• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The share buy back situation is going to be an interesting negotiation

When PB was given the shares we were in L2, meaning that the value must have increased since then, however they will surely rise if Fossets Farm gets the green light, so surely RM will want a quick resolution to avoid paying more?

I just hope the club is honest and fair with Phil, despite recent times we have a lot to be thankful for.

So currently we have no:-

Chief Executive Officer (Replacement for Steve Kavanagh and Steve Waggott)
Manager (Replacement for Phil Brown)
Assistant Manager (Replacement for Graham Coughlan)
Football Coordinator (Replacement for Brian Horton)
Head of Recruitment (Replacement of Bob Shaw)
A Mad Naughty Bad Arse Striker (Replacement Nile Ranger)
A Class Midfielder (Replacement for Ryan Leonard)
A Bench Warmer (Replacement for Jack Bridge)

Ron must be saving a fortune.

Is he down sizing?

Last edited:
But when you agree to pay at a certain time and there is a cost of reputation or integrity involved it's not good practice to miss the deadline.

Yes, but Ron's got plenty of previous with this tactic. I really cannot imagine his reputation/integrity count for a lot compared with a few quid in his pocket instead of PB's for as long as possible.

no, once the contract enters its final year then it becomes a straightforward pay off. In this case 6 months. The first £30,000 of any severance pay is tax free. For no other reason than to encourage an early settlement. Assuming PB pays 40% tax then this automatically saves him £12000.
And yes, I did mean the others.
I’m not saying it’s wtong as I know both about football manager contracts but Tgat makes no sense to me. He had not been sacked, his role has not been made redundant ( how could it), he is on gardening leave. In other professions where you have to give an employee notice but choose to put them on gardening leave the employer , SUFC in this case has an obligation to pay him weekly/ monthly ( however we normally pay him) up until the end of his contract. Why do we have an obligation to pay him in full now? At the moment if he got a job elsewhere we would only owe him his salary up to that point- NOT until the end of the contract .so why pay it all?

as to the shares I have no idea, however Ron made it very clear that they rewarded success, and Ron’s idea of successes is not our present league position, I know we were promoted by I would guess the price is heavily weighted towards being at least in the top six. Purely speculation of course

Gardening leave for Phil is a smart move as there is a decent chance a L1, L2 club might come calling for him in the next few months - if they do then technically they have to pay up his contract with us or settle

What are the financial implications of PB's shares. I heard he holds 35% but not sure how true that is. Can you hold shares at a club and manage another club. Would there be a conflict of interest if the teams played each other?

if I owe you a load of money and don't pay you for many many months you will pretty soon settle for a percentage of the total owed...

getting the full amount back paid in full will cost you loads and loads of legal fees.

not nice but effective -

No. You don't settle for less, you take them to court. You WILL win and all legal costs will be paid by the people you are claiming against. I had to do that to get my money out of SUFC and I got every penny and costs. It's quite straightforward.

Gardening leave for Phil is a smart move as there is a decent chance a L1, L2 club might come calling for him in the next few months - if they do then technically they have to pay up his contract with us or settle

I think you'll find that when someone else is employed as Manager PB is technically "dismissed" and he can go wherever he wants.

if I owe you a load of money and don't pay you for many many months you will pretty soon settle for a percentage of the total owed...

getting the full amount back paid in full will cost you loads and loads of legal fees.

not nice but effective -

No. You don't settle for less, you take them to court. You WILL win and all legal costs will be paid by the people you are claiming against. I had to do that to get my money out of SUFC and I got every penny and costs. It's quite straightforward.

So currently we have no:-

Chief Executive Officer (Replacement for Steve Kavanagh and Steve Waggott)
Manager (Replacement for Phil Brown)
Assistant Manager (Replacement for Graham Coughlan)
Football Coordinator (Replacement for Brian Horton)
Head of Recruitment (Replacement of Bob Shaw)
A Mad Naughty Bad Arse Striker (Replacement Nile Ranger)
A Class Midfielder (Replacement for Ryan Leonard)
A Bench Warmer (Replacement for Jack Bridge)

The size of that list (especially if you add injured players to it) looks truly frightening. :sad:

There is an article on Sky news about Hartlepool. They may not be able to pay players this month and face administration. They have even been helped out by Middlesbrough fans turning up yesterday.

When we went down in 2010 along with Stockport. The 'Monkey Hangers' stayed up on goal difference and just above them were Tranmere. Orient (pre big spending owners) and Bristol R were also in L1.

Makes you think Ron, Luggy and PB didn't do to bad in the grand scheme of things.

Ummm - was it a substantial sum.. ?

How long did it take ?

I don't know anyone in business who finds it recovering monies owed "straight forward"

Certainly Barret and Tildons squad who would have PFA legals did not find ut quick easy or straightforward

There is an article on Sky news about Hartlepool. They may not be able to pay players this month and face administration. They have even been helped out by Middlesbrough fans turning up yesterday.

When we went down in 2010 along with Stockport. The 'Monkey Hangers' stayed up on goal difference and just above them were Tranmere. Orient (pre big spending owners) and Bristol R were also in L1.

Makes you think Ron, Luggy and PB didn't do to bad in the grand scheme of things.

Also unsuccessful in League One that year were Huddersfield, Southampton and Brighton. In the division below were Bournemouth.

Depends whether you want to measure yourself against the successes or failures.

We have clearly not reached the heights nor plumbed the depths and you can be disappointed that we have not done better, delighted that we've not done worse or happy to muddle along depending on levels of ambition.

Heavily funded successes, Mick.

Indeed. But they all had their financial challenges, especially Bournemouth. What they didn't have were owners without the wherewithal to progress, clinging to a 15 year old dream.

Hopefully that will change and we'll join the "successes", a bit of a leap of faith for many.

Agreed, but getting the right owners is a bit of a lottery and I'll wager that there are an many bad ownership cases, as good.

Be careful what we wish for, I guess.

Also unsuccessful in League One that year were Huddersfield, Southampton and Brighton. In the division below were Bournemouth.

Depends whether you want to measure yourself against the successes or failures.

We have clearly not reached the heights nor plumbed the depths and you can be disappointed that we have not done better, delighted that we've not done worse or happy to muddle along depending on levels of ambition.

First 3 have always been bigger clubs than us and with new stadiums were always going to leave us behind. Bournemouth have bought their success on the back of huge Russian investment. They were chosen by the Russians because of their geographical position and the fact that their are 480,000 people living within 10? miles or so.

Besides those clubs have only replaced the likes of Blackburn, Wigan, Pompey and Blackpool. Once again all the clubs in our current financial positon can't compete.

Some on here try to claim kudos for having so called ambition, or even higher standards over the rest of us. The only possible way we could sustain ourselves even at Championship level won't until the arrival of FF. That's nothing to do with leaps of faith just the harsh facts of the football world.

Once some of you realise that and drop the 'season wasted' mentality, then we can all enjoy the last years of RH.

First 3 have always been bigger clubs than us and with new stadiums were always going to leave us behind. Bournemouth have bought their success on the back of huge Russian investment. They were chosen by the Russians because of their geographical position and the fact that their are 480,000 people living within 10? miles or so.

Besides those clubs have only replaced the likes of Blackburn, Wigan, Pompey and Blackpool. Once again all the clubs in our current financial positon can't compete.

Some on here try to claim kudos for having so called ambition, or even higher standards over the rest of us. The only possible way we could sustain ourselves even at Championship level won't until the arrival of FF. That's nothing to do with leaps of faith just the harsh facts of the football world.

Once some of you realise that and drop the 'season wasted' mentality, then we can all enjoy the last years of RH.

Was that Browns plan then to make sure we didn't get promoted? If that's the case, he went above and beyond as he's left us on the cusp of a relegation place.

3 cheers for Phil Brown

I do tend to agree with Rigsby we are a mid table 3rd division club anything above that we are overachieving below that under.
F.F. if it comes off, is when we can really have higher goals, before that well lets wait, as it would end in tears again.
Our longish spell and very short one in the Championship were wonderfull, but each time did the club pay or it, and but for Sturrock, we could easily be where Stockport are now not even in the 5th Division.
I thought we had a team and I mean a team not squad, to challenge this year for at least the play off's.
However Tango luck ran out, and I think the timing of his sacking is spot on. Its look forward now and a season to make sure we stay at this level, which wont be easy. Thanks Phil your time in charge will be looked at as above average improvement every season except this one, you cant and should not answer or much more than that.

Dobriyden ... and may I say just how wonderful the Russian people are and how much I love your Great cities, St Basils Cathedral, Kremlin and Red Square, The Palace, eternal flame and the Botanical gardens, Vodka, the Bolshei, the stunning underground, only just beaten by the magnificence of the Venice of the East, St. Petersburg being one of the most astonishing cities on earth, that I am so pleased to have visited
Here in what used to be known as Eastseaxe ( East Saxons ) we have a mammoth population surrounding us of 1.802m ( last count 2016 ) absolutely perfect for your dreams of laundering money and taking a lowish level football club to the Premiership , please help, come and visit Basildon for example:winking:

Back