• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Hard man XI v fairies XI

Hong Kong Blue

I'm sure we've done this before, but your nominations please and an amusing anecdote or two why.

Surely Derek Payne gets into the Hard XI for hitting David Speedie and getting sent off...

tounge.gif

Reading Jupp's Q&A in last week's programme, it would seem that he & Darryl might get into the "Hard XI" in a different sense of the word - since, in answer to the question as to what he did on away trips, Juppy gave the answer that he "couldn't go into too much detail in a family publication as to the sort of vidoes that he & Darryl watch when on the road..."

wow.gif
biggrin.gif

Put Phil Gridelet down for the fairy XI, even though he always reckoned he was our team's hardman! I bet the poncy little scrote is still trading off his former league status in the bars of whatever cheap scrubber resort he's opted for this summer!

Darryl Flahavan

Danny Kerrigan
Ben Lewis
Mark Warren
Julian Hails

Ben Smith
Roger NZamba
Dean Houlness
Stephen Clark

Andy Thompson
Leon Constantine

I remember Paul Roberts as a fairy that thought he was a hard man. He'd fly in with suspect tackles, get up and fluff up his golden locks.

smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mad Cyril @ Sep. 09 2005,14:09)]Darryl Flahavan

Danny Kerrigan
Ben Lewis
Mark Warren
Julian Hails

Ben Smith
Roger NZamba
Dean Houlness
Stephen Clark

Andy Thompson
Leon Constantine
Mark Warren in the Fairy XI?
Hmmm, not so sure about that, although I suppose compared to Spinner and Sir Adam, maybe!

How can you have a fairy XI without Gordon Connelly in it?
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Sep. 09 2005,14:00)]Surely Derek Payne gets into the Hard XI for hitting David Speedie and getting sent off...

tounge.gif
Did you see that game Matt? He barely touched him - it was more of a stroke of his face than a slap and Speedie went down poleaxed (predictably.) If I recall correctly about 10 minutes later when the game had finished Judas made his famous "...well they (Birmingham) are a big club with lots of potential" speech.

Anyway, I'd like to take Payne out of the Hard XI and nominate instead Gary "Psycho" Bennett. Anyone on here remember him?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Sep. 09 2005,14:00)]Surely Derek Payne gets into the Hard XI for hitting David Speedie and getting sent off...

tounge.gif
I think the fact he bitch-slapped Speedie, does entitle Payne to a place in our fairies XI.

Not convinced Warren and Lewis were fairies. I just thought they were crap. Will propose instead dave Morley as a big centre-half who failed to put himself about and also Martin Ling and Harry Willis. Otherwise I like Mad Cyril's thinking.

Flahavan
Hails Morley ? Kerrigan
Ling Payne Gridelet Willis
Thomson Constantine

Sub N'Zamba

Dishonourable mentions to perma-tanned Adam Locke and Kevin O'Callaghan.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Bloke In The Pram Shop @ Sep. 09 2005,14:47)]Anyway, I'd like to take Payne out of the Hard XI and nominate instead Gary "Psycho" Bennett. Anyone on here remember him?
He was quality, he ran like a chicken, but was a quality finisher and a bit of a nutter. Dave Martin must be in the Hard XI too.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (GNH @ Sep. 09 2005,14:49)]He was quality, he ran like a chicken, but was a quality finisher and a bit of a nutter.
That was my recollection. Notably two goals against Lineker, Gascoigne, Mabbutt et al with a broken nose sustained in the first half of the famous Blues win in '89 (I think.) He went onto Wrexham, scored a record number of goals and is still regarded as something of a hero in those parts. For some reason though, Webby didn't really seem to rate him......too much bunny apparently.

Great call on Gary Bennett, he can partner Roy McDonough up front.

we might struggle for wide players, but I'm going to nominate Ooh Andy Ansah. Ansah would always make sure he got stuck in in any brawl and I remember a horrific two-footed jump tackle in front of the West Stand for which he clearly should have been red-carded. Otto gets in on the basis of not being fazed by being attacked by a bloke with a hammer in the Anglo-Italian Cup. His familiarity with firearms and experience at Her Majesty's pleasure would also serve him well.

Centre-halves - I'm offering Leo "pumping on your stereo" Roget and Paul Clarke, who never missed a chance to tackle. Any raises?
Still missing full-backs and someone to partner Dave Martin in midfield - Rio Alderton?

HARD MAN X1:

Mel Capleton
Leon Johnson
Damon Searle
Leo Roget
Leon Cort
Phil Gridelet
Stuart Thurgood
Maher 8
Drewe Broughton
Leon Constantine
Danny Webb

[b said:

tounge.gif
Bruno Bruno Bruno.......

laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tweedy @ Sep. 09 2005,15:02)]HARD MAN X1:

Mel Capleton
Leon Johnson
Damon Searle
Leo Roget
Leon Cort
Phil Gridelet
Stuart Thurgood
Maher 8
Drewe Broughton
Leon Constantine
Danny Webb
You are surely taking the p%&s with half of this lot? Danny Webb???

Seeing as I have had the pleasure of knowing him, I think I can safely say he is built like a brick s%&te house, With a bent user name like " the bloke in the pram shop" I hardly think you are in a position to give out abuse...................

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Bloke In The Pram Shop @ Sep. 09 2005,15:04)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tweedy @ Sep. 09 2005,15:02)]HARD MAN X1:

Mel Capleton
Leon Johnson
Damon Searle
Leo Roget
Leon Cort
Phil Gridelet
Stuart Thurgood
Maher 8
Drewe Broughton
Leon Constantine
Danny Webb
You are surely taking the p%&s with half of this lot? Danny Webb???
Gridelet certainly ain't hard either.
Please refer to my above posting!

Back