• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

First away game - thoughts?

Shr1mperBlue

Striker
Hello chaps
Now that my lad is getting a bit older we quite fancy trying a few away games. Does anyone have suggestions on where would be a sensible place to start? Obvs don’t fancy anything too potent to start with (think Daggers away, for example), but somewhere friendly. While we’ve been regulars at Roots Hall for a while now, neither of us have done an away game. Be good to try it out.

Speaking of away fans, bumped into two Oldham fans at the end of the pier today while waiting for the return train. I was wearing my new Southend hoodie and him his Oldham jacket. Noticed each other at same time so I asked him if he enjoyed the game yesterday 🤣😂. Took it in good humour and we had a nice little chat while waiting. Good to see they turned it into a weekend away and spent some money in the local area while here. Nice chaps. Wished them luck for the season ahead.

Hello chaps
Now that my lad is getting a bit older we quite fancy trying a few away games. Does anyone have suggestions on where would be a sensible place to start? Obvs don’t fancy anything too potent to start with (think Daggers away, for example), but somewhere friendly. While we’ve been regulars at Roots Hall for a while now, neither of us have done an away game. Be good to try it out.

Speaking of away fans, bumped into two Oldham fans at the end of the pier today while waiting for the return train. I was wearing my new Southend hoodie and him his Oldham jacket. Noticed each other at same time so I asked him if he enjoyed the game yesterday 🤣😂. Took it in good humour and we had a nice little chat while waiting. Good to see they turned it into a weekend away and spent some money in the local area while here. Nice chaps. Wished them luck for the season ahead.
York. Stunning city snd for me one of my favourite away days last season

Hello chaps

Yeah, avoid Dagenham. It’s a pity: a few years back it would have been ideal.

Assuming you want somewhere localish then any of Barnet/Bromley/Boreham Wood/Maidenhead/Wealdstone/Woking would be fine. Dorking too but that’s a Tuesday night.

If he’s not old enough to stand for 90 minutes that gets a bit trickier and it’ll probably have to be Barnet or Woking.

Barnet must be the perfect away game for a youngster and Dad, loads and loads of Shrimpers,great atmosphere and brilliant ground and facilities,enjoy.

I wouldn't write off Dagenham. Its the easiest to get to and it will be great view and atmosphere for your lad. When you go in sit to the left (as you look from the pitch). That way you can avoid the Stone island boys who will be giving it to each other.

They have decent bars but also very good kiosks that are well signed and priced so every knows what they want so queues move much faster.

Rather than you regretting it, I'll wager your lad gets the away bug after a trip to Narm.

Last edited:
Thanks to those who responded. Appreciate that. Gives me a really good place to start. 👍👍. I’ll try and remember to post again once we’ve booked and sampled an away day in case others find it helpful.

Barnet must be the perfect away game for a youngster and Dad, loads and loads of Shrimpers,great atmosphere and brilliant ground and facilities,enjoy.
Took my 10 year old girl to Barnet for her first away game last season.
Safe to say she will never, ever forget it.
What a night.

York or Chesterfield are both decent grounds with seating if you need that, otherwise plenty of more local ones with standing. Ebbsfleet, Barnet and Bromley three of the closest.

Hello. So we’ve decided to do Barnet on 30th December. Have been having a look on the Barnet website, tickets not yet on sale. Any know how far in advance they’d normally come out? Thanks.

Hello chaps

Barnet is a perfect first away day for sure. Nice big-ish area for away fans, fairly modern stadium and not too far. Good luck!

Back