• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Original Question: Good reception or boo?

• Total voters
I was never his biggest fan and thought after the 2nd failure to get us promotion it was time for a change but I would never boo him. He was an excellent servant in his time and that first season he saved us from going out of the football league. Not many managers could of done what he did when he first took over.

I would definitely give him a good reception.

Unfortunately Paul Sturrock was said to be suffering more from his illness at the end of his time here, so taking over another League club may never happen.
He got a lot of things right, and a lot wrong. He was always dignified and an absolute gentleman outside of the dressing room and at training. What he was like inside the dressing room, only players and staff would know.
I always remember his first 2 training sessions when he seemed to spend all the time on the mobile, trying to get a squad together with time running out. He somehow managed it, although being as it was very rushed, a lot were panic acquisitions and turned out to be garbage. I think that would have happened to any manager in that situation tho.
At the end of the day, we didn't go down as we were tipped for, and he laid the foundations for where we are today, even tho his hands were tied.
The guy even came with and drank with the fans at Wembley, even tho he felt that he should have been leading them out on what would have been the biggest day and hi light of his managerial career.
So, well done Paul Sturrock, and thank you.

One thing is for sure the team he put out would play 'direct' shall we say. Would never boo him in a million years, to not go up after amassing 83 points is just the worst luck ever. I didnt like the way we played but will always take a result over a performance.

Silly poll.
I was not a huge fan of PS as his style of football was so dire.
However, he had his heart in the right place and is a decent man.

Roots Hall should give him a warm welcome.

If he was hired as manager for another club who comes to the Hall, would you give good reception for no reason?, Or Boo him for keeping us in LEague 2 for four miserable seasons, and wasting money on spillane, spicer, flood, smith, bouzid, Dave Martin, Elliot Benyon, all spent money on, to leave us still having not paid 3 of those players........
Sturrock was only in charge for 3 seasons...

Good reception as if not for him, we would have gone through the league and get beaten at home by Braintree then ended up playing in same league as Concord Rangers & Chelmsford City and get beaten by both! That what happen to Stockport County!!

I'd personally boo him, yeah really only had 1 good season, in which he kept Peter Gilbert LB and bottled being top of the league for so long, boring football, spent actual money bring Elliott Benyon, and now still havent paid 3 of the worst players i have ever seen at southend for 16years i have been watching

Yeah, cos not paying players is sturrock's fault.

Are you actually human?

Silly poll.
I was not a huge fan of PS as his style of football was so dire.
However, he had his heart in the right place and is a decent man.

Roots Hall should give him a warm welcome.

It's not a silly poll at all. What is silly is the opinion of the OP who doesn't even know how long PS was here for. What the poll does is show the OP that he is in a minority of one

I dont think any genuine Southend Utd fan would boo Sturrock for what he achieved in his first season if nothing else.

Of course we would cheer him. Haven't forgot what he did for this club (and Wembley). Paul Sturrock will always be welcomed at RH.

I was hardly the biggest PS fan and I'm glad he went, but why would I boo him? How odd.

Back