• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The home game of the 89/90 season beat bolton 2 nil first time i got ****ed after two pints oh happy days

1967 last home game of the season was against Stockport who were already promoted. We lost 1-0 but was hocked. Remember stood in the corner of the north bank where the pack stood and was terrified of the big boys with their doctor martin boots up their legs
Have missed 9 home games since mainly due to the 1980 season when I fell in love and had a choice of her or Southend most Saturdays and lust won.

is it wrong i have no idea of who we played or result or anything it was 83 or 84 been hooked ever since
No, though my memory precedes yours' by about 20 years! I remember Billy Best, Gary Moore and Chris Guthrie but my most favourite memories surround the early Dave Smith years.

Tue 18 April 1989 V Brentford @ Roots Hall. Drew 1-1 with Steve Tilson scoring for us in front of 4,119. We were relegated to Div 4 four weeks later. I don't remember too much about the game except for the banter in the north bank.

On a sunny spring Friday in 1968, my brothers did take me onto the South Bank to see our game v Workington. I was rather spoilt that evening. We won 7-0 and I've had to scale down my expectations ever since.

I recall Eddie Clayton made his home debut and also scored. Think the crowd was around 13,000.

The home game of the 89/90 season beat bolton 2 nil first time i got ****ed after two pints oh happy days

If memory serves me right, when the final whistle blew, all the Bolton 'herberts' ran across the pitch from the south bank to get at our lads?

Bolton was the first match of the 88/89 season. Crowd was only 4000 but probably about 150+ Bolton lads ran onto the pitch to try and take the North Bank they were stopped in their tracks by a few Southend fans and it was no more than about 10 Southend fans including Ginger & Brains who held the whole lot of them back. I think they were suprised that they met any resistance and their disorganised attack failed.

Tue 18 April 1989 V Brentford @ Roots Hall. Drew 1-1 with Steve Tilson scoring for us in front of 4,119. We were relegated to Div 4 four weeks later. I don't remember too much about the game except for the banter in the north bank.

It was our first game after Hillsborough and (surprise) there was a minute's silence before the game with the players stood around the centre circle. It was a balmy evening and we were confident of a win having had a convincing victory over Reading the previous Friday night which took us out of the drop zone. Unfortunately though, Brentford scored first and we were chasing the game. Tilly scored a smart diving header at the far post to equalise, but we just couldn't get those extra points that would ultimately have kept us up.

Bolton was the first match of the 88/89 season. Crowd was only 4000 but probably about 150+ Bolton lads ran onto the pitch to try and take the North Bank they were stopped in their tracks by a few Southend fans and it was no more than about 10 Southend fans including Ginger & Brains who held the whole lot of them back. I think they were suprised that they met any resistance and their disorganised attack failed.

I was sitting in the East blues, I seem to remember some Bolton actually getting in the North Bank? Could be time clouding the memory mind.

Saturday 25th February 1995

Southend United 0-1 Sunderland

I think it was Steve Thompsons 1st game in charge in his Caretaker role with Ronnie Whelan alongside him.

I was sitting in the East blues, I seem to remember some Bolton actually getting in the North Bank? Could be time clouding the memory mind.

I was in the North Bank & I can't remember any Bolton getting in there. Mind you some might have done and not done anything because there was no fighting in the actual North Bank it was all on the pitch. There is some footage of this incident on one of those football hooligan videos, although I have never seen it.

Nice one Ozzy. There we go Bolton fans never made it into the North Bank, pity you cant see more of the Southend fans that held them up, I can remember Brains swinging his arms like a windmill. At 47secs in that video you can see one of the Southend fans running towards the Bolton, I have no idea who that is.

Looks like BarnaBlue.

:joke:

It was our first game after Hillsborough and (surprise) there was a minute's silence before the game with the players stood around the centre circle. It was a balmy evening and we were confident of a win having had a convincing victory over Reading the previous Friday night which took us out of the drop zone. Unfortunately though, Brentford scored first and we were chasing the game. Tilly scored a smart diving header at the far post to equalise, but we just couldn't get those extra points that would ultimately have kept us up.

I remember it being just after Hillsborough. My Dad wanted to take us along to show us that watching football isn't a dangerous thing to do, My mum wasn't too keen though!

Back