• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

A few thoughts;

Hearn put on a crap undercard, and was rightly boo'd. Unfortunately I think that's become the nature of the beast though now. I wish it was different, but Hearn simply couldn't care less.

AJ. I won't try & take too much away from him, he deserved that finish, which was incredible. That uppercut was destructive. However, Wlad gave him the chance. If Wlad had stepped on the gas in rounds 7-10, he could have stopped Joshua, as he still hadn't fully recovered from that knockdown in the 6th, and the tank was running on fumes. Wlad will always look back on those rounds & regret them, IMO. He took a gamble, and wanted to see the fight out, by nicking a points win. That backfired spectacularly. I said if AJ hadn't won in the early part of the fight, it was Wlad's to lose. And that's exactly what he did.

That being said, much respect to Wlad, who at 41-years of age & after 18 months inactivity, showed exactly why he's one of the ATG.

Despite the win, AJ can't escape criticism. The only way to get better and better, is to keep learning. The tank ran dry after the 6th, and again it was the feet welded to the mat, and his head glued to his shoulders. I know it's a learning process, but he needs to actually start grasping these very basic of things. Defensively, he still looks vulnerable. His attack was good though. It was an excellent finish to the fight, and he's progressing with new shots, and how to work the angles.

As for the rest of the current HW division... Parker may trouble AJ, as his speed is deadly.... For 5 rounds, until he gasses hard. Wilder gets starched with ease. This mandatory against Pulev is a waste of time, Povetkin might have been a decent challenger... If he wasn't currently banned for drugs. Luis Ortiz has seemingly lost any form he once had & now looks a completely different (useless) fighter. AJ is sitting pretty at the top of the mountain IMO, and won't be dethroned for a while.

And finally, Tyson Fury's performance against Wlad, just got made to look a whole lot better. Who knows, maybe 2-years down the line, the true, undefeated, undisputed lineal champ will return for what would probably be Britains biggest ever Boxing showdown.

Is exactly what I thought but the judges scorecards were 96-93 for two judges in favour of AJ and one in favour of Klitschko! I did say to my friends who were at mine watching the fight if this goes to the cards AJ will win even though Klitschko was up on the cards.

Yeah, it's a good thing it didn't actually go to the scorecards TBH, as it would have once again been an embarrassment for Matchroom. I don't know where hey get these judges from, but to have AJ winning 6 of the first 10 rounds either comes down to incompetence or corruption

I don't watch a lot of boxing, but last night we decided to pay the £19.95, and have an evening of it. Bloody glad we did!

Mate put £10 on AJ in the 8th, and courtesy of 3 £10 intro bets we also laid on AJ in the 6th and 7th, and WK in the 9th. Got that slightly wrong! Didn't spoil the enjoyment though, and was great to see two top heavyweights going for it.

Only two points I'd make, and would be interested to hear from Ricey and GBJ on the latter.

1/ AJs entrance. Way over the top, and when he was being raised on the platform between the flaming letters, a part of me hoped he'd get knocked out in the 1st round.

2/ The Quigg v Simion fight. Is it usual to have an English boxer, boxing in England, with an English referee, and a Brit, and two Americans scoring? Did feel that it was a huge disadvantage for Simion.

As I said, my knowledge of boxing is on a par with Mrs Blues football expertise. Probably most of what I know is from this thread!

I don't watch a lot of boxing, but last night we decided to pay the £19.95, and have an evening of it. Bloody glad we did!

Mate put £10 on AJ in the 8th, and courtesy of 3 £10 intro bets we also laid on AJ in the 6th and 7th, and WK in the 9th. Got that slightly wrong! Didn't spoil the enjoyment though, and was great to see two top heavyweights going for it.

Only two points I'd make, and would be interested to hear from Ricey and GBJ on the latter.

1/ AJs entrance. Way over the top, and when he was being raised on the platform between the flaming letters, a part of me hoped he'd get knocked out in the 1st round.

2/ The Quigg v Simion fight. Is it usual to have an English boxer, boxing in England, with an English referee, and a Brit, and two Americans scoring? Did feel that it was a huge disadvantage for Simion.

As I said, my knowledge of boxing is on a par with Mrs Blues football expertise. Probably most of what I know is from this thread!

Not really unusual TBH. Happens quite frequently.

When a fight is made, a list of available refs is drawn up, and the most suitable* ref for that matchup, is offered the job. That initial pick is normally accepted without any objections. However, If one, or both of the fighters (teams) doesn't want that specifc ref involved, then they have to provide proof that He isn't suitable for the job, which TBH, is a pretty rare thing. IIRC, Hatton made a case that he didn't want Joe Cortez reffing any of his future fights, due to his poor-handling of Hatton's bout with Mayweather.

*everything from experience to height/weight is considered.

I'm not 100% sure how it works here, but I know in Vegas fights, the judges (and ref) is appointed by the Nevada Commissioner personally. Judges here, IIRC, are selected in a similar process to the refs, although if the fight were a title fight, or a final eliminator, then the judges would have to be from the specifc organisation. So for a WBA title fight, a WBA registered judge(s) would be in control.

Really enjoyed that fight, everything you could hope for. Like I said before I like both fighters so what I was really after was a good fight and probably a Joshua win as he has the future ahead of him. I got exactly that!

I don't doubt what you guys say about Fury at his best like against Klitschko would beat Joshua but I don't agree with this "the true champ" stuff. To me a true great makes those sacrifices and gets themselves in shape to fight, to win the title and then make injury excuses and then the drugs and mental health issues (not saying mental health is an excuse btw) isn't a true champ because he's not making an attempt to defend the title. I certainly don't see him as the true champ and won't until he gets in the ring and beats whoever is champ. You can't just give up on the season when you are top of the league and claim to be the champions and refuse to play anyone else.

I don't doubt what you guys say about Fury at his best like against Klitschko would beat Joshua but I don't agree with this "the true champ" stuff. To me a true great makes those sacrifices and gets themselves in shape to fight, to win the title and then make injury excuses and then the drugs and mental health issues (not saying mental health is an excuse btw) isn't a true champ because he's not making an attempt to defend the title. I certainly don't see him as the true champ and won't until he gets in the ring and beats whoever is champ. You can't just give up on the season when you are top of the league and claim to be the champions and refuse to play anyone else.

You make a good point, and occasionally it is hard to justify Fury's actions post-Wlad.

It's worth remembering though, he was/is a young guy, who for the first time In his life, had the world at his feet, and millions in the bank. To add to that, His well documented mental health issues, especially his daily struggles with bi-polar, are of course a contributing factor. This was a guy in his mid-twenties, who had been constantly told he wasn't good enough. Constantly castigated & abused for his gypsy heritage, he'd had his short career (incl. his greatest achievement) mocked, and all of his hard work snatched away from him, due to "politics". Those factors are sure to take their toll, on an already weakened mentality

This guy achieved the impossible. He did, what nobody thought he could do. He pulled off one of the greatest victories in British Boxing history. Yet he is still mocked, and not given the credit he is due. When he beat Wlad, people claimed that it was because Wlad was past it, over the hill & finished. Yet, the same people watched AJ go life & death with an inactive, 18-month older version of Wlad & showered AJ with praise.

The simplified reason he's referred to as the proper champion, is because he is yet to be beaten. He claimed that throne, and was only removed through politics & personal struggles. Not through someone else being better than him.

IMHO, if he's in the same form as when he beat Wlad, there's no current fighter who topples him. Hence why, to me, he might not be the most glamorous champion, or the best role model. But he is the one true, undefeated champion

You make a good point, and occasionally it is hard to justify Fury's actions post-Wlad.

It's worth remembering though, he was/is a young guy, who for the first time In his life, had the world at his feet, and millions in the bank. To add to that, His well documented mental health issues, especially his daily struggles with bi-polar, are of course a contributing factor. This was a guy in his mid-twenties, who had been constantly told he wasn't good enough. Constantly castigated & abused for his gypsy heritage, he'd had his short career (incl. his greatest achievement) mocked, and all of his hard work snatched away from him, due to "politics". Those factors are sure to take their toll, on an already weakened mentality

This guy achieved the impossible. He did, what nobody thought he could do. He pulled off one of the greatest victories in British Boxing history. Yet he is still mocked, and not given the credit he is due. When he beat Wlad, people claimed that it was because Wlad was past it, over the hill & finished. Yet, the same people watched AJ go life & death with an inactive, 18-month older version of Wlad & showered AJ with praise.

The simplified reason he's referred to as the proper champion, is because he is yet to be beaten. He claimed that throne, and was only removed through politics & personal struggles. Not through someone else being better than him.

IMHO, if he's in the same form as when he beat Wlad, there's no current fighter who topples him.

Couldn't have put it better myself! If Fury had the stay humble vibes and 'clean' lifestyle that AJ has then people would give him the same attention. Because Fury is outspoken, wild and controversial he doesn't have the following from the casuals like AJ. I don't think his gypsy background helped him. Look at Eastwood dogged by abuse from everyone but Southend fans.

I like AJ and he had achieved a lot in a very short period and it was an impressive feat to come off the canvas to beat Klitschko. But for me Fury's win over Klitschko is streaks ahead of AJ's. It was in Klitschko's 'home' ground, he was the champion and had not been defeated for nearly 10 years. Everything was against Fury and he fought awkwardly and kept Wlad in his pocket for 12 rounds and frustrated the hell out of him. Wlad didn't look old, Fury made him look old!

AJ had everything on his side and fought a guy 18 months older. Wlad looked good but the question is was that because AJ's inexperience made him look good?

Fury is in my eyes the no.1 of the heavyweight division. He's losing weight as we speak training with BJS in Marbella. He sounds determined and hell bent on returning and getting those belts back. He is the real champion of the division and until someone beats him he will stay that way.

Also as a side note May 8th is apparently his hearing to find out if he will get a license with the BBBoC. I think with AJ calling him out the BBBoC would be silly not to give him his license. He also has 30 days from AJ's win to book a date for a fight otherwise AJ takes his Ring Magazine belt. That will go down like a lead balloon.

Couldn't have put it better myself! If Fury had the stay humble vibes and 'clean' lifestyle that AJ has then people would give him the same attention. Because Fury is outspoken, wild and controversial he doesn't have the following from the casuals like AJ. I don't think his gypsy background helped him. Look at Eastwood dogged by abuse from everyone but Southend fans.

I like AJ and he had achieved a lot in a very short period and it was an impressive feat to come off the canvas to beat Klitschko. But for me Fury's win over Klitschko is streaks ahead of AJ's. It was in Klitschko's 'home' ground, he was the champion and had not been defeated for nearly 10 years. Everything was against Fury and he fought awkwardly and kept Wlad in his pocket for 12 rounds and frustrated the hell out of him. Wlad didn't look old, Fury made him look old!

AJ had everything on his side and fought a guy 18 months older. Wlad looked good but the question is was that because AJ's inexperience made him look good?

Fury is in my eyes the no.1 of the heavyweight division. He's losing weight as we speak training with BJS in Marbella. He sounds determined and hell bent on returning and getting those belts back. He is the real champion of the division and until someone beats him he will stay that way.

Also as a side note May 8th is apparently his hearing to find out if he will get a license with the BBBoC. I think with AJ calling him out the BBBoC would be silly not to give him his license. He also has 30 days from AJ's win to book a date for a fight otherwise AJ takes his Ring Magazine belt. That will go down like a lead balloon.

I'm still a little sceptical that he can return the same as he once was.

Him losing the Ring belt will be slightly annoying I'd imagine, but pretty much expected. I'm sticking to the idea that there's no way he fights this year, unless it's in a totally uncompetitive match-up.

I'm still a little sceptical that he can return the same as he once was.

Him losing the Ring belt will be slightly annoying I'd imagine, but pretty much expected. I'm sticking to the idea that there's no way he fights this year, unless it's in a totally uncompetitive match-up.

He's still preaching that he will be back on the undercard of BJS fight on the 8th July.

He's still preaching that he will be back on the undercard of BJS fight on the 8th July.

I'll believe it when he steps through the ropes on fight night. Even if he took on a no-hoper, he's risking that crucial shot against AJ, for nothing. There's no rush him to return competitively. If I was Peter, I wouldn't be focussing on a Joshua fight until late 2018, if not summer 2019

You both make good points and I am in no way mocking his achievements, I agree that what he achieved was very impressive. Surely the mental side is all a part of being a great champion? Ability and talent only gets you so far, you could argue that had Paul Gascoigne had a stronger mentality that he could have been a greater player than Messi or Ronaldo but if you look at the stats and what they have a achieved there is no way you can argue Gascoigne is better. Messi and Ronaldo have the drive and make the sacrifices and that combined with their talent is why they are the best. Talent can get you fleeting fame and people will talk about Fury's title win and Gascoigne's impact at the 90 world cup, it's the dedication and sacrifice that sets apart talented guys from legends. If you watch a film like "I am Bolt" you truly appreciate the sacrifice the best make to be the best, until Fury does that he's not a champion, in my eyes anyway.

Like I've said before, I really enjoy reading this thread and you both know a hell of a lot about your boxing. Keep it up

You both make good points and I am in no way mocking his achievements, I agree that what he achieved was very impressive. Surely the mental side is all a part of being a great champion?

Absolutely. Nobody ever ascends the mountain without having that winners mentality, regardless of what sport they compete in. And Fury displayed that winners mentality to achieve his dream. He regularly battled against depression, bi-polar, predjudice and the doubters. You could argue he's got a stronger mind, for dealing with all those extenuating factors, and still managing to claim the throne.

Ability and talent only gets you so far, you could argue that had Paul Gascoigne had a stronger mentality that he could have been a greater player than Messi or Ronaldo but if you look at the stats and what they have a achieved there is no way you can argue Gascoigne is better. Messi and Ronaldo have the drive and make the sacrifices and that combined with their talent is why they are the best. Talent can get you fleeting fame and people will talk about Fury's title win and Gascoigne's impact at the 90 world cup, it's the dedication and sacrifice that sets apart talented guys from legends. If you watch a film like "I am Bolt" you truly appreciate the sacrifice the best make to be the best, until Fury does that he's not a champion, in my eyes anyway.

I think you're blurring the lines between having a strong winning mentality & a mental illness. Undoubtedly, what you've said above is correct. However, would it still be correct, if Messi/Ronaldo had suffered with the same mental health issues, and other extenuating circumstances, that Fury, or indeed Gascoigne had dealt with?

IMHO, I don't question Fury's desire to be the best. I don't question that's he's got that winners mentality in him. I'd suggest his long running mental health problems and unjustifiable character assassination have played a significant role in his downfall.

The way I prefer to look at it is, what kind of champion could he have been, if he'd been dealt the same hand as AJ, for example.

Joseph Parker currently labouring against his sparring partner. It's no surprise fighters are lining up to take his title. Very little defence means he's easy to hit, and his 'knockout' power just doesn't translate to half decent opponents. If this Raz threw more, he'd be causing Parker a lot of trouble. Hughie must be watching this and kicking himself. Although he'd probably injure himself doing it.

After a unanimous points decision against Chavez Jr last night the news we have all been waiting for came.

GGG vs Canelo is on!!! September 16th with the location to be announced.

It's the fight we all want to see and something that I thought was going to end up down the Mayweather vs Paq route. As in it was going to be 5 years too late!

If only I wasn't in the Falklands then I would try and get tickets to wherever it is.

Joseph Parker currently labouring against his sparring partner. It's no surprise fighters are lining up to take his title. Very little defence means he's easy to hit, and his 'knockout' power just doesn't translate to half decent opponents. If this Raz threw more, he'd be causing Parker a lot of trouble. Hughie must be watching this and kicking himself. Although he'd probably injure himself doing it.

Didnt see the fight yesterday, mainly because I forgot it was on so early, and judging by the reports, I have no interest to catch up on it.

Parker is a really odd case. He showed so much potential & class, but just hasn't evolved into that Elite Level fighter. He shows his class at times, with his blistering hand speed, but his movement is laboured & like AJ, does not move his head at all. Another one who's stamina isn't good aswell. I'd fancy Hughie to win in this, or a neutral country, but I can't see Parker losing too easily in NZ.

After a unanimous points decision against Chavez Jr last night the news we have all been waiting for came.

GGG vs Canelo is on!!! September 16th with the location to be announced.

It's the fight we all want to see and something that I thought was going to end up down the Mayweather vs Paq route. As in it was going to be 5 years too late!

If only I wasn't in the Falklands then I would try and get tickets to wherever it is.

Finally. Canelo couldn't run anymore. I've always liked Canelo, and thought he would be the man to dethrone Mayweather as P4P King, but he took that fight far too early in his career IMO.

Nonetheless he is a legit top P4P fighter ATM, and will prove to be Triple G's toughest opponent to date. My initial thought is, Golovkin edges a (split?) points win. I think they're fairly evenly matched, only way of splitting them is Golovkin has more firepower & movement, where Canelo has experience & youth on his side.

I just about give the advantage to Golovkin, but wouldn't be surprised if this went either way.

A lot going on in the Heavyweight division with our domestic fighters in the past couple of days.

First off two fights have been cancelled:

Chisora vs Helenius 2

and

Whyte vs Wach

First off Chisora vs Helenius 2 was called off with still no reason given. This also came on the same day that Whyte vs Wach was called off due to a 'hand injury' to Whyte. So you would think with it being said that he will return in July they will just reschedule the fight for then? Well that isn't happening all tickets have been refunded, a strange thing to do and something that Wach should surely challenge.

Now rumours have it that this has been done with Joseph Parker saying he is coming to the UK. Maybe Whyte or Chisora are chasing that belt? Well as it currently stands Hughie Fury is still the mandatory for Joseph Parker, Or is he?? I will get to that shortly. Also talks that Whyte vs Chisora 2 is going to happen! That would sell out the o2 as one can only assume a small number of tickets actually sold for the Whyte vs Wach fight.

Back to Parker there is a lot of activity on Twitter between him and Tony Bellew. And from what I am hearing it sounds like that is the next fight for both fighters.

Now to not only Tyson but Hughie too. Tyson has been training hard and has already dropped 22lbs whilst being out in Marbella with BJS. He returned to London for his hearing which was postponed. It has now come to light that both Tyson and Hughie have been charged on the 24th of June 2016 with presence of prohibited substance. This has completely put pay to Tyson's return on the BJS card on 8th July. It has also scuppered all chances of a reschedule of the Parker vs Fury fight. The hearing is set to happen at the end of the year if my sources stand correct.

Finally Mr Anthony Joshua. Now this one has annoyed me very much! Wlad has exercised his right to a rematch and I have heard that the IBF will allow Joshua to skip fighting his mandatory Kubet Pulev to have Joshua vs Klitschko 2. Now why has this annoyed me you ask? Lets take a little look back... It's 2016 Tyson Fury has just dethroned the king from his 10 year reign. In his contract it stated that if he wins Wlad is entitled to a rematch. So as you would expect the dethroned king exercises that right. The IBF then say NO! Tyson Fury must fight Glazkov. Tyson is stuck between a rock and a hard place its in his contract, its the more exciting fight and earns him more money. He has no option but to vacate the IBF belt, Glazkov gets injured in the fight against Charles Martin for the vacant belt. Martin fights Joshua and he becomes IBF world champ. Yes I get his has fought his mandatories so far but Tyson Fury had it in his contract surely they could've just let him take that one pass. No obviously they had a bigger ulterior motive and that was to get their cash cow and poster boy to get the title.

This weekend there is a good fight on Boxnation if you get a chance to wacth/stream. Gervonta Davis vs Liam Walsh, Davis is Mayweather Jr's new protege, he's a very young world champion and looks very decent. No offence to Walsh but I can't see him lasting the distance.

Also mega excited for next Saturday, off to Bramall Lane for Brook vs Spence, got a cracking undercard and should be a great main event. First boxing match inside a football stadium for me.

God just when I was starting to dislike David Haye a little less he is now talking about fighting in UFC!

Talks that he could fight on an undercard that would feature Mayweather vs McGregor as the main event.

That bloke will do anything for a quick buck!

Back