• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Giant Killing, Dragon Slaying and all that

Saafend

My stash is resting soundly on the Wet Hamsters - if we cannot score against Cambridge, Cheltenham & Rochdale it's gonna be a helluva struggle against West Ham even accounting for injuries.

WH may be pretty poor by Div 1 standards, but they should be too strong for us.

I may sound a little negative here, but we seem to be the only lower division side who never "raise their game for the big cup games" and don't use the cup as "a great leveller"...every other side have had one or two good wins, or at least given the big boys a decent game, we just get tonked whenever we play someone a couple of leagues above us.

Unless my memory is going, I cant remember a decent attempt at a Giant Killing in the League or FA Cups since the Spurs game in 1989, before that I remember good performances throughout the 70's & 80's against Div 1 & 2 clubs even when we were really struggling in the league (Derby & Liverpool spring to mind especially).

Why have we not done it since?

Is tonight where it all changes?
wow.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Saafend @ Aug. 24 2004,15:47)]My stash is resting soundly on the Wet Hamsters - if we cannot score against Cambridge, Cheltenham & Rochdale it's gonna be a helluva struggle against West Ham even accounting for injuries.

WH may be pretty poor by Div 1 standards, but they should be too strong for us.

I may sound a little negative here, but we seem to be the only lower division side who never "raise their game for the big cup games" and don't use the cup as "a great leveller"...every other side have had one or two good wins, or at least given the big boys a decent game, we just get tonked whenever we play someone a couple of leagues above us.

Unless my memory is going, I cant remember a decent attempt at a Giant Killing in the League or FA Cups since the Spurs game in 1989, before that I remember good performances throughout the 70's & 80's against Div 1 & 2 clubs even when we were really struggling in the league (Derby & Liverpool spring to mind especially).

Why have we not done it since?

Is tonight where it all changes?  
wow.gif
So the 3-0 v Lutons first team and the 4-0 against a full QPR side in last seasons LDV don't count then?

I know it's not one of the major cups but they still took it seriously enough to send the full team down. In fac t, Ian Holloway has described the QPR result as his most embarrassing moment in his career.

In fairness, we don't seem to get the draws against the big clubs in the first place. I remember playing Coventry off the park in the first leg at Highfield rd a few years back but losing 1-0 and then being tonked in the 2nd leg 4-0 at the Hall.

But when was the last time we had a BIG cup draw?

No QPR and Luton dont count - was going to mention that in my post, but thought it was obvious!

Whatever your view on the validity, benefit of the LDV trophy, it's not a "big competition" it's never been taken seriously by all clubs - QPR may well have sent their first team, but it's taking it a bit far to imagine the same thing would have happened had it been the 3rd round of the FA Cup....also neither Luton nor QPR were "a couple of leagues above us"..I personally would put those performances in the same bracket as the 3-2 win over Luton when they were taking Div 4 by storm (or whatever it was called then).

Good shout on Coventry away though, had forgotten about that one...also Brum away wasnt too bad, although the damage had been done already at Roots Hall!

We gave Everton a hell of a game at their place when we were in Div One - but typical Southend luck, we still lost 1-0
sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mad Cyril @ Aug. 24 2004,15:04)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ Aug. 24 2004,15:53)]But when was the last time we had a BIG cup draw?
Scarborough or Southend United v Chelsea, last season.
We were robbed!

sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ Aug. 24 2004,16:07)]We gave Everton a hell of a game at their place when we were in Div One - but typical Southend luck, we still lost 1-0
sad.gif
Not forgetting Sheff Wed and Southampton but typical of our luck at a time when we had a good team they were all away.....so my choice would be Spurs 1989 or West Ham in the late 70's or early 80's....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ Aug. 24 2004,16:07)]We gave Everton a hell of a game at their place when we were in Div One - but typical Southend luck, we still lost 1-0
sad.gif
We must of done ok , cos am i right in saying that Everton snapped up Brettie Angell not long after that?

I might well be wrong, but i remember really wanting to go to that game but was to young to go on own, and had no other way of getting there.
sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (HUMBLEPIE @ Aug. 24 2004,16:50)]West Ham in the late 70's or early 80's....
1979 League Cup Third Round. We took West Ham to two replays before they could finish us off ... and the 0-0 draw at Roots Hall in the first replay was watched by over 22,000 people, some 3,000 more than attended the Upton Park tie ...

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ Aug. 24 2004,17:33)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (HUMBLEPIE @ Aug. 24 2004,16:50)]West Ham in the late 70's or early 80's....
1979 League Cup Third Round. We took West Ham to two replays before they could finish us off ... and the 0-0 draw at Roots Hall in the first replay was watched by over 22,000 people, some 3,000 more than attended the Upton Park tie ...

WS
What happened to the other 10000 seats?
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Technician @ Aug. 24 2004,20:14)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jávea Shrimper @ Aug. 24 2004,17:33)]
[b said:

WS
What happened to the other 10000 seats?  
rock.gif
I have no idea. Maybe the Hammer fans simply weren't interested ...

WS

Back