• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

DTS

The Business
I mean people that have no real connection with Southend that you have managed to get supporting us. I have got one for sure and one im working on.

My mate Ricardo lives in Malaga & is a avid Malaga fan. However after his first trip to the hall ( 2-2 vs Plymouth when Fat Fitz scored) he has been hooked. Comes over 3 or 4 times a season which is good from Malaga, Southend car stickers in his car window, pictures on SUSCT website and came over for play off final. Good Lad.

Second is a mate who lives in Brighton but supports Southends mate. Likes football but no connection with any club. Starting bringing him half way through last season as he had nothing to on a Saturday and since then he has been coming most weeks. He contacted me about Gills tickets as is starting to join in with the singing. I reckon a win at Gills and he is hooked.

You ?
wow.gif

Probably a predictable and common one- but the missus.
When i met her nearly two years ago she knew absolutely nothing about football. However, on our second date she came to the home game against York City with me in the 2003-2004 season and from then she got hooked (quite how after that game ended 0-0 in front of about 3,000 people on a cold and wet Tuesday night in January i don't know, but she did).
She came to about 3 more games that season and since then she's been pretty much a semi regular, coming to most home games. She's even dabbled in a few aways (most notably the two LDV Finals, Scunny away last season and Cambridge).
She also now has a ground count of 7, not bad for a girl who hated football two years ago. Even though i do keep reminding her 7 is a far cry from my 49.

A lady who works in our New York office came to London and I had to take her and the husband out to dinner. He was a soccer fan and a big fan of Man U but I spent the evening explaining SUFC and he went home and joined the Shrimpers Trust, has completely switched allegiance to the extent that I have to send him lots of stuff.

I gave him a shirt as a present and he wears it to training every week and his team have adopted us.

He wore the SUFC shirt to the England game in the summer.

I am going there next week after the Yeovil game and my suitcase has alot of stuff for him.

I converted a girl from our office to become a shrimper.

Her boyfriend lived in Kidderminster and was a staunch Harriers fan. When we played there last year i nearly got her to come in the away end with us but for a quiet life she went behind the Kiddie goal with her boyfriend.

When Nic Nac scored our second there was one pair of arms waving around behind the kiddie goal
laugh.gif

I don't think the boyfriend was too impressed.

three girls from work. i dated one of them about 2 years ago. anyway, on the first date i embarrassingly explained the offside rule with salt and pepper pots! After about three weeks of abuse at work i asked if they wanted to come along to a game to which they accepted. think the game was boston but cant remember the result. since then theyve been to about 4/5 games and i took them to england vs holland earlier in the year. whenever we win they always phone and all have SUFC car stickers. oh and the date went awfully bad and im now seeing her bestfriend!!

My best mate, who spent years abusing me for being a shrimper, so i managed to somehow get him to come along, after 5 minutes of his first game, that was it, shrimper for life!

My Missus didn't really take an interest in Footy when I met her, 5 years on she has been a seaso for 3 years, goes to away games etc. Her daugters and their boyfriends were at both LDV's

A couple of mates in Inverness always look out for the results but have yet to visit the hall, however they do intend coming down for a game soon. When they came s to our wedding they did make us drive past the ground so they could see it though...

Funnily enough we met a couple of Scunny fans whilst on holiday in Ireland, they are now showing a "more than just a rival" sort of interest in our results but you can hardly say we have converted them.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimper James @ Sep. 21 2005,10:58)]Probably a predictable and common one- but the missus.
When i met her nearly two years ago she knew absolutely nothing about football. However, on our second date she came to the home game against York City with me in the 2003-2004 season and from then she got hooked (quite how after that game ended 0-0 in front of about 3,000 people on a cold and wet Tuesday night in January i don't know, but she did).
She came to about 3 more games that season and since then she's been pretty much a semi regular, coming to most home games. She's even dabbled in a few aways (most notably the two LDV Finals, Scunny away last season and Cambridge).
She also now has a ground count of 7, not bad for a girl who hated football two years ago. Even though i do keep reminding her 7 is a far cry from my 49.
Bloody hell! You must of done a good job in convincing her on the basis of that game. Was a 0-0 draw and freezing cold if I remember rightly??
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (lucus @ Sep. 21 2005,11:25)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimper James @ Sep. 21 2005,10:58)]Probably a predictable and common one- but the missus.
Bloody hell! You must of done a good job in convincing her on the basis of that game. Was a 0-0 draw and freezing cold if I remember rightly??  
biggrin.gif
Ha ha, how foolish of me. Just read your post properly and realised that you mentioned how cold and poor a game it was. But still, well done that man!!

Easy one for me. My young lad. 4 years old, is a staunch 'Shrimper' wont wear anything else on a Saturday but his Shrimpers T-shirt/footy replica kit. He's only been to one game (v R&D Boxing Day when we won 4-2 after being 0-2 at HT. He was only 4 months and 1 day old and the missus took him into the Far Post bar for the whole 2nd half).

Always asks me if "us Shrimpers" won when I get home on a Saturday evening an goes as loopy as me when it's a 'yes' (it's been a loopy couple of years in the Milkey household!!)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (lucus @ Sep. 21 2005,11:27)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (lucus @ Sep. 21 2005,11:25)]
[b said:
biggrin.gif
Ha ha, how foolish of me. Just read your post properly and realised that you mentioned how cold and poor a game it was. But still, well done that man!!
Why thanks.
Also forgot to mention the girlfriend's brother.
A West Ham fan before i arrived on the scene- now he doesn't even know who the scum are even playing and attends all our home games. He came to Cardiff with us for the play-off final and will be joining us at the City Ground in November.
Also, well done to MilkeySUFC- putting in the hours early doors always pays off. I did it with my younger sister. From the age of about 4 i'd teach her to answer with 'Southend' when i asked her who the greatest team in the world where. Now she's 11 and my Mum takes her to home games, and this season i've bought her her very first shirt.
She's never even been close to supporting anybody else.

The lovely Mrs CI-City Blue was converted very shortly after we met, and after taking her to the first game of the 2001-02 season (home to Darlington, won 1-0, Searle sent off, and Rawle off the bench to score the winner), she kinda got why I am a Shrimper, and why I always will be.

This was no mean feat, and my wife is from Dublin, and has grown up a Man United fan... like most of them over there. She goes a couple of times a year (still prefers shopping) and went to Cardiff for last season's LDV Vans Trophy final.

Hence my in-laws all have more than a passing interest in SUFC, and will always congratulate me on a good result...

Workwise - like most offices in the City, there are quite a few different clubs supported (Partick Thistle and Man City being a couple of the obscure) so everyone looks out for everybody else's results.

However, I have recently swapped a Southend shirt for a Hearts shirt with one of the lads in our Edinburgh office....

My 6 year old is one of us despite the peer group pressure to support WHU/ Arsenal and the brainwashing from outlaw grandparents to support Man U. Did'nt go down too well when one of the boys turned up for training late and he shouted out 'here come a Hamster!'.

2 year old daughter sings Freddy songs during breakfast and also says 'come on the Mighty Blues'', a tribute to the late departed Jeff Allen.

On SZ there's my brother (Grim) and South Bank Hank that I know of.

In Malta there's Mrs. OS, the coach of Birkirkara FC, a couple of people in radio over here who look out for our results and give us a mention and about 6 more.

We're trying to work on the entire island through the media.

biggrin.gif

My uncle from Manchester. Was an arsenal fan when he lived down this way, then started watching Manchester City and Stockport County both semi-regular. Now his always got his eye on Southend results, and I've persuaded him to start betting on Southend matches again, after losing a lot of money on us. His starting to win it back after Swindon and Tranmere matches. A lot of it is to do with Shaun Goater, who my uncle semi-knows, so that helped. His down this way during November, he may have to accompany me to Roots Hall.

In my office there is a girl who is a Spurs fan and season ticket holder. Although not a shrimper she always tells me the scores and has watched the play off semis & final plus the Southampton game on Sky.

In Australia I have 6 cousins all born in Southend, all Blues fans. They all have kids now and they have all been been indoctrinated into SUFC. At the last count there were 14 of them.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimper James @ Sep. 21 2005,10:58)]However, on our second date she came to the home game against York City with me in the 2003-2004 season and from then she got hooked
You old romantic you!!

tounge.gif
smile.gif

Back