• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Has Ron had a complete personality change lately?

CaptainSmudger

The Official Southend United Pilot⭐
I like many on here would like to thank Stan for his professional approach to rectifying our dreadful demise.
Thank you also to Stan for seemingly getting some common sense thinking with Tom in putting together this fantastic much needed Management Team.
I ask again, Has Ron had a Complete Personality change and how come?
COYB UTB

Last edited:
I'd personally say the fans protesting has finally made him realise the walking all over us has to stop and it's about time things need to change. Let's not thank Ron, after all he's literally been forced into in by a small amount of fans (who wanted to protest in the summer and again recently) and Collymore wanting to get involved again. He literally had to do it IMO. I'm sure its hurt him greatly!

Remember lots of people on here saying how protests won't do anything?

That being said, it's early days and for all I know, the circus will carry on as normal.

What I'd like to think has happened is that after recent events on and off the pitch Ron has had a reality check, and now appreciates and accepts that he doesn't always know best, and that someone like Stan is far better placed to take this club in the direction it needs to be heading in order to survive and prosper.

Those that believe the protests were successful, probably believe in alien abduction.

SVC comes along and makes very public, on here, the radio etc that he will help for FREE. What can Ron lose? He can get some free advice, take it or leave it, and placate some of the fans. Ron, rightly, will determine the outcome of the interviews regardless of any suggested pressure on him.

Ron won't look a gift horse in the mouth but he won't fall for the Trojan horse trick either.

We maybe have also forgotten that he very nearly brought Stan in earlier. This was scuppered IMO when he changed the offer- probably because the incumbent manager pushed back on the proposed roles and responsibilities. The clear out, as a result of performance on the pitch, has enabled a revisit, and probably more root and branch changes than envisaged originally. In the end it doesn't matter we are getting on with it positively now. No doubt there will be a queue of people trying to take the credit if indeed all goes well :-) Who cares.

What I'd like to think has happened is that after recent events on and off the pitch Ron has had a reality check, and now appreciates and accepts that he doesn't always know best, and that someone like Stan is far better placed to take this club in the direction it needs to be heading in order to survive and prosper.
I hope you are correct COYB UTB

I think it may not necessarily be a change in personality but more acceptance that no man is an island. I think the SVC conversation earlier in the year probably did sink in but at the time he likely felt he had his man in PB. In fairness PB was successful last time round, we'd seen an upturn in performances even if too little too late last season. I don't believe there was a structure back then that could facilitate both PB and SVC.

The PB appointment wasn't wrong at the time, my preference was it for it be done quickly so we could focus and prepare for the NL. I didn't see for one second things would end up in the dire state they are on the pitch.

I think now PB is gone, RM probably can really embrace the help and recognises the same level of time, structure and strategy is required for on the pitch affairs as they are off. The SVC approach with a new CEO in place (also post PB appointment) they can absolutely start afresh.

Depends which level you're looking at it from. If it's from his aim to build the new stadium (at any cost to team and reputation) and capitalise on his 'investment,' then he hasn't moved one iota. The transformation has come with the probable realisation that he is not quite as good at running a football club as he thought. In that sense it has to be welcomed that he is willing, mainly due to the generousity of SVC, to adopt a more open and better structured running of the club. For the rest, we can only keep our fingers crossed for the Council meeting at the end of the month.

Please don’t be fooled

If Ron wants to win back a shred support it’s actions that speak louder than words. Since forever now it’s been a merry go round of disaster - Ron speaks out - situation goes dead - next low happens - Ron speaks out…..
Really glad to hear you say this as a representative of SOS.

This could go multiple ways but we really need to be alert to the fact Ron could calm the supporter storm as he did in the summer and then pull the rug from under Stan again but give himself some breathing room from the pressure and stop supporter momentum that we currently have.

My hope though is that he is actually fully backing Stans proposal and we get to see if the structure of the playing side can be changed and managed sufficiently with Ron still at the helm. Then if it all works out we, as fans, still get what we want (a competitive successful side) and Ron gets his payday.

Remember lots of people on here saying how protests won't do anything?

That being said, it's early days and for all I know, the circus will carry on as normal.
Not sure many people said that. Some pointed out that Ron won't be going anywhere so best to make your point but at least offer to work with him if you want change.

Others said the quickest way would be to pressure the council as just planning for FF will attract investors.

The majority of us do not want Ron out at all cost even if its the end of SUFC.

Really glad to hear you say this as a representative of SOS.

This could go multiple ways but we really need to be alert to the fact Ron could calm the supporter storm as he did in the summer and then pull the rug from under Stan again but give himself some breathing room from the pressure and stop supporter momentum that we currently have.

My hope though is that he is actually fully backing Stans proposal and we get to see if the structure of the playing side can be changed and managed sufficiently with Ron still at the helm. Then if it all works out we, as fans, still get what we want (a competitive successful side) and Ron gets his payday.
It has become a classic tactic and many of us have fallen for it before myself included…. Not again!

For me and many others it’s time for the club to walk the walk rather than keep talking.

Those that believe the protests were unsuccessful, probably believe in alien abduction.
Edited for accuracy.

But joking aside I believe that they and the negative publicity probably helped focus RM and brought him out in to an uncomfortable media environment re radio interviews and national press so he could hardly sit and do nothing whilst all burned around him.

Coincidence? Maybe.
Fortunate timing? Maybe
Unsuccessful protest? Probably not
Successful protest? Possibly not but time will tell

We maybe have also forgotten that he very nearly brought Stan in earlier. This was scuppered IMO when he changed the offer- probably because the incumbent manager pushed back on the proposed roles and responsibilities. The clear out, as a result of performance on the pitch, has enabled a revisit, and probably more root and branch changes than envisaged originally. In the end it doesn't matter we are getting on with it positively now. No doubt there will be a queue of people trying to take the credit if indeed all goes well :-) Who cares.
I think you have hit the nail on the head here. PB did not want SVC involved in his plans.
Thank You Stan for caring as much as we do, coming back in and getting things moving. Suggesting the Removal of PB and CF and demoting Duncan.
All sound decisions in my mind.
Looking forward to a Dynamic team to get us we’re we belong.
COYB UTB

This is surely a win win situation for Ron. He's kinda failed in his decisions and tbf we all make em but by passing the reigns and calling in a team to select the management . If it goes wrong. Ron can portion blame if it goes well then he has finally made a right decision

I think a lot of it has to do with being exhausted by it all having thrown money at it and tried lots of different types of managers. He doesnt seem like the kind of guy to relinquish control but maybe hes just had enough.

Stan coming in is a no lose for him.
He looked a bit broken in the last zoom call.
Stan has been impressive all round so far so Ron has finally seen sense and let him have a big input, let’s hope the marriage lasts…..hope so but not convinced!

He looked a bit broken in the last zoom call.
Stan has been impressive all round so far so Ron has finally seen sense and let him have a big input, let’s hope the marriage lasts…..hope so but not convinced!
I think a lot of it has to do with being exhausted by it all having thrown money at it and tried lots of different types of managers. He doesnt seem like the kind of guy to relinquish control but maybe hes just had enough.

Stan coming in is a no lose for him.
Ron throw money??
He is taking £300,000 a year out of the club for consultancy fees which mainly apply to him building his own stadium at Fossetts Farm. It will be interesting when the latest accounts and finally produced( they are now overdue) to see how much Mr Martin has not put into the club in the last year.
He is putting the club further in debt each year with his annual take out of £300,000.
But it does appear he is fooling many on shrimperzone!

Back