• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Just for some perspective on the costs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keepmoat_Stadium
The Keepmoat Stadium is a multi-purpose stadium in Doncaster, England, with a capacity of 15,231. It cost approximately £20 million to construct, as part of the wider complex it resides within which in total cost approximately £32 million, and is mainly used by Doncaster Rovers, but is also used by Doncaster Rugby League Club and Doncaster Rovers Belles Ladies Football Club.[SUP][1][/SUP]

Assuming the 3,000 season ticket fan base sitcks their hand in their pocket, thats a rough cost of 8,300 per person for a 25 mil cost stadium, thats of course not including buying RM or Sainsburys current debt as well.

Col U's place for 10k was just over 14 mil

So whoever is going to get involved needs very deep pockets

I believe that Sainsburys agreed to pay for the 3 sides as the main stand was the biggest cost. The main stand was planned with a hotel attached to it, and I'm guessing Ron was hoping to find a hotel chain to pay that cost. Although how many hotel chains would pay to build a hotel and not own it? None I guess.

I think the point was buying them out, not if they will finance it. A lot here seem to think someone will come in with deep pockets on what is a historical loss making enterprise and make it right.

I think the point was buying them out, not if they will finance it. A lot here seem to think someone will come in with deep pockets on what is a historical loss making enterprise and make it right.

Its more than that. The same people think that by scaling down the project we would be better off. How? We would have a bright new shiny stadium with a little better capacity to now. Without continued success that needs to be invested in the new satdium would be debt ridden surviving on 5k supporters in lg2.

The new project needs to involve new attendant revenue streams unrelated to football and thus it is not just about building a new stadium.

Am I the only fan, who would like us to stay at Roots Hall for as long as possible. Not able to go to more than about 8 games a year. I know it's a dump, needs some renovation, but I love it. A lot of memories and suits our purposes for the next 6 years. Is there a option where we can stay put ?

Am I the only fan, who would like us to stay at Roots Hall for as long as possible. Not able to go to more than about 8 games a year. I know it's a dump, needs some renovation, but I love it. A lot of memories and suits our purposes for the next 6 years. Is there a option where we can stay put ?

How long is it now since the new ground announcement, 8 years? I think all we have to do is nothing and the next 6 years will pass very quickly at Roots Hall.:smile:

Roots Hall is valuable Real Estate. The money generated through its sale can help toward giving us a new stadium and a hopeful future. Staying put with the maintenance costs but no added revenue streams would just leave us dead in the water. As a club we need to have something that is not just for football once a fortnight and the scope at RH is limited.

The only way to go will be AFC Southend and groundshare with Canvey. The only good thing will be the club will be owned by the fans and no more Ron Martin

Someone suggested to me a while ago (completely off the record) that Southend Council allegedly do not support the building of FF!

Someone suggested to me a while ago (completely off the record) that Southend Council allegedly do not support the building of FF!

May be true... I suspect that it is likely that Southend Council do not support the building of FF while our esteemed chairman is in charge!

Did the Someone have a clipboard?? Probably not true if they didn't have one!!

This could be part of the problem, the SBC has shown over the years that it has no clear plan on how to develop the Borough, hence the disaster of Vic Av & old tech college office blocks for the last decade.
The area has too little spare space for any major developments and SBC often is at odds with Rochford and Castle Point.

Back