. In other words, unless PB has left by then (in which case I win), if our position is ninth or higher or our points total is 55 points or higher then you win and I pay Little Havens £20. If, however, neither our points total nor our position is better than today, you lose and pay Little Havens £20. That gives you the House edge.

Deal?

Back