• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I agree. Anyway, I understand that Wembley was funded and rebuilt on the basis that it would host various events, such as England matches, FA Cup Semi-Finals and Final, LDV final, play off finals etc. Without that commitment, the project wouldn't have gone ahead in the first place. I totally agree, that if we played Fleetwood it would be best played at Villa Park etc, but it's not going to happen.

I also see that side that it is every team, fans, players, managers dream to play at wembley. I would be extremely ****ed off if we hadn't played at Wembley before but because we were playing Fleetwood in the final we had to play at for example Villa Park. So there are pros and cons to both sides and the final will always be at wembley and for Conference, league one and league two it will always be half empty when the final is played.

Can't believe some people would really rather play at Villa Park / Hotshite / W*t Sp*m than Wembley.

Can't believe some people would really rather play at Villa Park / Hotshite / W*t Sp*m than Wembley.

I'd like to clarify I would not rather play at any other venue I am just surprised that they don't make us play at other venues due to low attendances.

I'd like to clarify I would not rather play at any other venue I am just surprised that they don't make us play at other venues due to low attendances.

Low attendances are better than no attendances. Wembley need as many games as possible to repay their debts. Simples.

I also see that side that it is every team, fans, players, managers dream to play at wembley. I would be extremely ****ed off if we hadn't played at Wembley before but because we were playing Fleetwood in the final we had to play at for example Villa Park. So there are pros and cons to both sides and the final will always be at wembley and for Conference, league one and league two it will always be half empty when the final is played.

Agreed. Ask those Canvey players who played their FA Trophy Final at Villa Park rather than Wembley. I was there and it was still a great day out, but just not the same.

I suspect many paid on the day?

85% of those 30k NEVER attend league games.

We sold out Roots Hall home ends for the entire Championship season, we have far more than 5,000 active supporters.

They may not go to every single game (some have to buy settees for example, or like me cant make weekday games etc) but I would say we would have 12,000 people through the turnstiles in a season, the club will certainly have a figure.

Plenty of daytrippers to Wembley of course, but thats a good thing, its one way of attracting new supporters through the turnstiles at Roots Hall.

The whole we only have x amount of fans or I hope it's only the loyal few that go to the game is just rubbish. We want to build a new 22,000 seater stadium and some sound like they are happy with their little exclusive club. Bugger that. I wanna see us play in a bigger ground against bigger sides with bigger attendences.

Bring all the day trippers, firsts gamers and "glory hunters" because they will be back and we grow to become a bigger side.

My first game game was West Ham in a friendly because me old man is a West Ham fan. He only took me because Southend were playing a "big side" but then I was hooked.

The whole we only have x amount of fans or I hope it's only the loyal few that go to the game is just rubbish. We want to build a new 22,000 seater stadium and some sound like they are happy with their little exclusive club. Bugger that. I wanna see us play in a bigger ground against bigger sides with bigger attendences.

Bring all the day trippers, firsts gamers and "glory hunters" because they will be back and we grow to become a bigger side.

My first game game was West Ham in a friendly because me old man is a West Ham fan. He only took me because Southend were playing a "big side" but then I was hooked.

I agree with most of what you're saying.

Yes, it is a bit annoying when lots of newbies turn up and dilute the atmosphere that the 'regulars' tend to build, however, we live in the real world and the newbies will turn up anyway so you might as well get used to it and they bring their money...

I do a fair bit in the theatre world and, trust me, in that world there is only really one maxim, it's 'bums on seats'. You'll never see a theatre turn away a paying punter. Every show runs on the basis of attracting a certain percentage of house occupancy, if it doesn't then they'll try some offers to get punters in on the basis of they'd rather fill a seat on the off chance that person will buy a profitable ice cream or drink in the interval, if that doesn't work the show closes. Simple economics.

As you say, the Club is in no position to turn paying punters away, it needs the money. No theatre would ever consider discouraging a customer from buying a ticket on the basis of 'you're not a regular theatre goer' while there's an empty seat available.
To draw an analogy, for example, Man U = Les Miserables, both running to full or virtually full houses since Noah were a lad; Most Lower League Clubs = I Can't Sing/Steven Ward - The Musical, all running to under break even houses; in the football world 'someone' keeps the clubs going by pumping money in, in the theatre world they're goners.

Airlines only fly from Southend to X destination if it makes money, as soon as a route starts making a loss it's gone.

All businesses are run on the same basis, it seems that it's just football that manages to run on a largely unsustainable business model; it can't do so forever......

I agree with most of what you're saying.

Yes, it is a bit annoying when lots of newbies turn up and dilute the atmosphere that the 'regulars' tend to build, however, we live in the real world and the newbies will turn up anyway so you might as well get used to it and they bring their money...

Who dilutes the atmosphere at Roots Hall ?

Some people seem to think Roots Hall is a cauldron of noise, its hardly the norm for all 5000 or so regulars to be making a lot of noise there, not sure why people then expect Wembley to be full of ultras.

As you say in the rest of your post (which I removed from quote to save space), its bums on seats, the more people we get interested in coming to see the club the better. If only we had a new 4 seater stadium ready to make the most of the new wave of optimism.

Who dilutes the atmosphere at Roots Hall ?

Some people seem to think Roots Hall is a cauldron of noise, its hardly the norm for all 5000 or so regulars to be making a lot of noise there, not sure why people then expect Wembley to be full of ultras.

Agreed that it's not exactly a cauldron, that's why I said 'tend to build' perhaps 'some try to build' would have been a better choice of words.

And you're dead right about it being about bums on seats.
Don't know about today but the last time we were in the Championship it was generally reckoned in a couple of articles that I saw that a Championship squad of 25 players required an average gate of 15-18,000 just to service a wage bill to enable them to have a squad of competitive Championship quality that stood a fair chance of staying in the Division.
I'm pretty sure that wages won't have reduced sufficiently to make a 12,000 capacity ground a viable proposition at that level without it doing serious damage to the financial viability of a club; something I think we pretty much proved last time.
It's interesting to note that as Robbie Cowling has slowly reduced his bank rolling of the other team up the road and they've increasingly been effected by having to rely more and more on their gate money that the quality of their squad, and therefore their finishing positions each year, has been in a steady decline.

I expect we would sell around 22,000 tickets. However, my initial estimate for the JPT Final was about 35% out. I really think I (and others) underestimate the potential support for Southend United.

Back