• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

CHEMICO FC

Manager
I think its time for Referees stop turning a blind eye on the pulling and tugging that goes on in Football Matches know.The Laws of the game if you pull someone or tugging its a free kick.Most of this goes on in the penalty area on corners.

Referees are not pulling players up for this.Rules are Rules.

The games is Football not Rugby.

Last edited:
Are they really turning a blind eye?

Most of the time I see someone's shirt being pulled, the ref calls for a foul. Sometimes when it's subtle it's understandable that a ref will miss it. I don't think there's some kind of campaign to let it slide.

I've seen people recently practically pulling a shirt of another player's back - both against and for us - and getting nothing! Corr is one of those who suffers most. It definitely goes on.

Its absolutely and utterly impossible to police. Of the five offences that occur at every corner, which one do you punish, which four do you let off......

Personally, I'd love to see refs do it, but I wouldn't want to have to work it our myself....

Simple. Start giving penalties when they are committed. It happens every corner.

Except it usually happens before the corner has been delivered, and therefore the ball isn't in play.

Except it usually happens before the corner has been delivered, and therefore the ball isn't in play.

LAW 12 – FOULS AND MISCONDUCT

A direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any
of the following seven offences in a manner considered by the referee to be
careless, reckless or using excessive force:
• kicks or attempts to kick an opponent
• trips or attempts to trip an opponent
• jumps at an opponent
• charges an opponent
• strikes or attempts to strike an opponent
• pushes an opponent
• tackles an opponent

A direct free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any
of the following three offences:
• holds an opponent
• spits at an opponent
• handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his own
penalty area)

No mention of the ball having to be in play...

Also from Law 12....

Penalty kick

A penalty kick is awarded if any of the above ten offences is committed by a player inside his own penalty area, irrespective of the position of the ball, provided it is in play.

LAW 12 – FOULS AND MISCONDUCT

A direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any
of the following seven offences in a manner considered by the referee to be
careless, reckless or using excessive force:
• kicks or attempts to kick an opponent
• trips or attempts to trip an opponent
• jumps at an opponent
• charges an opponent
• strikes or attempts to strike an opponent
• pushes an opponent
• tackles an opponent

A direct free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any
of the following three offences:
• holds an opponent
• spits at an opponent
• handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his own
penalty area)

No mention of the ball having to be in play...

But then that's 'clarified' by FIFA who say:

Basic requirements for a foul
The following conditions must be met for an offence to be considered a foul:
• it must be committed by a player
• it must occur on the field of play
• it must occur while the ball is in play

See 'resources' - http://www.thefa.com/football-rules...ball-11-11/law-12---fouls-and-misconduct.aspx

Also from Law 12....

Penalty kick

A penalty kick is awarded if any of the above ten offences is committed by a player inside his own penalty area, irrespective of the position of the ball, provided it is in play.

That's does seem to make it rather ambiguous then , it would appear that defenders can only be penalised by a Yellow / Red card for a tussle in the area (as penalties can only be given when the ball is in play) , but forwards can concede a free kick ....

No wonder the refs wait to see what happens once the ball is delivered....

That's does seem to make it rather ambiguous then , it would appear that defenders can only be penalised by a Yellow / Red card for a tussle in the area (as penalties can only be given when the ball is in play) , but forwards can concede a free kick ....

No wonder the refs wait to see what happens once the ball is delivered....

The way I understand it is that you can't give a foul (and therefore a free kick, penalty, card) if the ball isn't in play.

However if you conduct something that is a foul when the ball is out of play (i.e. something that would have resulted in a free kick, penalty, card if the ball was in play) - then you get done for unsporting conduct and for that reason can get a yellow or red card.

The result is that giving out lots of cards for shirt pulling will just slow things down. Refs tend to wait to see if it continues when the ball is delivered - if there's a clear foul in the box then we do see refs giving the foul/penalty etc. Seems like the best way to avoid slowing the game down.

But then that's 'clarified' by FIFA who say:

Basic requirements for a foul
The following conditions must be met for an offence to be considered a foul:
• it must be committed by a player
• it must occur on the field of play
• it must occur while the ball is in play

See 'resources' - http://www.thefa.com/football-rules...ball-11-11/law-12---fouls-and-misconduct.aspx

Right, I had only got up to page 32 where all the Laws are, the guideline was on page 117 !

The book of the Laws is 54 pages there are a further 82 pages of guidelines and interpretations

I forget it is almost 20 years since I qualified as a ref, when there were a couple of sheets of guidelines...

I think its time for Referees stop turning a blind eye on the pulling and tugging that goes on in Football Matches know.The Laws of the game if you pull someone or tugging its a free kick.Most of this goes on in the penalty area on corners.

Referees are not pulling players up for this.Rules are Rules.

Portsmouth v Southend 15 minutes into the game was typical Portsmouth had corner ,was taken and a Portsmouth player had his arms round Thompson from behind and pulled him to the ground Cert Penalty but Reff never see it.
Did anyone see this add your comment or video or picture

OK This won't happen obviously but.....

Corner. All defenders MUST be in the six yard box or centre circle AND attackers must be outside the penalty area at the moment the corner is taken.

If players persist in breaking the laws of the game, change them!

Back