• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Bluetonic

Banned
Why hasn't he been used? I know he's got supposed attitude problems, but this is a right back who tore up the championship at points last year, and still manages to have a contract with Arsenal, who are notorious for releasing young talent.

To drop someone after five games or whatever it was reeks of a poor move, especially as he had to adapt to more physical league one. I just think it's a complete waste that he's been sitting in the reserves for four months instead of at least being given a go. Even as an impact sub or something, he could have made a difference. Is Lewis Hunt really a better right back than him?

If he's got a crap attitude he shouldn't be given the chance, simple as.

What I really don't understand though is why the hell he's still here and why we're still paying decent money for his wages, if we have no intention of him playing for us ever again.

Isn't that something that should be worked on though? It's clear he's the sort of player who needs to be praised and cajoled into doing his job properly. Every player shouldn't be treated the same, in this instance he should have been treated with a bit more respect than he has been.

What I really don't understand though is why the hell he's still here and why we're still paying decent money for his wages, if we have no intention of him playing for us ever again.

Agree about the attitiude.
He's probably on a fixed-length loan and we can only return him once the time is up.

I thought that the loaning club could terminate after a certain length of time, but perhaps not.

Slightly surprised Arsenal haven't called him back to be honest, as they'd surely think it'd be more beneficial for him to be playing in their reserves than playing in the Essex Senior Cup.:p

Why hasn't he been used? I know he's got supposed attitude problems, but this is a right back who tore up the championship at points last year, and still manages to have a contract with Arsenal, who are notorious for releasing young talent.

To drop someone after five games or whatever it was reeks of a poor move, especially as he had to adapt to more physical league one. I just think it's a complete waste that he's been sitting in the reserves for four months instead of at least being given a go. Even as an impact sub or something, he could have made a difference. Is Lewis Hunt really a better right back than him?

On the evidence of what I've seen, Lewis Hunt is a far better right-back.

If it is a waste of anything, it is a waste of wages.

The only time Gilbert made any half decent appearances were when JCR was still here and they seemed to have an "understanding". Both Francis and Hunt appear better IMO.

Arsenal are probably more than happy to leave him here. They will no doubt get comprehensive feedback from Tilly & Brush about Gilbert's attitude in training and the other aspects of his game that we as fans don't see during matches.

We don't know the terms of the loan either. For all we know we're hardly contributing towards his wages.

Is it not worth giving him a go at right mid , Black has not been playing that well lately and when Gilbert played i thought he was far better going forward than defending . He is skillful enough and has pace

Obviously Tilly sees him every day in training and does not think so , but a bit of pace going forward is a must especially at home where we need to have a go at teams and score goals .

Is it not worth giving him a go at right mid , Black has not been playing that well lately and when Gilbert played i thought he was far better going forward than defending . He is skillful enough and has pace

Obviously Tilly sees him every day in training and does not think so , but a bit of pace going forward is a must especially at home where we need to have a go at teams and score goals .

Pace is more important away from home, where you have more space.

Most teams come to Roots Hall and put men behind the ball, which limits the space quick players have to run in to. Instead you need to rely on more trickery, width and most of all MOVEMENT.

Pace is more important away from home, where you have more space.

Most teams come to Roots Hall and put men behind the ball, which limits the space quick players have to run in to. Instead you need to rely on more trickery, width and most of all MOVEMENT.

I don't entirely agree there, but Gilbert has Trickery and movement and also an ability to get past a player , Home or Away that is what you ask for from a winger and he also has the pace , which like i said i believe to be very important

I don't entirely agree there, but Gilbert has Trickery and movement and also an ability to get past a player , Home or Away that is what you ask for from a winger and he also has the pace , which like i said i believe to be very important

Just a pity he can't read a clock properly then.... The boy has (allegedly) a touch of Rickets-itis.

As far as i know - We can give him back a month early (ie Jan)...Maybe they have tried to work on his attitude behind closed doors - but when you have someone continuously showing up late to training, throwing a huff when subbed for the reserves - and then you have somone else like lewis hunt who is applying themselves in the proper manner on and off the pitch - its not exactly fair is it...

I am very surprised Gilbert hasnt succeeded here after last year with cardiff - big disappointment for us but lets just move on and try again in the transfer window

Just a pity he can't read a clock properly then.... The boy has (allegedly) a touch of Rickets-itis.

Can't argue with you on that , but i don't believe we are in a position tommorrow to start worrying about stuff like that , as we have little attacking options and i for one am getting a little concerned ,unless Tilly has something up his sleeve this could be a very long january for us indeed :cry:

is it a strange one though? surely you get picked on merit, an awful player for us, and I think we have enough of them in our team at the moment

Back