• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Headphones

Jam_Man

Life President
Starting to get the train more and more these days and my in-ear headphones are on their way out.

Need to replace them and see a lot of people using full headphones these days so thought Id have a look at them. Anyone have any recommendations?

Requirements are around £60 and for no sound leakage whatsoever, I have a decent pair of noise cancelling headphones but the person next to you can hear the words they are that bad. I dont want to bother my fellow travellers, even if half of them dont seem to care the other way around.

Also rather not have anything too funky and something suitable to a man of 43...

I have a pair of Shure se215's they are in ear but the sound is incredible, plus noone hears anything and you cant hear them :winking:
I always find full headphones a pain to carry around, where as inear ones get tangled nicely :smile:

They look ok Pubey, are they "on" ear rather than around ear?

Do they block out external sound ok?

I am very paranoid about annoying other passengers so leakage is certainly something I want to avoid.

They look ok Pubey, are they "on" ear rather than around ear?

Do they block out external sound ok?

I am very paranoid about annoying other passengers so leakage is certainly something I want to avoid.

They're on ear, the cover your ear but after a while the pressing starts to hurt a little. For short trips they're great because they're very portable and fold up nice and small. I have quite a big head, for the majority of amazon users it doesn't look like they share my problem!

The sound quality is excellent and I think you'll struggle to find headphones of that size that don't leak a little bit because they're not covering the full ear. They do a good job at blocking out background noise.

For £60 you'll have trouble getting over ear closed back headphones that will provide good isolation and minimal sound leakage (especially compared to in-ears), having said that the Audio-Technica ATH-M30 come with decent reviews and are only £50, link here >

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-Techn...phones/dp/B00007E7C8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

If you can save up a bit more cash then take a look at the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 Ohm, I have a pair and they are ridiculously comfy (they go around your ears and don't squash them), and sound fantastic although admittedly you'll need a small headphone amp as well, link >

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beyerdynamic-DT770-PRO-Headset-OHM/dp/B0016MNAAI

For £60 you'll have trouble getting over ear closed back headphones that will provide good isolation and minimal sound leakage (especially compared to in-ears), having said that the Audio-Technica ATH-M30 come with decent reviews and are only £50, link here >

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-Techn...phones/dp/B00007E7C8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

If you can save up a bit more cash then take a look at the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 Ohm, I have a pair and they are ridiculously comfy (they go around your ears and don't squash them), and sound fantastic although admittedly you'll need a small headphone amp as well, link >

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beyerdynamic-DT770-PRO-Headset-OHM/dp/B0016MNAAI

Do they also do that on people who have been "fortunate" enough to be blessed with rather large ears?

Went to Currys yesterday and had a listen to all the ones they had

My favourites which sounded good and were comfortable were the Phillips Uptown.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CD2Z760/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was actually stunned when I tried the Beats headphones, they sounded crap, maybe that was due to the ipod settings, but whilst I wouldnt buy them anyway (too expensive/trendy) I was very unimpressed.

Sadly cant have them until Xmas as they are a present.

They look nice Jam Man. Report back with how they are, I go through headphones/earphones like nobody's business!

Glad I went down there, its ok reading reviews but you only get a real idea when you put them on.

They seemed nice in the shop, Im no hi-fi geek though so no expert, but of the ones on display these had the nicest sound and were the most comfortable. Checked reviews when I got home and they do very well even when they were priced in the £100 region, so hopefully a bargain at £55.

I find myself getting the train every day now (used to drive) and looking forward to being able to use them.

Went to Currys yesterday and had a listen to all the ones they had

My favourites which sounded good and were comfortable were the Phillips Uptown.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CD2Z760/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was actually stunned when I tried the Beats headphones, they sounded crap, maybe that was due to the ipod settings, but whilst I wouldnt buy them anyway (too expensive/trendy) I was very unimpressed.

Sadly cant have them until Xmas as they are a present.

Beats appear to me to be more style then substance!

Just as an update had the headphones for a week now and absolutely love them.

Made a similar comment on the "what are you listening to" thread but they have really got me listening to music again.

Quality is fantastic compared to what Im used to, they only cost £55 but were originally £100 and am delighted with them.

Cant recommend them as this is the first pair of real headphones Ive owned so dont know how they compare to others apart from the quick in shop tests I did, but Im very happy with them. No doubt look a total **** with them on the train, but at least they are plain black.

Back