• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Grand Canyon

steveo

mine to stay the same please
going to Las Vegas this year for the first time and was thinking of doing a Grand canyon tour. Anyone done one? Whats best, plane, helicopter? Morning, sunset?

Thanks in advance

Didn't do any fancy helicopter tours, but I'd recommend spending the entire day there from sunrise to sunset. It's an awe inspiring place, natural beauty at it's best and a shot in the arm over the tacky plastic cheesiness of LV.

Walk down and back.The world's best day trip.That's what RichieC and I did when we were there.(Mind you we were a lot younger and fitter then).:winking:

Last edited:
I went last year in July did the helicopter grand canyon ,very scary ...but fantastic,When you get to your hotel they will have all the gumpf think it was about $300 ,that includeded being picked up in a limo,you can get it cheaper.Where are you staying?

Walk down and back.The world'd best day trip.That's what RichieC and I did when we were there.(Mind you we were a lot younger and fitter then).:winking:

Think (though I maybe wrong) that only a certain number of people per day are allowed to walk down these days.

I went last year in July did the helicopter grand canyon ,very scary ...but fantastic,When you get to your hotel they will have all the gumpf think it was about $300 ,that includeded being picked up in a limo,you can get it cheaper.Where are you staying?

We will be at the Mirage.

Presumably the walk down there thing involves a long drive to ge there.

We will be at the Mirage.

Presumably the walk down there thing involves a long drive to ge there.

Very long drive, via the Hoover dam, into Arizona. I stayed overnight in Flagstaff, but I was on a 2 month USA stay.

Last edited:
Stay in Vegas - you won't find many all you can eat prime rib and lobster buffets for $15 at the Grand Canyon.

Very long drive, via the Hoover damn, into Arizona. I stayed overnight in Flagstaff, but I was on a 2 month USA stay.

Well we are only in Vegas for 5 days so the long drive is out.
Thanks fellas

Walk down and back.The world'd best day trip.That's what RichieC and I did when we were there.(Mind you we were a lot younger and fitter then).:winking:

Agreed, but take plenty of food and a water container - it is a long walk back up!

We stayed in George Town (I think it was called) in Arizona the night before and after, about an hours drive from the canyon.

Think (though I maybe wrong) that only a certain number of people per day are allowed to walk down these days.

Ha!We did the trip back in the 70's.Saw less than a dozen people all day.

Agreed, but take plenty of food and a water container - it is a long walk back up!

Good advice about the water.Also, take the same trail up as you took down.Otherwise, any shortcut trail you might be tempted to take from the bottom won't bring you back to the same place where you left your car(as we found out to our cost).Doh!:whistling:

Last edited:
I did a helicopter tour that included breakfast at some weird ranch in arizona that was pretty cool -- but another way to do it is to do the skydive and then you get to see everything

Didn't do any fancy helicopter tours, but I'd recommend spending the entire day there from sunrise to sunset. It's an awe inspiring place, natural beauty at it's best and a shot in the arm over the tacky plastic cheesiness of LV.

Oh yeah forgot leftys are anti gambling anti drinking

anti social too

I did a trip on a light high winged plane from a small Las Vegas airport. The trip took us over lake mead and hoover dam and then on to The Grand Canyon. We flew around the Canyon for about 20 mins seeing the Colorado River etc. then landed at Grand Canyon Airport (i think it was called that). From there we has a coach trip for 1/2 day to the various parts of the canyon with viewing platforms. Then it was back to the Airport via an included lunch stop and then back to Vegas. Quality day. Stayed at Luxor in Vegas!

Done exactly the same thing a while ago. Adventure Airlines was the people that done our one. The plane was an old bone-shaker which frightened the hell out of a few people. Had a guide with us who'd worked doing the same job for over 30 years and you could see he loved every second of it and how lucky he thought he was having the gig.

Cracking day out. Hoover Dam is worth a visit if you fancy a much shorter drive, too.

Ha!We did the trip back in the 70's.Saw less than a dozen people all day.

Tsk... :nope:

Good advice about the water.Also, take the same trail up as you took down.Otherwise, any shortcut trail you might be tempted to take from the bottom won't bring you back to the same place where you left your car(as we found out to our cost).Doh!:whistling:

Interested to see from MK's link that they still do mule trips down. We did it in '81 and it was a cracking day out in more senses than one, as at the bottom (Indian Garden?) one of our wranglers had his leg efficiently broken by a kick from his bad-tempered mule. What's that old proverb? "Third Class riding beats First Class walking".

EDIT: And I've just remembered that in a "Small World" moment I discovered that the Australian riding behind me had lived in Westcliff and worked as a Dentist on Canvey - "My mate gave me a ring and said "Come and work with me on this nice island off the Essex coast" and I thought "Yeah, sounds nice...""

Back