• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The magic of the FA Cup means that a team who work hard, stick together, and follow their game plan

The magic of the FA Cup disappeared a long time ago, a cup game at Yeovil's near empty stadium really doesn't get the pulse racing for many people (hence the low crowd) and probably even the players. It was the 47th most important game of the season in terms of priorities. We've had a good couple of results in the league recently, hopefully this will continue once the league campaign recommences on Saturday.

Can I assume that this game wasn't on ifollow?

If this thread is about the match here we go.

The first half was one of the worst I have ever seen for attitude.

The players just didn't give a ****

Yeovil could have had a penalty before Lenny's foul when Ferdinand made contact with one of their forwards who went straight down. It wasn't a penalty but I've seen them given.

They all went off at HT without breaking sweat - a bit like the Old Boys when we played Eastwood Rangers.

Barry Fry would have made three substitutions after half an hour.

The second half was better and there were a couple of goal line clearances but Yeovil deserved their luck and could have scored a second on a couple of occasions. Amazing considering that both of their first choice forwards were missing.

We got what we deserved - nothing.

Personally I put it down to Mr Motivator, who clearly doesn't understand what his 'I'll walk over hot coals to get the South Shields job' sound bites do to the players under his command. Bring back a DOF like Tara or Gary to sort this fella out.

Ratings

Oxley: He was awful when he signed and I certainly considered him to be another Emberson. This season he has been great and apart from one awful flap at a cross, which he completely missed,he was fautless again today. The penalty was unstoppable. 7
Demetriou: Second half he was excellent but his efforts just highlighted how little he was bothered first half. 6
Ferdinand: So relaxed he almost falls over. No thanks. I want a captain to be leading by example and getting the best out of his team on the pitch. No chance. Nearly caught out for another penalty and arguing with the referee for no particularly good reason. 4
White: How this bloke continues to give 7.5 out of 10 as a minimum is incredible seeing as his boss can't wait to replace him and constantly tells anyone who'll listen that everything will be fine when he's not playing. Again today he was excellent at the back and did everything required - unlike his partner. 8
Timlin: I like Tims but not a great day for him. PLAYING OUT OF POSITION because Brown signed Hendrie who had four games last year - yes four! 5
Kightly: He was great when he was here before and was desparately unlucky to be released. This time around he thinks he's Billy Big B******* No thanks. Lucky not to give a second goal away when he 'did a McLaughlin at Wigan'. 4
Leonard: Always does his best and today was no exception. He gave the penalty away but at least he was trying to win the ball. 7
Wordsworth: A class above and obviously thinks that playing at Yeovil is below him. 3
Wright: The guy just passes it short backwards or sideways and today was no exception. 1 ( He would get an extra mark if he could persuade his brother to come and play left back for us).
Cox: One of the few who couldn't be faulted for effort BUT HIS JOB IS TO STAY UP FRONT AND SCORE. Brown should surely be pointing this out. 5
Fortune: OK today but no support and never looked like scoring despite a couple of on target efforts 5

Well there you go.

I would just love to hear the case for the defence from Rigsby.

Surely even he could not defend Brown for this debacle, which was far worse than our legendary reverse to the Ducks.

Only on audio.No video.Not much Sound and vision, as David Bowie might have said.:winking:

We're all hurting about the result atm but there's a chance to put it right on Tuesday.Also,If we pick up points and move up L1, the Yeovil game will eventually be forgotten .

In any case, (as I've said elsewhere),no amount of whinging by posters on SZ will affect PB's position.The Chairman has the ultimate say about that.

Thanks for the match report,btw.Sounds pretty much like what was described on the radio.

(PS.As far as Eastwood Rangers are concerned, I always broke more than my fair share of sweat for them.Then again, that was back in Youth League days).:cricko:

I think you're confusing motivation with 'bothering to try'. I don't know what your job is but football isn't like most jobs, a better comparison that most could relate to would probably be playing darts, snooker or some other competitive game. I'm pretty bad at darts but sometimes if I get a couple of darts in or near triple 20 I'll start playing well because subconsciously I start believing that I'm actually alright, so I stop overthinking everything and just throw naturally. Meanwhile if the darts are going wayward I start overthinking what I'm doing and inevitably that leads to more poor throws. I'm still trying to win when I'm playing badly, but my motivation has been affected by the bad throws which affects how I play.

It's rare to find a team that won't intentionally be trying to win matches but there are a lot of motivational factors that can influence how someone plays. A player being in a good run of form will try shots that he wouldn't usually dream of because he believes it will comes off, whilst a player out of form will look to lay the ball off because a voice in his head will tell him he's going to balloon it over the bar if he has a go. Look at Mark Oxley, he was absolutely useless at the start of last season, he kept overthinking simple saves and as a result kept dropping the ball, this year he looks confident and assured, and so he's making reaction saves he wouldn't have got anywhere near last season.

It's subconscious factors that can make players play more negatively or positively than they usually would and it is absolutely part of the manager's job to encourage the positive thoughts and dispell the negative ones. I think it's why we tend to go on long runs of good form followed by runs of bad form, I don't think Brown knows how to get players to snap out of a negative mentality but does know how to give players encouragement when they're playing well.

Having read your reply I have one question. If Oxley is a better player than last season, which he undoubtedly is, has not Phil Brown been part of that.? I've listened to many of his post match interviews and he has sung his praises after many performances. This is motivation is it not?

There have been matches this season where the performance wasn't good enough. So is PB 100% to blame for those?

Having slept on it I don’t feel any better so for what it’s worth here are my ratings

Oxley 5
Demitrou 4
White 4
Ferdinand 4
Timlin 2
Wright 2 (0 when he went in the middle)
Leonard 4
Wordsworth 2
Kightly 2
Fortune 2
Cox 6

subs -
McLaughlin 0
McGlashan 0
Ranger 0

The magic of the FA Cup disappeared a long time ago, a cup game at Yeovil's near empty stadium really doesn't get the pulse racing for many people (hence the low crowd) and probably even the players. It was the 47th most important game of the season in terms of priorities. We've had a good couple of results in the league recently, hopefully this will continue once the league campaign recommences on Saturday.

Perhaps for the Premiership elite and the way they treat the competition. But not in the lower echelons of English football. You try yelling that to Boreham Wood or Maidstone United, Oxford City etc...

And there will be one or two L1, L2 or maybe non league teams that will get an immense pay day come 3rd Round draw in January that will cover their Bills for the rest of the season and maybe beyond...! Unfortunately once again we would have budgeted at the beginning of the season for a longer cup run in either major competitions than we have yet again managed. Therefore expect certain things to happen (or not happen) in January, as a result of this.

Would be ironic if Billericay Town end up going the furthest of all ESSEX clubs in this competition!

Perhaps for the Premiership elite and the way they treat the competition. But not in the lower echelons of English football. You try yelling that to Boreham Wood or Maidstone United, Oxford City etc...

And there will be one or two L1, L2 or maybe non league teams that will get an immense pay day come 3rd Round draw in January that will cover their Bills for the rest of the season and maybe beyond...! Unfortunately once again we would have budgeted at the beginning of the season for a longer cup run in either major competitions than we have yet again managed. Therefore expect certain things to happen (or not happen) in January, as a result of this.

Would be ironic if Billericay Town end up going the furthest of all ESSEX clubs in this competition!

We'd never hear the end of it from that big oaf

Having read your reply I have one question. If Oxley is a better player than last season, which he undoubtedly is, has not Phil Brown been part of that.? I've listened to many of his post match interviews and he has sung his praises after many performances. This is motivation is it not?

There have been matches this season where the performance wasn't good enough. So is PB 100% to blame for those?

Like I said Brown is good at keeping a player's confidence high when they're doing well, which is why we go on long unbeaten steaks, when everything's going well Brown keeps the spirits up. Oxley started well this season coming back from injury and Brown knows how to sing a player's praises when they're in form to keep spirits high. It's when a player isn't doing well Brown seems to struggle to get their head back in the right place. Obviously it's not 100% his fault (and I think he's still a better manager than anyone else we'd get in) but turning bad form around does seem to be a weakness of his.

Like I said Brown is good at keeping a player's confidence high when they're doing well, which is why we go on long unbeaten steaks, when everything's going well Brown keeps the spirits up. Oxley started well this season coming back from injury and Brown knows how to sing a player's praises when they're in form to keep spirits high. It's when a player isn't doing well Brown seems to struggle to get their head back in the right place. Obviously it's not 100% his fault (and I think he's still a better manager than anyone else we'd get in) but turning bad form around does seem to be a weakness of his.

But we're not on a bad run, so this doesn't apply to yesterdays performance; therefore if the attitude was wrong yesterday, the players have to take the blame for that

Only on audio.No video.Not much Sound and vision, as David Bowie might have said.:winking:

We're all hurting about the result atm but there's a chance to put it right on Tuesday.Also,If we pick up points and move up L1, the Yeovil game will eventually be forgotten .

In any case, (as I've said elsewhere),no amount of whinging by posters on SZ will affect PB's position.The Chairman has the ultimate say about that.

Thanks for the match report,btw.Sounds pretty much like what was described on the radio.

(PS.As far as Eastwood Rangers are concerned, I always broke more than my fair share of sweat for them.Then again, that was back in Youth League days).:cricko:

how can we put it right - we are out, no extra cash coming in, no chance of a future dream game ( or didn't you enjoy cup games against Man U , Chelsea, Spurs). A cup run might have meant money for players in Jan or even the difference between keeping Lenny until the end of the season

I’d just like to sum up:
Our chairman has enabled us to have a very able and probably highly paid squad with at least a few players well capable of playing at a higher level (inc. an excellent keeper!).
This was a cup-tie we definitely wanted to win,or at worst draw,especially for financial reasons,against lower league 2 opposition ,missing their 2 strikers. The manager was responsible for good motivation,team selection(Timlin left back!!!) and tactics.He failed DISMALLY !

From these ratings I am beginning to think that there was a deliberate intent to lose the game.

how can we put it right - we are out, no extra cash coming in, no chance of a future dream game ( or didn't you enjoy cup games against Man U , Chelsea, Spurs). A cup run might have meant money for players in Jan or even the difference between keeping Lenny until the end of the season

We can start to put it right by beating Colchester on Tuesday and hopefully ending up at Wembley again in the Checkatrade trophy final.

I certainly did enjoy our cup games against MU and Chelsea (didn't see the Spurs games unfortunately).As I said, we're still all hurting about the Yeovil result but our cup record since 2013 has been woeful.

Only time will tell if Lenny will be off in January or not,meanwhile I'd've though a good run in L1 would be our best chance of holding onto him.

We can start to put it right by beating Colchester on Tuesday and hopefully ending up at Wembley again in the Checkatrade trophy final.

I certainly did enjoy our cup games against MU and Chelsea (didn't see the Spurs games unfortunately).As I said, we're still all hurting about the Yeovil result but our cup record since 2013 has been woeful.

Only time will tell if Lenny will be off in January or not,meanwhile I'd've though a good run in L1 would be our best chance of holding onto him.
how does that put it right - we are still out, what part of my post is so difficult to understand? We can rebuild some pride, we may even do well in the league trophy, but it won’t put it right !

how does that put it right - we are still out, what part of my post is so difficult to understand? We can rebuild some pride, we may even do well in the league trophy, but it won’t put it right !

And what part of my reply to your post "is so dificult to understand?" Saturday's FA Cup defeat is history now.Tomorrow's game gives us an early chance to make amends for it.

(Don't be so literal.You know very well what I meant).

And what part of my reply to your post "is so dificult to understand?" Saturday's FA Cup defeat is history now.Tomorrow's game gives us an early chance to make amends for it.

(Don't be so literal.You know very well what I meant).

In fairness TUIB, if we make the Wembley final, we will only take 900 at most :winking:, as no one is interested in this cup, yet still bang on about it

I'll be going as its Sarfend and any match ,cup game, final will always interest me, regardless if pointless. Too many season have passed when mid table mediocrity was the norm, yet still went

Wonder how many were around in them days, when survival was a plus when in the depths of the old Division 4, too many people have been spoilt by the success over the past years

UTS

In fairness TUIB, if we make the Wembley final, we will only take 900 at most :winking:, as no one is interested in this cup, yet still bang on about it

I'll be going as its Sarfend and any match ,cup game, final will always interest me, regardless if pointless. Too many season have passed when mid table mediocrity was the norm, yet still went

Wonder how many were around in them days, when survival was a plus when in the depths of the old Division 4, too many people have been spoilt by the success over the past years

UTS

Exactly, too many watch Premiersh*** games, play virtual games on their computers and think this is the norm. As the Stones so succinctly put it "You Don't Always Get What You Want"

Back