• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

If truth be known it's cos Phil Brown is so charismatic that he likes to be in the news every day.

He is a journalist's dream because he has never been known to say no comment. I was reading some old articles about him yesterday evening.

He reckons if he hadn't been sacked from Hull he would have kept them in the Premier League for 20 years.

He wants to clock up 1000 games as a manager - which is why he wasn't going to be anyone's assistant ( Sam at Sunderland and England).

He didn't get the Hartlepool job because he wanted to take Horton there as his assistant and they said they couldn't afford the two of them.

Don't forget he takes Horton everywhere with him , Hull, Preston - would Sunderland think that the Brown/Horton dream team to take them back to the Premier League if they managed to keep them put of League 1. I doubt it.

Oh and Michael Turner was one of the unlucky 11 to receive the half time talk on the pitch for Hull.

Didnt we supposedly have a "dream team " in charge around 25 years ago .... i seem to remember Bobby Houghton and someone else unveiled in a huge coup for the club .... was one of them from Sweden ? I dont think they lasted long !!!!! My memory is hazy of those days as it was a terrible era to be a Shrimper .....

Because in the 1,690 days he has been in charge at Southend he has never once done anything to suggest to me that he was capable of taking another side into the Premiership.

His team selections are often perverse, his substitutions and tactics often questionable, his man management has been strongly criticised as has been his commitment to the cause. Yes, he was in charge for the promotion from the lowest division by the very, very narrowest of margins and yes we appear stabilised at the next level. How has he achieved that ? I'm not sure; perhaps he is one of Napolean's proverbial lucky generals ?

You presumably think differently? What do you see as his strengths that will see him surpass his truly great success at Hull all those years ago ?

So are you telling us that EVERY team selection, EVERY tactic and EVERY substitution from PB has been poor!!!

What a load of rubbish; yes, some of those things can be questioned, but are you also suggesting that NJ has never made a mistake with these (or any manager for that matter)

With regards after match comments, and man management - have you witnessed this in person, or just your opinion from press etc?

Am I telling you that? I don't think so. Only if "often" means exactly the same as "EVERY", which I'm sure it doesn't.

Nor am I suggesting Nathan Jones hasn't made any mistakes in his management role. I merely stated that he was a manager, in my opinion, with his greatest success still to come, and that Phil Brown is a manager with his greatest (and quite formidable) success some way behind him. Surprised you find that quite so controversial.

In this modern world, I still find it remarkable that we have only had 3 managers in 14 years.

In that time, we've been promoted three times, beaten Man Utd amongst others and had a good increase in supporters through the gate.

Compare that to Sunderland and many other clubs, churning managers for fun on Premier League budgets and bigger crowds.

I know where I would rather be and PB has been part of that success story. :thumbsup:

In fairness to 'Jay'. I think he is referring to this post 'Mick' and not the one you linked :-

To be fair I didn't, I said I wasn't sure. Perhaps you can help me out? If we rule out team selection, tactics, substitutions, man management, inspirational after match comments, etc what are his big selling points?

Not saying you are wrong, there have been errors by PB in all those departments, but like any manager, there's also times that he has got all of the above 100% spot on.

Management success is all about percentages and if you can get a win ratio in the region of 40-60% you will generally be successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick
To be fair I didn't, I said I wasn't sure. Perhaps you can help me out? If we rule out team selection, tactics, substitutions, man management, inspirational after match comments, etc what are his big selling points?

TBF, He talks a very good game even in his pre-match comments.:winking:

He was due to attend our school yesterday but never showed up, so I assume he was signing the Sunderland contract :nope:

Simon Cox and Michael Kightly were in attendance though and seemed like nice blokes. Oh and I got on TV so I am famous now:Worthy:

He was due to attend our school yesterday but never showed up, so I assume he was signing the Sunderland contract :nope:

Simon Cox and Michael Kightly were in attendance though and seemed like nice blokes. Oh and I got on TV so I am famous now:Worthy:

Saw that this morning. Well done on the girls football thingy. :thumbsup:

Saw that this morning. Well done on the girls football thingy. :thumbsup:

Many thanks, I have only started at Beauchamps since September, they seem to do a lot for girls football and have a good link with Southend. Me and Simon had a chat and when both of us were at school, girls football just did not exist. Kightly nearly got killed by one of our students though with a powerful shot!

In fairness to 'Jay'. I think he is referring to this post 'Mick' and not the one you linked :-

Not saying you are wrong, there have been errors by PB in all those departments, but like any manager, there's also times that he has got all of the above 100% spot on.

Management success is all about percentages and if you can get a win ratio in the region of 40-60% you will generally be successful.

60% you will be very successful.

Our top managers by win ratio since I've been watching games are:

1. Steve Thompson
2. Barry Fry
3. Dave Webb
4. Alvan Williams
5. Paul Sturrock
6. Ernie Shepherd
7. Dave Smith
8. Phil Brown
9. Steve Tilson

(Alvan Williams was the big surprise there for me).

No surprises at the other end with Dick Bate bottom with Peter Morris not far above him !

1. Steve Thompson
2. Barry Fry
3. Dave Webb
4. Alvan Williams
5. Paul Sturrock
6. Ernie Shepherd
7. Dave Smith
8. Phil Brown
9. Steve Tilson

No surprises at the other end with Dick Bate bottom with Peter Morris not far above him !

Interesting to see actual games in charge , because as we know , Fry and Thompson both had shorter spells than others. I enjoyed the whirlwind period that Thommo was in charge, it's the most amazing turn around I've seen. Fry was different when he came in after Murphy he was fortunate to have Collymore !

1. Steve Thompson
2. Barry Fry
3. Dave Webb
4. Alvan Williams
5. Paul Sturrock
6. Ernie Shepherd
7. Dave Smith
8. Phil Brown
9. Steve Tilson

I found this on Steve Thompson.......
He took over as manager of Lincoln in November 1990, with Lincoln near the bottom of the Fourth Division. Under his leadership, Lincoln lost only three of the last 18 games that season and finished comfortably in mid-table, avoiding a second relegation to the Conference. He resigned in May 1993, with one game of the season remaining, after the Lincoln board had decided not to renew his contract.

After leaving Sincil Bank he then joined Kevin Keegan's coaching staff at Newcastle United before spending three months as assistant manager at Doncaster Rovers. From there he became Director of Football at Southend United, taking over as manager when Peter Taylor left with the club deep in relegation trouble. Thompson led them to 13th place at the end of the season and despite agreeing to stay at the club, left to join Colin Murphy as assistant manager at Notts County in June 1995 without having signed a contract.

County made the play-offs in their first season in charge, but struggled badly the following year in a season that would see the Magpies relegated to Division Three. Both Murphy and Thompson were sacked before the season finished. Thompson then joined Nigel Spackman's coaching staff at Sheffield United. However Spackman resigned in March 1998 and Thompson was made acting-manager. He guided the blades to the play-offs and the semi-finals of the FA Cup, but was replaced on 2 July 1998 by Steve Bruce.

In late December 2004 Thompson was appointed as manager of struggling League Two side Cambridge United, but was made redundant the following summer having failed to prevent Cambridge's relegation to the Conference.[3]

He then worked as a summariser for BBC Radio Lincolnshire. On 12 June 2006 he was appointed manager of Notts County on a three-year deal which was extended by one year in May 2007, the appointment was an unpopular decision among many County fans because of his association with the Colin Murphy era.[4] In spite of this, County initially showed signs of improving substantially in their first season under the new order, but struggled to maintain a consistent run of good form as the season drew to a close. Thompson was sacked at the start of the 2007–08 season after a poor start that saw the Magpies languishing near the bottom of the table.

Since leaving Notts County Thompson is yet to make a return in football within any capacity, however in the Summer of 2009, he went public with his interest for the Port Vale job – which later went to Micky Adams. He had previously lost out to the job in October 2007 to Lee Sinnott.[5]
He is now a summeriser on Lincoln City games on BBC radio.

It seems that if players believed in him he greatly improved results. I heard he took management and coaching at Southend very seriously and urged players to act professional at all times. He was a disciplinarian apparently. This obviously worked with the group of Southend, Lincoln and Sheffield United players.

1. Steve Thompson
2. Barry Fry
3. Dave Webb
4. Alvan Williams
5. Paul Sturrock
6. Ernie Shepherd
7. Dave Smith
8. Phil Brown
9. Steve Tilson

Good post 'Mick' and some great managers, there.

On the down side, along with Dick Bate and the like, we shouldn't forget Colin Murphy and Steve Wignall, of course.

Here's the matches stats 'TTS' :-

Steve Thompson - 57.14% (15 matches)
Barry Fry - 50.00% (30 matches)
Dave Webb - 43.65% (181 matches - I've not included the two short spells he came back for)
Alvan Williams - 41.94% (93 matches)
Paul Sturrock - 41.61% (161 matches)
Ernie Shepherd - 41.32% (121 matches)
Dave Smith - 40.38% (364 matches)
Phil Brown - 40.31% (196 matches)
Steve Tilson - 39.66% (358 matches)

All impressive records.

Tilly, Sturrock & PB have a combined 288 wins in 715 matches, so 40.28%, meaning over 14 years we have consistently topped 40%. Add 180 draws between them and that's an average of 1.46 points per game or 67 points a season. Comfortably top half of any table.

Kudos to RM for backing his managers.

Always have felt that Dave Smith never really got the 'kudos' that he deserved.

As can be seen, he had a better win ratio than PB over almost double the amount of games but if I recall correctly he had very little support from the boardroom.

It would be interesting however if these stats could be split out between divisions as a lower win ratio in the Championship is probably better than a high win ratio in League 2/Division 4.

Interesting to see actual games in charge , because as we know , Fry and Thompson both had shorter spells than others. I enjoyed the whirlwind period that Thommo was in charge, it's the most amazing turn around I've seen. Fry was different when he came in after Murphy he was fortunate to have Collymore !

Yep, the 'Thommo' period at the end of the season when Peter Taylor was dismissed was quite something.

He suddenly got the best out of Andy Thomson & Gary Jones just by changing up our style of play.

Good article 'Seventies', as well. I remember thinking it was a shame with 'Thommo' when he went to Notts County, as we were starting to play with a bit of belief and flair.

Good post 'Mick' and some great managers, there.

On the down side, along with Dick Bate and the like, we shouldn't forget Colin Murphy and Steve Wignall, of course.

Here's the matches stats 'TTS' :-

Steve Thompson - 57.14% (15 matches)
Barry Fry - 50.00% (30 matches)
Dave Webb - 43.65% (181 matches - I've not included the two short spells he came back for)
Alvan Williams - 41.94% (93 matches)
Paul Sturrock - 41.61% (161 matches)
Ernie Shepherd - 41.32% (121 matches)
Dave Smith - 40.38% (364 matches)
Phil Brown - 40.31% (196 matches)
Steve Tilson - 39.66% (358 matches)

All impressive records.

Tilly, Sturrock & PB have a combined 288 wins in 715 matches, so 40.28%, meaning over 14 years we have consistently topped 40%. Add 180 draws between them and that's an average of 1.46 points per game or 67 points a season. Comfortably top half of any table.

Kudos to RM for backing his managers.

Except for the relagations...

Always have felt that Dave Smith never really got the 'kudos' that he deserved.

As can be seen, he had a better win ratio than PB over almost double the amount of games but if I recall correctly he had very little support from the boardroom.

It would be interesting however if these stats could be split out between divisions as a lower win ratio in the Championship is probably better than a high win ratio in League 2/Division 4.

Yep, the figures probably would ideally be weighted 'Tampa'. This would give Tilly and Webby slightly better percentages if everyone was judged purely on Divisions 3 & 4.

Dave Smith did a great job. Watched a lot of matches, home and away, around this time. We were a good side. Very solid defence, lead by Alan Moody, of course.

Interestingly, with the exception of Webby, our two most successful periods as a club, we only had 5 managers in a combined total of 27 years. I know success breeds stability, so the two go hand in hand, but it also says that if you stay faithful to good managers and don't demand too much, you eventually reap the rewards.

Back