• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Film Remakes - Better or Worse

* ORM *

Still Loves Emma Bunton. Roy McDonough is God!
Flying the flag for SUFC in Sai Kung, Hong Kong
I suppose this could be better as a set of polls but posting in the Wilder thread got me thinking

Remakes that should never have happened
Willi Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
The Italian Job

Remakes that were better than the original
Total Recall
King Kong both 76 and 95 improved on previous

Remakes that should be made because the original flopped?

The Wicker Man, Day of the Jackal and Get Carter should never have been remade. Struggling to think of any remakes which surpass the original. TBH.

I haven't seen the new Total Recall but lets face it Orm, it's not going to be better is it? It doesn't star Arnie at the height of his powers.

Depends how far you want to go back..Cronenburg's The Fly is better than the original, Peter Jackson's Lord Of The Rings Trilogy is better than half finished animated version. The Coen's True Grit.

Can't believe they've remade Ben Hur. Bound to be toilet isn't it?

I haven't seen the new Total Recall but lets face it Orm, it's not going to be better is it? It doesn't star Arnie at the height of his powers.

Depends how far you want to go back..Cronenburg's The Fly is better than the original, Peter Jackson's Lord Of The Rings Trilogy is better than half finished animated version. The Coen's True Grit.

Can't believe they've remade Ben Hur. Bound to be toilet isn't it?
You get the like for the Fly. I love Arnie but the remake is better for me.

God forbid they ever remake Spartacus as a film, though the made for TV wasn't actually too shabby.

I'm trying to think of a film that had a good concept but was sadly let down by some of the cast. Four weddings and a Funeral with the Hugh Grant role played by someone that can act?

A Christmas Carol with Alistair Sim was never bettered. CGI and special effects wouldn't improve it either.

I just hope they don't remake Groundhog Day.

You get the like for the Fly. I love Arnie but the remake is better for me.

God forbid they ever remake Spartacus as a film, though the made for TV wasn't actually too shabby.

I'm trying to think of a film that had a good concept but was sadly let down by some of the cast. Four weddings and a Funeral with the Hugh Grant role played by someone that can act?

A Christmas Carol with Alistair Sim was never bettered. CGI and special effects wouldn't improve it either.

I just hope they don't remake Groundhog Day.

I like Hugh Grant - plays the part to a tee.

A Christmas Carol's best version is of course the Muppets' remake.

Groundhog Day i agree- although it has just been made into a musical, so...

Of course there are number of foreign language films that have been made into English language, most of them badly - the very average English Let Me In for the superb Swedish Let The Right One In for example, or dreadful The Vanishing for the incredible Spoorloos.

Of course there are number of foreign language films that have been made into English language - the very average English Let Me In for the superb Swedish Let The Right One In for example, or The Vanishing for the incredible Spoorloos.
Good shout - you can add Ring > The Ring to that list.

Different, yes, and not a bad film in itself, but unquestionably inferior IMHO.

Not seen Red Dragon - hard to believe it surpasses Manhunter though.

Not "unquestionably", but "subjectively". I like both - and both told the story well. :winking:

Red Dragon is great - amazing cast, amazing direction. But it's not Gil Grissom/Michael Mann/80s LA. Different interpretations.

I suppose this could be better as a set of polls but posting in the Wilder thread got me thinking

Remakes that should never have happened
Willi Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
The Italian Job

Remakes that were better than the original
Total Recall
King Kong both 76 and 95 improved on previous

Remakes that should be made because the original flopped?

The 'remake' of the Italian Job was not made out like it was a remake. They even say in the film lets do it like the Italian job. I quite enjoyed it and didn't compare it to the great classic.

Of course there are number of foreign language films that have been made into English language, most of them badly - the very average English Let Me In for the superb Swedish Let The Right One In for example, or dreadful The Vanishing for the incredible Spoorloos.

The Vanishing is a curious one as it is the same director for both but the remake is utter gash while the original is brilliant Hitchcock like.

The Vanishing is a curious one as it is the same director for both but the remake is utter gash while the original is brilliant Hitchcock like.

Absolutely.
  Spoiler:  
They had to make a nice happy ending for American audiences, obviously. The Dutch one is so gloriously bleak.

Going out on a limb here, but I preferred the remake of 'Planet of the Apes' to the original. Mainly because of this:

5232177186_ab6d11e15b.jpg

Back