• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

First day fixtures?

I can confidently say that our first league game will definitely be against a League One team and will be either away or at home.

You heard it here first folks.

biggrin.gif

I'm so bored I just pretended to be Bert Millichip and did a draw at my desk with all 24 CCL1 teams and this is what I came up with...

Scunthorpe vs Hartlepool
Doncaster vs Huddersfield
Tranmere vs Port Vale
Barnsley vs Bradford
Swindon vs MK Dons
Oldham vs Swansea
Walsall vs Rotherham
Bristol City vs Gillingham
Col U vs Bournemouth
Notts Forest vs Brentford
Blackpool vs Chesterfield
SOUTHEND UNITED vs Yeovil

I'd be quite happy with that AND I bet I get more right than those 'leaked' first day fixtures.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was someone like Walsall away. We've had 2 opening day home games on the trot so we are due an awayday.

What "glamour" ties are there? Well, Col U, Gillingham and Brentford will almost certainly be either Xmas, New Year, Easter or midweek night games.

Who does that leave?

Well, Bournemouth and MK Dons are within 2 - 2.5 hours or so... otherwise we are looking at Wales and the West (Swansea, Yeovil, Swindon and Bristol City) with the majority of teams being north of Watford.

So, using probability, the odds are on us being away to one of the 14 "Northern" teams in league one on the opening day. And the only decent Northern team that would be exciting to go to, IMHO, is Forest.

Although I'm not a bookie, I guess the odds on us being away in the opening game are about 4/5 and at home about 5/4. The odds on us drawing one of the 3 "derby" teams at home are about 40/1, away about 30/1, with other teams at 25/1 home and 20/1 away. The odds on a Northern team away would be about 14/1 and Walsall will be the favourite at about 10/1 because it's been "leaked".

I know there are a couple of bookies that read the site... is that about right do you think?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ June 22 2005,14:57)]Although I'm not a bookie, I guess the odds on us being away in the opening game are about 4/5 and at home about 5/4.  
A bookie would price-up 5/6 or 8/11 each of two for a home or away match.

You most definitely would not get an odds against chance in what is basically a toss-of-the-coin job.

If someone offred you 5/4 against a heads in a heads or tails you would bite his hand off for a bet.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (C C Csiders @ June 22 2005,15:07)]If someone offred you 5/4 against a heads in a heads or tails you would bite his hand off for a bet.
but not the one he had the coin in otherwise the bet would be null and void
biggrin.gif

We've been at home 7 times in the last 9 seasons on the first day of the season, so some would say we're due an away game! Incidentally, we've only lost once on the opening day in the last 9 seasons, and that was last year!

04/05 Cheltenham (H) L 0-2
03/04 Cheltenham (H) W 2-0
02/03 Hull (A) D 2-2
01/02 Darlington (H) W 1-0
00/01 Brighton (H) W 2-0
99/00 Plymouth (H) W 2-1
98/99 Scarborough (A) W 2-1
97/98 Carlisle (H) D 1-1
96/97 Tranmere (H) D 1-1

smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (hexagon_sun @ June 22 2005,13:44)]I'm so bored I just pretended to be Bert Millichip and did a draw at my desk with all 24 CCL1 teams and this is what I came up with...

Scunthorpe vs Hartlepool
Tranmere vs Port Vale
Barnsley vs Bradford
Swindon vs MK Dons
Oldham vs Swansea
Walsall vs Rotherham
Col U vs Bournemouth

I'd be quite happy with that AND I bet I get more right than those 'leaked' first day fixtures.
when i pretended to be bert i got

Brentford v Hartlepool
Bournemouth v MK Dons
Chesterfield v Barnsley
Col U v Port Vale
Doncaster v Huddersfield
ghostface.gif

Oldham v Notts Forest
Rotherham v Walsall
Scunthorpe v Gillingham
Southend v Swansea
Swindon v Bradford
Tranmere v Bristol C
Yeovil v Blackpool

So there you have it.

Doncaster will be at home to huddersfield and Rotherham will be either home or away to Walsall.

Home to swansea would be alright as long as as we went 1-0 up inside the first 8 seconds.
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (southender @ June 22 2005,15:19)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (hexagon_sun @ June 22 2005,13:44)]I'm so bored I just pretended to be Bert Millichip and did a draw at my desk with all 24 CCL1 teams and this is what I came up with...

Scunthorpe vs Hartlepool
Tranmere vs Port Vale
Barnsley vs Bradford
Swindon vs MK Dons
Oldham vs Swansea
Walsall vs Rotherham
Col U vs Bournemouth

when i pretended to be bert i got

Brentford v Hartlepool
Bournemouth v MK Dons
Chesterfield v Barnsley
Col U v Port Vale
Doncaster v Huddersfield
ghostface.gif

Oldham v Notts Forest
Rotherham v Walsall
Scunthorpe v Gillingham
Southend v Swansea
Swindon v Bradford
Tranmere v Bristol C
Yeovil v Blackpool

So there you have it.

Doncaster will be at home to huddersfield and Rotherham will be either home or away to Walsall.

Home to swansea would be alright as long as as we went 1-0 up inside the first 8 seconds.
biggrin.gif
All this pretending to be bert reminds me of the time Bert and probably Graham Kelly drew the first round of the FA Cup, back in the days they did the first round on a Monday, and it was split into North and South, and just as they got to the end they had to re-draw the whole lot as one of the Southern ties they drew was Bristol Rovers vs. Darlington!
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (C C Csiders @ June 22 2005,15:27)]All this pretending to be bert reminds me of the time Bert and probably Graham Kelly drew the first round of the FA Cup, back in the days they did the first round on a Monday, and it was split into North and South, and just as they got to the end they had to re-draw the whole lot as one of the Southern ties they drew was Bristol Rovers vs. Darlington!
smile.gif
Graham Kelly. He was a miserable git. Did anyone ever see him smile
rock.gif

it's a bit like that bloke that had his picture on here the other day with freddy eastwood. miserable sod
biggrin.gif

Opening Day Fixtures

Blackpool vs MK Dons
Bournemouth vs C********r United
Bradford City vs Yeovil Town
Brentford vs Scunthorpe United
Chesterfield vs Huddersfield town
Doncaster Rovers vs Swansea City
Gillingham vs Bristol City
Hartlepool United vs Port Vale
Nottingham Forest vs Oldham Athletic
Swindon Town vs Southend United
Tranmere Rovers vs Rotherham United
Walsall vs Barnsley

As predicted by Football Manager 2005.

Don't really mind who we get, so long as it's not too far away. Long journeys are not welcome in the summer months! Therefore Col U, Franchise FC, Brentford or Gillingham would be nice!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Artful Shrimper @ June 22 2005,16:13)]I predict we get Scunthorpe at home....

What about the time Shrimperzone server crashes? I reckon about 10:15....
tounge.gif
9.50am.

wink.gif

Back