• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

First half was absolutely awful, the worst 45 I've seen from us in a long time. Defence looked shakey, no threat up front and the midfield was non-existent. Second half was better

It's amazing how shaky the defence looks on the odd occasion when JW doesn't play. Shows how underestimated he is by some.

At this stage, three points is all that matters - and we got them, so it's job done.
It wasn't the best performance, and I agree with people who've posted earlier saying firstly that you notice John White most when he's not there, and that Brown again made bizarre substituions (but got away with it). I'd go a stage further and say Coker's reluctance to put a cross in irritates me - he put 1 cross in all game, despite having numerous opportunites - each time he looked for his winger. Difficult to pick a man of the match today, but I'd say Timlin shaded it from one of the centre halves.
Bring on Bury.

Live in Exeter now so hardly ever see us - but today - wow! Couldn't believe how badly we played first half, but dominated second. Thought the substitutions were very positive and Weston really hurt them with pace. Corr is a class act at this level. Very disappointed though with Piggott and Cassidy, neither did anything and in a match with a few missed chances, Piggott's header early in second half was a terrible miss. But strong defence, little for Bentley to do, and excellent all round from Timlin.

Yes, I thought the much reviled Weston actually played a large role in overcoming Exeter's defence. They were scared of his pace and physical presence and this seemed to tire them out - it was quite hot in the sunshine and the Exeter backs were struggling by the end. I thought all three subs were actually appropriate and all three performed well. Piggott is a big unit with sharp elbows, and he certainly roughed up the Exeter defenders - he was lucky not to be booked - but he missed two gilt edged chances and, as I said previously, looked knackered. The ref had a pretty good game letting strong tackles pass which other refs would have blown up for, it helped the flow of the game and therew as only one booking in the match.

1st half performance poor, only highlight being the pasty! 2nd half better but was concerned like most when Weston came on. However he nearly scored forcing a good save from their keeper, just before Timlin scored, queue crazy scenes on the terrace!

A great away day amongst the 445 other fans!

Yes, I thought the much reviled Weston actually played a large role in overcoming Exeter's defence. They were scared of his pace and physical presence and this seemed to tire them out - it was quite hot in the sunshine and the Exeter backs were struggling by the end. I thought all three subs were actually appropriate and all three performed well. Piggott is a big unit with sharp elbows, and he certainly roughed up the Exeter defenders - he was lucky not to be booked - but he missed two gilt edged chances and, as I said previously, looked knackered. The ref had a pretty good game letting strong tackles pass which other refs would have blown up for, it helped the flow of the game and therew as only one booking in the match.

Just seen the highlights, and Weston hit that shot so sweet, but the goalie made a magnificent save. He also won the ball back and then did the right pass that led to our goal. So for a nice change, well done Miles Weston.

Devon exile first game since Torquay away last season. Exeter should have been out of sight in the first half, Blues much better second half. Piggott no not really. Timlin was the MOM for me excellent performance, liked the look of Payne. Deegan nice beard.The old fellow at the back looked a bit like Adam Barrett but it couldn't have been obviously.

Great result, manic celebrations. Still in Exeter after a fab weekend, the score was the icing on the cake. Here's a sketchy report-

First half - so forgettable I've forgotten already.

Second half - we nearly scored before Exeter had touched the ball, and in fact should have scored. a great move, terrific cross and Pigott had a clear header that he should have hit the target with. Welooked better going forward but both managers made double subs at the same time - not sure I've seen that before. This was just what was needed and I can't see how they were bizarre at all (as someone has said). Weston looked fresh and aside from Jack Payne playing us into terrible trouble with his first touch, which they nearly scored from, his pace and energy was just the job. Weston in particular worked hard and won the ball back brilliantly to set up the winner. Great finish by Tims who was off balance when he scooped it in.

Absolutely mental celebrations ensued, you'd have thought we'd have won the league. Dream kept alive, onwards to Gigg Lane and hopefully another 3 points.

Ratings -

Bentley - 7 - One good save, dealt with everything else easily
Leonard - 7 - Shaky start, got better. Still prefer Whits as RB.
Coker - 7 - Solid
Bolger - 7 - Aerially dominant as usual. Please don't try and play football on the deck.
Barrett - 8 - Excellent game. Best CB at the club.
Atkinson - 6 - Didn't really get into the game
Timlin - 9 - MOM - was everywhere and matchwinning goal was deserved.
Deegan - 8 - Solid and made some great tackles
McLaughlin - 6 - Not one of his better games
Pigott - 4 - Looked tired, lethargic, disinterested and should have scored.
Cassidy - 5 - Tried hard but didn't really contribute much

Subs -
Weston - 8 - Changed the game, great pace
Payne - 8 - Again, changed the game.
Corr - 7 - Gave Exeter something to think about. Loved the wave goodbye to their fans at the end.

Just seen the highlights from the FL show. Weston made that goal, what a legend. He doesn't let the boo boys get to him and make his head drop. Great determination to get the ball back.

Let's hope we continue this into our last 3.

Exeter looked a nice passing side and really should have been two up by HT. After about 35 mins., we started coming into the game and I felt our more direct approach was starting to unsettle them. It was nice to see Bolger play ninety minutes in Devon, having been sent off at Plymouth early in the season, and he and AB looked commanding in the middle of our defence. The Weston and Payne substitutions did cause a certain amount of bemusement - and I guess that's understandable if you remember the Burton away game - but hats off to Myles, the boy done great. He played an important part in the goal and gave us greater energy and unpredictability (!) at the finish. Credit where it's due and PB deserves some kudos for those substitutions. Always a pleasure to see the big man BBBC come on and his nuisance value played its part in adding to the Exeter defenders' pressures towards the end of the game. Great resilience and team commitment and if you wanted the ball to land at anyone's feet in the area in the 92nd minute, then I'm so glad that Payne ensured it arrived at Tidy Tim's! Cue heart-warming celebration in the St James' Park sun! :happy:

Back