• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Fans (so called) slagging off our own players

After I sent I thought 25 games was perhaps too many but to panic after 5 games seems irrational. After all we would be a maximum of 14 points behind with 41 games to go, or with 123 points to play for.

Yesterday was one of the worst performances I've seen for a while (and some last season weren't great but were still better than yesterday) but I still think it is too early to make a call on how we will do this season.

I'm honestly wondering though, are our problems time related i.e. because our team isn't settled/ Sturrock isn't playing his best XI/ tactics are wrong but after a period of time it will fall into place....

OR, is it because majority/some of the squad are not upto it?

I don't claim to be a footballing expert, but i'm sure the majority of people can work out who's got it and who hasn't after 5 games.

Yesterday to me, wasn't about settled etc, but more about little but constant mistakes, i.e. bad touch, panicking, no composure, weakness. No matter how settled a side are, if you're constantly making these kind of schoolboy errors, then you'll get crucified.

I'm honestly wondering though, are our problems time related i.e. because our team isn't settled/ Sturrock isn't playing his best XI/ tactics are wrong but after a period of time it will fall into place....

OR, is it because majority/some of the squad are not upto it?

I don't claim to be a footballing expert, but i'm sure the majority of people can work out who's got it and who hasn't after 5 games.

Yesterday to me, wasn't about settled etc, but more about little but constant mistakes, i.e. bad touch, panicking, no composure, weakness. No matter how settled a side are, if you're constantly making these kind of schoolboy errors, then you'll get crucified.

As I have said elsewhere...the players we have bar a few were probably on the scrapheap before Luggy picked them from it....there is no skill, no idea, and they just fill shirts. IMO no way in a million years will he ever develop a team with the current bunch.SUFC ? I don't recognise it any more.

As I have said elsewhere...the players we have bar a few were probably on the scrapheap before Luggy picked them from it....there is no skill, no idea, and they just fill shirts. IMO no way in a million years will he ever develop a team with the current bunch.SUFC ? I don't recognise it any more.

Out of interest, what players would you say are here to "just fill shirts"?

As terrible as yesterday was, Over the course of the four competitive games we've had under Sturrock I can't say that I've thought a single player is utterly useless...

Out of interest, what players would you say are here to "just fill shirts"?

As terrible as yesterday was, Over the course of the four competitive games we've had under Sturrock I can't say that I've thought a single player is utterly useless...

All of them apart from Morris, Grant and Paterson.

Very true, who else would come here with our record of not paying on time and being treated like dirt, I agree these players are mostly the bottom of the barrel.

All of them apart from Morris, Grant and Patterson.

Well, I'm sorry, but in my opinion that's incredibly harsh on a number of players who, up until yesterday, looked to be useful acquisitions. We'll ignore Barker as he's on loan, but Clohessy, Easton, Simpson, Corr, Prosser and Zaaboub have all shown glimpses of ability to work with. Yes, it was a nightmare yesterday, but to judge them on the back of one dreadful performance is just as reckless as waxing lyrical about them following their excellent showing against Bristol.

Like I said earlier in the thread, we have four tough league games in succession now and if we're to have any chance of encouraging a good team spirit here, we need to get right behind the team while they're giving it their all.

Well, I'm sorry, but in my opinion that's incredibly harsh on a number of players who, up until yesterday, looked to be useful acquisitions. We'll ignore Barker as he's on loan, but Clohessy, Easton, Simpson, Corr, Prosser and Zaaboub have all shown glimpses of ability to work with. Yes, it was a nightmare yesterday, but to judge them on the back of one dreadful performance is just as reckless as waxing lyrical about them following their excellent showing against Bristol.

Like I said earlier in the thread, we have four tough league games in succession now and if we're to have any chance of encouraging a good team spirit here, we need to get right behind the team while they're giving it their all.

Would you employ somebody that only showed "glimpses" of ability to work?

Would you employ somebody that only showed "glimpses" of ability to work?

For a football team in the basement tier of the League? Yes, because if they showed anymore then they either wouldn't be willing to play here or they'd be asking for too much to do so...

Sturrock spoke an awful lot of sense in his post-match interview yesterday, drawing on the possible over reaction to the Brizzle game and yesterday's result against a title contender being a reality check. No, we probably don't have what it takes to battle for promotion this season, but those who expected us to were asking for too much. We have the basis of an average-to-good squad at this level that needs to be honed and drilled into one, with the fitness, familiarity and confidence, to contend.

This will take time, and we just have to be patient.

I sit in the West stand, but my son and friends sit in the South Upper.

All commented in the car on the way home about three guys who spent 75 minutes slagging off our own players (who could easily hear what was being said) and then left.

If they are here on this forum I would like to ask them; why the hell do you bother to go to the game if all they want to do is demoralise our own players?

Yes we were crap today, we all know it including the palyers, but why not just get off the players backs and try to motivate them instaed rather than making it worse?

Plus there were two idiots who were hurling racial abuse at the black players, and I think you morons should be ashamed of yourselves and banned for life!!

Rant over

i disagree, people pay good money to watch Southend Utd so in my opionion are allowed to choose whether to boo, cheer, abuse etc. racial remarks on the other hand has no place in football what so ever.

Choices Rich? you were lucky to miss the debacle of yesterday , otherwise mate I think you would feel differently.

We had less than a month to build a squad before the season started, and we weren't exactly in a position to pick and choose were we?

We had less than a month to build a squad before the season started, and we weren't exactly in a position to pick and choose were we?

So are we stuck with these players for a whole season then? If so then we are going to struggle both on the pitch and also off it financially as the crowds will stay away if that is the kind of dross we have to watch this season. P1ss poor

So are we stuck with these players for a whole season then? If so then we are going to struggle both on the pitch and also off it financially as the crowds will stay away if that is the kind of dross we have to watch this season. P1ss poor

Did I say that? I'm not defending anyone its just i'm not really sure what people expected after the upheaval in the summer!

Sturrock is obviously still trying to find the right combinations and i'm sure we will see more players coming in, I think its going to be a long hard season though.

Did I say that? I'm not defending anyone its just i'm not really sure what people expected after the upheaval in the summer!

Sturrock is obviously still trying to find the right combinations and i'm sure we will see more players coming in, I think its going to be a long hard season though.

The most he can hope for is 2 pair with these players mate.

Seeing as our beloved chairman said that we would have one of the highest wage bills in the league its strange to see the quality that we have brought in is it not?

Very true, who else would come here with our record of not paying on time and being treated like dirt, I agree these players are mostly the bottom of the barrel.

They are most definately bottom of the barrel that is why they were signed so easily on free transfers, with the exception of Morris who in my opinion is a decent keeper.

The point about the players not applauding the fans hits the nail on the head. At least after every game Tilly and Brush joined most players in going around the pitch. That is one way in which Sturrock and the players can get through to the fans and it would not cost a penny!

UTB
Up The Shrimpers

Exactly what I was getting at, Paul.

They don't know us and we don't know them and we need to get to know each other and a gesture that, as you so rightly say, costs nothing but a couple of minutes of their time will go a long, long way, certainly in this Shrimpers heart.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but you were one of the 'Tilly out', people? After yesterdays waste of time, doesn't it make you appreciate Tilly a little bit? At least he tried to play football. All we've seen today is kick and rush. Maybe after 3/4+ years of watching hoofball, you'll pray for a manager like Tilly again?

This was said many times last season. Thw writing was on the wall then and it is now IMO.

Only something special will lift us this season

Yes I was! Lets be honest, the football under Tilson in the last few seasons was hardly samba stuff was it? Last season in particular was awful - and yes, I know there were contributing factors, but we've played much better football under Webb and Fry and that holds about as much relevence to Sturrocks team as it does to Tilsons last year given the changes.

We played some good stuff in the first couple of seasons, mainly due to having players that could entertain, the Gowers, Eastwoods, JCRs of this world - I think we have the signs of that in this side, with Zaaboub, Hall and I'm positive Easton is a better player than is being shown at the moment, but it is going to take time. Zaaboub and Hall are struggling for match fitness and the rest of the team are still virtual strangers. Give em a chance!

On the flip side, Sturrock knows how to get out of this division and whilst yes, Tilson's side did it with a bit of style with the players he had at his disposal, but would anyone here NOT take going up with a bit of kick and rush?

The only surprise for me Saturday is that we didnt match Vale's strength. They were a very strong side and it was one of the things Sturrock said we had to be in this division - and I thought with Phillips, Barker, Grant and Corr - we had the basis of a side there that could compete physically - but the decision to leave Phillips and Corr out against Vale was a surprise.

Sturrock is learning about this side as much as we are and as others have said, its going to take 10-12 games before we know anything like where we are at. By that time, I'd imagine the East Stand will be ablaze, the moaning West Bankers will be pulling up the goal posts and the Sturrock family will have a public crucificition on the centre spot...

I sit in the West stand, but my son and friends sit in the South Upper.

All commented in the car on the way home about three guys who spent 75 minutes slagging off our own players (who could easily hear what was being said) and then left.

If they are here on this forum I would like to ask them; why the hell do you bother to go to the game if all they want to do is demoralise our own players?

Yes we were crap today, we all know it including the palyers, but why not just get off the players backs and try to motivate them instaed rather than making it worse?

Plus there were two idiots who were hurling racial abuse at the black players, and I think you morons should be ashamed of yourselves and banned for life!!

Rant over

why wait till your home and safe behind a PC screen before saying something?
complete - FACT.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back