• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Food and Beverages at RH

Quality or Speed

• Quality of product

Votes: 99 90.0%
  • Speed it takes to receive product

Votes: 18 16.4%

• Total voters
And also football isn't so long that you can have the captive audience. Two hours isn't very long to go without something to eat. There may be more opportunities to sell food at evening games where perhaps people come straight from work, but on a Saturday 3pm ko it is in between regular meal times. Most people are in the ground by 2:55 and leave within 5 mins of the end.
And, that for me, is the time to sell snacks. I WAS one of those girls who used to walk round with the trays of sweets - people bought loads!

I never have a problem with the burgers in the West Stand, we don't always have one but when we do they've been fine. Might be that they're fresher when we get to have them usually just on kick off, as the pre-prepared ones have gone - I don't know.

What I do know is that the average spend per person at RH, at just over £1 per head, is something that needs to go up to give us a decent income and to get that to go up, obviously more people need to be attracted to buy things. If that's down to quality, then it has to improve.
I believe that the target spend is £5 per person 🧍

I believe that the target spend is £5 per person 🧍
Is it? I don't think there's many clubs in the country that hit that - I believe, from what Tom Lawrence told us recently, that only Spurs are higher than that, with Brighton next best at £4 odd.

And also football isn't so long that you can have the captive audience. Two hours isn't very long to go without something to eat. There may be more opportunities to sell food at evening games where perhaps people come straight from work, but on a Saturday 3pm ko it is in between regular meal times. Most people are in the ground by 2:55 and leave within 5 mins of the end.

Lots of people don't just turn up at KO and leave at the final whistle.

It's meeting up hours before with mates and going out after.

If there were better beer and food options at the club I'd likely spend money.

But the queues are terrible. The food is terrible and the service is terrible (better of late).

Until that changes, I wont be spending much if any money at the club.

The new rollover hotdogs are okay, pies are like the earth, crust with boiling hot magma in the middle!! The hot drinks make boiling water look like an ice bath, and the burgers seem to be RM encouraging cannibalism, with rat meat!

And here's the sugar on the cream: By the time you've taken every grain of sand on earth one by one, put it in the ocean, taken it back out again, the queue would have moved 1 inch!

My solution would be to have vendors with prepared food on a tray strapped to them, like the ones you see at American baseball games, etc.

Lots of people don't just turn up at KO and leave at the final whistle.

It's meeting up hours before with mates and going out after.

If there were better beer and food options at the club I'd likely spend money.

But the queues are terrible. The food is terrible and the service is terrible (better of late).

Until that changes, I wont be spending much if any money at the club.
I have a pre match drink in the East stands Groundsman Arms and I've never had sn issue with queues or service. The lady that serves is there pretty much most games and seems to know the regulars etc

A couple of cans of a local brewery (Leigh Brewery etc) and I'd probably have a few more in there

No chance 😵‍💫
Just out of interest , what's the current price of a coffee and a pastie or even a pint ?

Apparently, 6,500 average gate (marvellous for NL ), ensures that the players get paid for the season.

KM and his staff is on top, and then there's all the backroom boys & girls....add to that ground / stadium maintenance and redevelopment and it's easy to see how most teams struggle to make ends meet.

8k + gates and average spend of £5 moves the profit/loss substantially.
It is a long journey but upgrade the East Stand to cater for functions, weddings, business meeting - cover the pitch in summer for concerts (take some of the Cliffs pavilion custom) - it'll be easy to undercut their drinks prices !!

Just out of interest , what's the current price of a coffee and a pastie or even a pint ?

Apparently, 6,500 average gate (marvellous for NL ), ensures that the players get paid for the season.

KM and his staff is on top, and then there's all the backroom boys & girls....add to that ground / stadium maintenance and redevelopment and it's easy to see how most teams struggle to make ends meet.

8k + gates and average spend of £5 moves the profit/loss substantially.
It is a long journey but upgrade the East Stand to cater for functions, weddings, business meeting - cover the pitch in summer for concerts (take some of the Cliffs pavilion custom) - it'll be easy to undercut their drinks prices !!

I think hot drinks are around £2 , pies about £4 and beer about £4.

I have a pre match drink in the East stands Groundsman Arms and I've never had sn issue with queues or service. The lady that serves is there pretty much most games and seems to know the regulars etc

A couple of cans of a local brewery (Leigh Brewery etc) and I'd probably have a few more in there

Its far more civilised in the East.

Up until recently, you couldn't even go in the west bar while the match was in play.

Had to wait until the half time whistle to get a pint and play usually resumes before you get the "no more service"

It's either pre order for half time or literally have no chance. Even the. I've been in the bar 20 mins before KO just to pre order and still didn't get to do so.

Lately they have been letting people in before half time and pre pouring to speed it up a little.

We've not been able to do that because of the licensing agreement with the main supplier. I believe this is one of the things they are looking into for the future.

After the recent pie horror stories thought it would be worth checking in on this thread to make sure everyone is okay after yesterday’s match?

I never have a problem with the burgers in the West Stand, we don't always have one but when we do they've been fine. Might be that they're fresher when we get to have them usually just on kick off, as the pre-prepared ones have gone - I don't know.

What I do know is that the average spend per person at RH, at just over £1 per head, is something that needs to go up to give us a decent income and to get that to go up, obviously more people need to be attracted to buy things. If that's down to quality, then it has to improve.
£1 PerCap is not that bad, I've seen worse and European PerCap is generally terrible but it can be bettered - maybe even look to achieve highs better than our peers, but kind of going back to the original point, the two main points need to be combined to succeed.

Now, that doesn't mean the quick wins can't happen. For example, the queue for a soft drink and a chocolate bar in the West. There's one person serving, which already is not that great, but why have the stock more than 5 feet away? Those 10 seconds to go and get the bits turns into a one minute delay per 6 customers.

Last game I was at in the West at least £10-£15 was lost because I couldn't get a drink or food I wanted, the queue just put me off.

I don't blame the staff, this is logistics and if handled by a totally competent 3rd party would be fine. But it's just like time stood still and no advancement is made. Almost like enough profit is made per event and therefore why push to make more?

Technology exists to fast pour, take pre orders etc. Would be great to see a competent partner found to make the matchday experience something that reflects the 21st century.

Fear not though, we're not alone by any means.

In the States, they would jail you for the fare served up at RH.
I've been to NFL and Major League Baseball in the US, and they serve food and beverage in style - and everything you could possibly think of.
At PNC Park, home of Pittsburgh Pirates there are 110 concession stands!
Yeah, you don't need that many at Roots Hall; yeah, there are more fans, and yeah, baseball is a longer game.
BUT the principle is the same: food and drink served in a sports stadium, which is a) tasty, b) hot where appropriate, and c) varied.
It's been a while since I bought anything at RH. If I'm that peckish, will head for the Fish House instead.
Quite right, but what you missed out is that the concessionaires bring the food and drinks TO YOUR SEATS.

Had a very nice pre-match burger & chips in Beaumont's on Vic Avenue yesterday. Would much rather have given that money to the club. I really do hope they sort out the food and service at Roots Hall over the summer.

Back