• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Heroes

I've never taken any notice to be honest of all the classic so called 'heroes' of history such as Che Guevara or Nelson Mandela etc until........

The reverend Martin Luther King jnr.

What a man.

I read a book called 'let the trumpet sound' ( available at Leigh Library ) and this guy blew me away.
I revere him because
- He stood by his principles
- He LOVED people who hated him
- He was utterly human and made loads of mistakes
- He stood for others and his beliefs even when people tried to kill his children.

Who is your hero and why?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (perth shrimper @ Oct. 07 2004,15:55)]Who is your hero and why?
My parents.

Nauseatingly cheesy, but true. They've worked damn hard and gone without a lot to ensure I had a decent start in life, and for that, they will always be heroes to me.

smile.gif

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (perth shrimper @ Oct. 07 2004,14:55)]Who is your hero and why?
Lance Armstrong- coming back from testicular cancer to win the Tour de France 6 times.

Chesney Hawkes. An inspiration to many because if he could have a hit record, anyone can.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Oct. 07 2004,15:00)]
[b said:
My parents.

Nauseatingly cheesy, but true.  They've worked damn hard and gone without a lot to ensure I had a decent start in life, and for that, they will always be heroes to me.

smile.gif

Matt
Probably be the same for me as well, Matt.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (West Country Shrimper @ Oct. 07 2004,16:09)]
[b said:
[b said:
My parents.

Nauseatingly cheesy, but true.  They've worked damn hard and gone without a lot to ensure I had a decent start in life, and for that, they will always be heroes to me.

smile.gif

Matt
Wow, my parents helped you too, Hils?!

tounge.gif
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Oct. 07 2004,15:10)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (West Country Shrimper @ Oct. 07 2004,16:09)]
[b said:
[b said:
My parents.

smile.gif

Matt
Wow, my parents helped you too, Hils?!

tounge.gif

laugh.gif
Yes, i'm your long, lost little sister
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (West Country Shrimper @ Oct. 07 2004,16:16)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Oct. 07 2004,15:10)]Wow, my parents helped you too, Hils?!
biggrin.gif

wink.gif
Blimey! Three sisters...

wow.gif
tounge.gif

Still, you're neither ginger nor left-handed, so I can be forgiven for not realising you're one of my sisters...

cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Oct. 07 2004,15:19)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (West Country Shrimper @ Oct. 07 2004,16:16)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Oct. 07 2004,15:10)]Wow, my parents helped you too, Hils?!
biggrin.gif

wink.gif
Blimey!  Three sisters...

wow.gif

tounge.gif

Still, you're neither ginger nor left-handed, so I can be forgiven for not realising you're one of my sisters...

cool.gif
Im gonna call u my big brother now
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif

And i'm quite pleased that i'm not ginger either
biggrin.gif

Getting this thread back on track.

The unknown soldier, for paying the ultimate sacrifice.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (chadded @ Oct. 07 2004,16:22)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Oct. 07 2004,15:19)]Still, you're neither ginger nor left-handed,
I'm keeping my gob shut.  
ghostface.gif
Good. Wouldn't want you young scallywags cracking on to them.

wink.gif

After all, surely even you must realise that the fact that they don't resemble me is something which is enormously in their favour in the looks department...

laugh.gif

Err... which is, of course, not such good news for me.

ghostface.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (chadded @ Oct. 07 2004,16:05)]
[b said:
Lance Armstrong- coming back from testicular cancer to win the Tour de France 6 times.
There's no denying that Lance has cheated death to get where he is but there's always a grey area about how he's actually achieved what he's achieved.

I feel able to quantify this having raced a bike myself & having followed professional cycling for over 15 years.

Yes the man's won 6 TDF's on the spin but this is in an era of nobodies. Hero for me has to be along the lines of Merckx, Roche or Moser.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (West Country Shrimper @ Oct. 07 2004,16:22)]Im gonna call u my big brother now
biggrin.gif

tounge.gif
Not sure if that's an "Ahhhh!" or an

<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>"AAAAAAAAA</span><span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>AAAAAAAAA</span>AAAaaaaargh!"

laugh.gif
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ Oct. 07 2004,15:32)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (chadded @ Oct. 07 2004,16:05)]
[b said:
There's no denying that Lance has cheated death to get where he is but there's always a grey area about how he's actually achieved what he's achieved.

I feel able to quantify this having raced a bike myself & having followed professional cycling for over 15 years.

Yes the man's won 6 TDF's on the spin but this is in an era of nobodies.  Hero for me has to be along the lines of Merckx, Roche or Moser.
It's not so much the 6 Tour de France's, although don't get me wrong, I think it's one of the most remarkable sporting achievements ever. It's more getting over something as horrible as cancer and then doing it, and also the Lance Armstrong foundation.

Back